Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which of these spells would you use to LOCK something?

Antilohomora 0.2 20.0% [ 3 ]
Colloportus 0.66666666666667 66.7% [ 10 ]
Closeitupitus 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Lockomora 0.13333333333333 13.3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 15 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Wheezing Codger

User Image

Selfish Cowardly Awkward Unlikable
        ██████████████████████████████████████████████
        xxxxxxxxxxABEL, potions professor
        Potions classroom I found something shinier than any treasure. Look for the next page in my story!

INDENT Okay, he would start off this class - it was the seventh years - by welcoming them back. He'd write on the board a list of all the potions they would do. Then he'd make another list on another board of all the written assignments he wanted. And then he would explain what the expectations are, what the rules are, and then he'd... he'd...

INDENT Abel entered the room from the supply closet and froze when his eyes fell upon all the students in the room. His mind vacated the premises and his hands were stuffed in his pockets. Papers, paper, where were those papers he was reading the night before--? He really left them in his office?! The professor ducked back into the supply closet and closed the door behind him. It wasn't time for class to start yet, anyway...!

INDENT Okay. Okay, Plan B.

INDENT The "Potions Master" grabbed at a number of ingredients, sifting through shelves. In the very back he found a peculiar jar with swirling, metallic gold contents. Was that really Felix Felicis? He plucked it from the shelf and unstoppered the bottle. He observed the surface of it begin to come to life, rippling of its own accord. Yeah, it had to be. He stuck a finger inside, swirled it about, then stuck that finger in his mouth. The jar was corked and put back on the shelf in the far back.

INDENT Okay. Now, Plan B... Plan B was a bad idea. A different approach would be better!

INDENT Loading his arms with various bottles, Abel emerged back into the room, empowered. The room had filled to the size he expected. The ingredients were placed down on the table in the front of the room.

INDENT
            "W, welcome back. Now, you're all seventh years... I'll do my best to prepare you for your NEWTs. This year, we'll be learning..." Abel trailed off, turning to scavenge for chalk. He found some a distance away. He began to take a step and decided against it, taking out his wand. Why waste effort writing when he could have the chalk write for him? But then an even better idea popped into his head. He continued with renewed gusto, "...lots of stuff, I guess. It's our first day back, so let's do some review. I'm going to hold up something, and you have to tell me what it is, and what you did over break."

INDENT One of the jars on the front table were held up. It was full of some goopy substance, Billywig-sting slime. He looked to the first student closest to him. There were no students in the first row (there hardly ever was unless there was a full class), and so he looked to the second row, at a particular Slytherin girl with dark hair that was always attentive in his classes throughout the years.

Naughty Grabber

User Image
Arianna "Aria" LeStrange
Seventh Year Slytherin
[Potions Fanatic]

Once class started, Arianna stopped mucking up the edges of her papers to pay attention. Professor Abel, as usual, seemed a touch nervous, but with a sense of renewed confidence hovering over him like an invisible cloud. He mentioned that they were to identify potions, or ingredients, and discuss what they had done whilst away from Hogwarts. A simple enough task, she thought, if most of her summer hadn't been spent just wishing to be back at school. She didn't have a chance to give her break much remembrance as the teacher selected her for the first participant.

Arianna stood up, as was customary, and she stepped closer. The smell wafting from the bottle should have been indicative enough, and thus shouldn't have needed to get a better look, but Aria, being the inquisitive sort, and needing to know for sure, examined the contents, both as she walked, and once she stopped. Her heart was pounding heavily in her chest as she fought the rising heat in her face. When she finally opened her glossy lips to speak, she replied,
"That's Billywig Sting Slime. It's a main ingredient in Wiggenweld potions for its powerful healing properties."

Returning to her desk, her gaze fell to her open notebook, having not realized that there was a paper sticking out, and what was visible was half of a robe-clad Professor Abel, pointing his wand at some unseen foe. Aria pushed the paper inside the book before it could be seen by anyone else and continued, knowing she had yet to mention her break activities. "As for what I did over break..." she began, biting her lip with her back to Abel, "I went on holiday with the Malfoys and Rose Weasley to New Zealand, where I had access to some rare and wonderful supplies. I spent most of it, however, hoping to get back to school." Rose had become a regular visitor to Malfoy Manor, since she had been dating Scorpius for some time, and Aria was grateful when she was around because it kept her cousin busy for a few hours.

Her voice lowered slightly as she revealed the last thing she did, but she wasn't sure if she wanted everyone to know, but it just kind of spilled out of her,
"I also went to visit my mum..." There was a collective gasp that echoed from the open mouths of her classmates, and a low whisper of taunts. Great...just what she had hoped to avoid. Given her last name, it wasn't hard to know who Arianna's real parents were. Aria wasn't like them, not entirely, but she did have her mother's strong will, short temper, and determination. The young witch took her seat, trying to tune out the murmurs, knowing she wouldn't be able to just cast an overall langlock curse, so she'd have to endure it.

Wheezing Codger

User Image

Potions classroom I found something shinier than any treasure. Look for the next page in my story!

INDENT Abel half-listened to the girl's words after she had correctly identified the jar of slime. The hand then sought another glass and gripped the lid of some jarred snakeweed. His eyes looked everywhere but the girl talking, until the tail end of her words. He had picked up on key terms within her words, and got the gist of her message. What was more interesting was the way the other students seemed to react to her final words. Such a reaction implied that her mother was quite a topic; what was this girl's name again? The professor shifted his weight as he thought. Ar.... Arianna, yes, that was right, and her surname? It was Le... LeStrange, yes. Wasn't that the name of one of the Death Dealers Eaters? And those Death Eaters were the followers of that person. A little potion-induced voice whispered in his head once more and the professor straightened, standing as tall as his figure would allow.

INDENT
            "I haven't visited my mother in years," Abel stated aloud, for the whole class to hear. "That makes me a bad son, doesn't it?"

INDENT The slight hint of regret to his voice changed as he attempted to carry the topic further away from mention of the girl's Death-Eater heritage. The jar his hand rested on was lifted and he cheerfully continued,
            "Next, you, name the ingredient and what you did over break."

INDENT After he had made his way through the class, he finally found his written speeches stuffed under an unused cauldron. The same speech he gave on the first class of every year was repeated once again, stating his expectations and goals - things like I will prepare you to do your very best on your NEWTs, and teach you valuable potions skills and no horseplay, no making fun of people including me, no using these skills against another student. He then listed on the board a list of potions he was going to make with the class and there there was a list of papers and their due dates. With all that stuff taken care of, he looked to the board, then looked out to the class. There was still a lot of time until the end of the class, Perfect.

INDENT
            "All right, for those of you who haven't touched a cauldron since the last time we were in class together, I want all of you to make me a potion. Show me what you can do, something that can be completed by the end of this class." Each student would be making their own potion. The class was small enough for each student to have their own cauldron. To the professor it was an excellent opportunity to get real-world practice but to the students it was just more work. As if that wasn't enough to make the class groan, he added "This will be your first grade. Impress me."

INDENT The class then begrudgingly set off to raid the supplies while the professor observed from his front desk. He would only step in if someone needed him, if someone was about to make something go horribly wrong, or if something would pique his interest.

Naughty Grabber

User Image
Arianna "Aria" LeStrange
Seventh Year Slytherin
[Potions Fanatic]

After stories from students had gone around about their summer vacation activities, and the lingering chatter from those daring to continue their teasing about her mother, she overheard the teacher make a mention that he hadn't seen his own mother in a long time. It made her feel, a little less awful about her family tree, though, there was still a pang of sadness for the man.

The feelings of pity for her teacher were short lived when he declared they were to make a potion of their choosing. Finally! There was chatter from those around her discussing simple potions, like Girding potions, Antidotes to common poisons, and someone mentioned making a beautification potion. Aria, however, already had her potion plans churning the wheels in her head. Opening a hard-cover notebook from her bag, with a picture of the wolfsbane flower on the front - a gift from the Malfoys for her birthday two years back - and began flipping through the pages. Somewhere in the middle, she found it. The page read: "Amortentia Revised" across the top in cursive.

With the ingredients listed down one side of the page in her own handwriting, she gathered the supplies she would need, and also pulled a few from her bag that she had brought from home. Vials and jars lined her table, and since there was no one sitting next to her, she had the whole table to herself. It was fine with her as she liked having the extra elbow room.

In a medium sized cauldron, placed over a burner, Aria opened a styrofoam box that contained smoking cubes of ice that were a soft seafoam hue. Carefully, she placed the nineteen ounce block of glacial sea ice into the cauldron, letting it melt slowly over the low flame as she readied her next ingredient. She sliced open five vanilla beans and added the fragrant pulp, as directed according to her notes, every four minutes, while stirring slowly in between.

Though the recipe normally called for a twenty-four hour 'simmer period', Aria had discovered a means of altering the recipe over break and with a tiny .12 FL Oz vial pulled from her bag with a smokey, dusty purple colored substance swirling inside, she smiled and unstoppered it. She dripped four smokey drops from her Essence of Time (which was NOT easy to find!) into the cauldron and smiled into the vat and stirred it according to the page, in multiple directions.

After a while, she opened a jar and pulled her wand from her robes. Softly, she recited,
"Wingardium Leviosa..." and multiple frozen, but still bright red eggs, a little smaller than a muggle's ping-pong ball, floated into the cauldron. As each fell into the mixture, a small flame rose from the surface, and she was sure to stand clear of it. The smoke from her brewing potion was fairly strongly scented, like burning paper, and it made the witch cough a bit, and fan the smoke away with her hand before turning the flame up to increase the heat.

While that 'cooked', she pulled a bowl toward her where she added moonberries and belladonna seeds. She crushed the mixture into a powder and added a bit of rose oil. Her recipe, unlike the original, also included three rose thorns, which she added with the oil. She set the bowl aside then went to work cutting candied crab apples in half and dropping them, one by one, into the pot and stirring between them.

Grabbing three cherry blossoms, she set them on the surface of the liquid and waited. If she didn't time it just right, the potion would be ruined and all her hard work would be for nothing. She bit her bottom lip and watched carefully as the blossoms wilted. With a spoon, she scooped them out and dropped them in the trash. Then, back to stirring as she turned down the heat again...

Using a strainer, she removed the pulp and solid bits from the surface of the potion and while stirring again, slowly brought the heat back up over a due course of time. Between activity, her golden gaze would seek out the professor, and watch him either at his desk, or wandering around the classroom. If he ventured a glance at her, Aria's attention quickly returned to her potion.

A pomegranate was pulled from her pile of supplies and with the aid of a strainer placed over the cauldron, she painstakingly squeezed the juices from every seed until her fingertips were stained a rich purple-red. The seeds were tossed out and the heat was reduced again as she stirred slowly until the rolling boil ceased. Finally, a large, fresh pearl was dropped into the potion, and where it hit the surface, the mother-of-pearl sheen took over the entire mixture. Swirling smoke wafted from it, giving off multiple scents, depending on who was smelling it. For Aria, she caught a wiff of cast iron cauldrons, gardenias, warm sugar, and Professor Abel's hair.

The potion took nearly all six hours of class to complete, and by the time she was finished, she was exhausted, but satisfied with her creation. She fell back onto her seat with a sigh, smiling, and just enjoying the smells from her potion. She had never actually tried her potion's effectiveness, given the small additives and changes she made to it, but it was still an extremely complicated, and some might say, dangerous, love potion.
"Finished..."

Wheezing Codger

User Image

INDENT Abel spent the time almost evenly divided between sitting around and walking about. He prowled up and down the aisle of work-stations, reviewing the work of his seventh-year students. There were over-ambitious students who were destined to fail and there were under-ambitious students who were trying to perfect a lower-level potion. As students finished he would make his rounds, evaluate if it conformed to the standards of its potion type, and then make sure from the student it was what he thought it was. Luckily this was an advanced class and there wasn't too much deviation from the potion norms. LeStrange was one of the last students to finish and therefore was one of the last students left in the room. The professor approached and looked down at the cauldron. Steam rose in lazy, spiralling wisps and the scent was a blend of particularly enticing things, though what in particular he couldn't name. The pearly sheen on the surface of the fluid, when coupled with the steam, seemed to hint towards Amortentia, but the time it took to fully brew was not within the time limit. Based on the time constraints, though, there was no way...!

INDENT
            "Very fragrant," Abel commented, peering down into the cauldron. It really did seem like Amortentia, but that would be impossible! "What is it you've tried to make?"

INDENT Clearly, the only explanation is that she tried to make something and failed. No potion could mimic the renown love potion so strongly, and so she must have made something and failed; hence, the shaky diagnosis of it. Normally, he recalled, LeStrange was an excellent student. For her to have messed up, something must have been distracting her. Abel's eyes darted down to her work station, looking at ingredients that hadn't been put away. They didn't help.

surf_fari's Significant Otter

Wily Werewolf

User Image
    S E L E N A L O V E G O O D
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw

[Seer-in-Training]

⌚ ☕ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Selena played with Raeleus until Hagrid had finished feeding the Hippogriffs. When the meat was gone, the young colts mother called for him, a resounding, commanding sound. The young Hippogriff gave her one final nuzzle before trotting over to his mother. The magnificent adult stared at her, and Selena again bowed before the beast. The female hesitated a moment, then returned the bow, rose and turned, using her wing to guide her son away, the two of them eventually taking flight after the rest of the herd, toward their hidden home deeper in the woods. Selena beaming, turned to Hagrid. Her morning thus far had been lovely. Just then her stomach growled. "Have yeh not eaten yet?" exclaimed Hagrid, "Why we best get you fed!" The girl raised one hand in the air, elbow bent, palm toward Hagrid. "Now, Hagrid, I brought breakfast with me. The elves are always kind to early risers." The girl smiled. "Don't worry, I left this early to see Firenze for some early morning Divination studies." Hagrid wasn't having any of it. "Oh no you don't, all students 'ere at Hogwarts eat a proper breakfast every mornin'. That includes you. Now come along. If you won't go wait for the meal in the great hall, come an' have breakfast with me, yeh hear?"

The girl, giving in, nodded, smiling, and followed the large man back to his hut. He brought her inside, and sat her down, and she ate what Milly had given her while Hagrid set about making breakfast for the two of them. When he was done, he plopped the plate in front of her heaping with eggs, sausage and slightly burnt toast. "Well, go on, eat up. I'll admit its not nearly as grand as what you'd get o'er in the Great 'all, but its there in its own quantity, so dig in." The girl, laughing gently to herself, picked up the over sized fork and began to eat. Just when she thought she was done, and could leave, Hagrid offered her tea. "Thank you Hagrid, but I really should be going. I need to get some meditation done, and then I have to practice reading natural signs for a while, and then its off to History of Magic, then back this way again for more tutoring. And before you say anything, yes I will sit down two more times and eat a proper meal each time before the day is over." She smiled, getting up and collecting her bag. "Thank you very much Hagrid, and I'll see you later." With that, the young girl let herself out the door and rushed down the steps toward the Forbidden Forest, Hagrid watching her go and shaking his head. "You be careful now, yeh hear?" He called after her. "Yes Hagrid!"

Finally, Selena made it back into the trees, and ran to the clearing her mother had once told her about where Thestrals gathered. Selena loved to watch the magnificent beasts as they moved through their lives. She always found them so intriguing, yet close. Yes, she could see them. Sadly, she had watched her Grandfather on her mother's side die. It was in a hospital bed at St. Mungo's, quietly, his granddaughter humming a gentle tune and holding his hand. That was in her second year. She tossed an apple she had grabbed at Hagrids to one of the graceful beasts, then sat down, her bag close beside her, removed her shoes and folded her legs into the half-lotus position. She closed her eyes and began to focus her breathing. Slowly, the life in the forest she had disturbed when she ran through resumed, and the sounds of the Forest surrounded her, filling her ears, giving her a sense of calm, just as the sound of the wind through the Ravenclaw tower did when she went to sleep. The girl focused on breathing - in for seven counts, hold for seven counts, out for seven counts, hold for seven counts, repeat. At one point, she felt lips nibbling her hair, and opened her eyes to see a unicorn. She smiled gently and returned to her breathing, her mind clearing of everything as she meditated. She felt the beast lay down at her back and curl around her, and she was grateful for the warmth it provided. The girl stayed there for a long time before she began to resort every image that had flowed into her head the day before, and all the new ones that flowed in every second.

Both Firenze and Professor Trelawney had found her description of the constant images strange, both saying that they had never experienced that before themselves. The professor, not knowing how to deal with it, had always dismissed it, and tried to make her focus on an object, always making her look for a sign to interpret, or some other such thing. One day, Selena became so fed up, she walked out of her private lesson halfway through, and ran to the Forbidden Forest. As a child, her mother had told her stories of the creatures there, so from her very first year Selena had made a habit of entering the Forest when she didn't have classes and exploring it. The day she ran into it, sobbing from the pain and sleepless nights the constant images caused her, and the ignorance of her teacher, Firenze met her. In the clearing where she was sitting now, in fact. He told her he had had a premonition of her coming, and therefore met her. She did not question him, but instead confided in him all her troubles. He began to teach her simple ways of meditation, and slowly but surely, her focus improved. When her marks in all her classes improved significantly, the Headmaster called her to their office and asked how she had improved. Selena had simply smiled and said. 'I can focus now. The pictures don't distract me all the time anymore, so I can simply do the work or listen to the teacher or read the assigned pages without zoning out. And I can sleep. Do you have any idea how glorious it is to have a dreamless sleep?' The Headmaster shook their head. 'Let me tell, you, its wonderful, simply wonderful!' The Headmaster, taken a back by her words, asked her if Professor Trelawney had been the one to help her achieve this. The girl shook her head. When the Headmaster asked who, the girl smiled. 'Firenze did. He's a wonderful teacher, and figured out how to help me manage the flow of images.' The Headmaster, hearing this, made arrangements for her next year at Hogwarts. Firenze would tutor her, not Professor Trelawney, for which the girl was eternally grateful.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ⌚ ☕
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

INDENTWhere I am The Forbidden Forest
    INDENTWho I'm with A Unicorn
    INDENTHow I feel ...meditating...
    INDENT

OOC: When I originally finished typing this, it was seven paragraphs... so I took out three after a sort of time skip, and I'm saving them for my next post. ★

Naughty Grabber

User Image
Arianna "Aria" LeStrange
Seventh Year Slytherin
[Potions Fanatic]

Arianna lifted her golden orbs when the professor assessed her potion quizzically, and just the puzzled look on his face made her smile. Her 'uncle' had given a similar expression when she had been experimenting with the recipe that summer, convinced it was impossible. Reopening her notebook to the altered recipe for the powerful love potion, she handed it to the man before speaking softly, "I made a love potion. It's my version of Amortentia, Professor. I toyed with it this summer, but didn't want to boast about it publicly. I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know if it's more or less potent than the original."

It was a bittersweet confession, though she did know the brew was not ruined...just, untested. Since she had regathered her energy, she stood from her seat and slowly began to gather up the used supplies. Once she cleaned up the mess of vials, jars, peels, and crumbs, and wiped off the desk's surface, she stood in front of the teacher, her cheeks tinted the softest shade of pink. "Sir, have you ever come across a substance called 'Essence of Time' in your years of potion making?" To prove it was a real item, and not just something she was making up, Aria pulled the tiny vial of purple smoke-like substance from her bag again and held it out to him in her palm. "It wasn't easy to get, but when I'm in a time crunch, it works well. Trouble is, I can't seem to figure out how to replicate it. I've tried using 'geminio' but it's as if it's immune."

Wily Werewolf

User Image
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw

[Seer-in-Training]

Selena - having meditated for a good half-hour since the unicorn arrived - came out of her trance, allowing her breathing to slowly return to normal, and began to slowly move her limbs again. Just as she was stretching her numb arms and legs, the unicorn snorted, and Selena looked up to see Firenze trotting towards her, arms crossed. "How many times must I tell you to shoo away any Unicorns?" The girl rolled her eyes. "I was in the middle of meditating! You can't expect me to shoo him away then! And you know that I have to stretch once I'm done so that my limbs will move properly again! The centaur sighed, and shook his head as Selena sent the Unicorn on its way. That done, she turned to her tutor, hands on her hips. "Its not my fault they think its fine to approach me like they would Hagrid!" The teacher and pupil glared at each other for a while before Selena finally realized how ridiculous the entire situation was and started laughing. The centaur, shaken out of his stern glare, smiled helplessly. "What is one to do when the student is not at fault and the creature that is at fault is gone? Come, let us go and warm up your muscles before we do any training." The centaur picked up her bag as the the girl put her shoes back on, and then started to trot, the girl jogging alongside. The day had warmed from that early morning chill, and the mist had all but cleared in the outer parts of the Forest. They jogged/trotted for fifteen minutes, and when they stopped Selena's blood was flowing and she was sweating a little.

The girl and the centaur then made there way to where the materials Firenze had set up were, and began her practice at reading natural signs. When they had finished, the clock tower was chiming two 'o clock. The girl stretched and with a flick of her wand packed her ink quills, notes and spare parchment into her bag. She picked up the bag and beamed at Firenze. "Goodbye, I'll see you around seven for star studies then." The centaur nodded. "Do not forget to ask your Headmaster if we might use the Observation Tower." The girl nodded, and the mismatched pair began to walk back towards the school. At the edge of the Forest, they said their goodbyes, and Selena headed to the great hall for a quick lunch before she had to head to History of Magic. Unlike most young witches and wizards, Selena found this course intriguing, and particularly liked it because their teacher, Professor Binns, always gave her page numbers she could find summaries of the teachings that day in the text book or notes could the information not be found in the published article, in case she had missed anything that day due to visions. He was one of the few professors who was so understanding, and the girl was very grateful for it, for it was one of the few courses in which she had always done exceptionally well.

Her continued pursuit of the History of Magic was fueled both by that and the fact that she actually found History rather intriguing. She sat and took notes the best she could ever lecture, and always managed to pay attention for at least part of the lecture these days, thanks to her divination tutor. Having finished her brief lunch in the Great Hall, Selena made her way to History of Magic and waited outside the classroom until the previous class was dismissed and emptied the room. She then entered the class and took a seat towards the front of the room by the window, where she could hear the teachers droning voice well, but still be out of the way should she have a 'vision break' as her Professor called it. She smiled at the Professor as she sat down. "Good afternoon Professor Binns, how was your vacation?" The old ghosts drooping eyes turned to watch the girl as the transparent Professor replied. "Good afternoon. I had an enjoyable break, thank you. Welcome back." The girl beamed at the Professor a moment before replying. "Thank you Sir." With that, the conversation ended, the way they often did, and the young witch sat back and waited as her fellow classmates slowly trickled into the room. As expected, the class was tediously small during fifth and sixth years, and last year Selena had been one of three students in that particular time slot. There were always classes at multiple points during the week, should there be schedule conflicts, and Selena found this rather helpful. She relaxed and closed her eyes until the droning started, calming her mind for the learning of a different subject.

⌚ ☕
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

INDENTWhere I am History of Magic - Classroom 4f
    INDENTWho I'm with Professor Binns
    INDENTHow I feel Relaxed and content
    INDENT

OOC: The three earlier omitted paragraphs. Enjoy the read! ★

Wheezing Codger

User Image

INDENT Amortentia. So he was right. That explained how pleasant the potion smelled... it was his favourite scents. The professor extended his hand, touching it to the back of her notebook; it was passed to him and he reviewed her notes. He then began flipping through it, curious to find any other 'improvisations' within its pages. While his fingers skimmed through the pages, he answered, "Once. It was very expensive and the only little vial of it, back when I was in London. I had never heard of it before, I didn't believe it worked, and I didn't have the money to just try it."

INDENT A paper began to slip from somewhere else in the notebook and his free hand scrabbled to catch it. It crinkled in his hand (in his slight panic his grip had been a little too tight), and he flipped to where the paper was stuck. It was the drawing that had carelessly been left in plain view before. Abel's eyebrows knitted as he scrutinized the picture. Unlike his brother, he was not gifted with any artistic ability, but this picture kind of reminded him of... well, that wasn't important. He flipped back to the Amortentia page and placed the notebook back down on the work table.

INDENT
            "The only way to see if your potion works as it's supposed to is to test it," the professor admitted. He quickly jogged to the front demonstration table and poked about for something. Finding it, he returned and placed the small vial and matching stopper on Aria's work table. "But it's not right to test it on people. So, um, I guess, um, figure out a safe way to test it. But I'll have to dispose of what you made because its safety isn't proven. All those extra ingredients could have changed its properties, and stuff. But, um, if it turns out that that Essence of Time doesn't modify the effects of the brew, then I would like to get some for myself."

INDENT The professor would have to get some house-elves to dispose of the brew properly before the next class came in about a half-hour later.

Naughty Grabber

User Image
Arianna "Aria" LeStrange
Seventh Year Slytherin
[Potions Fanatic]

The dark haired Slytherin leaned against the desk as she watched the professor analyze her notebook. His comment on the rarity of her 'secret' ingredient didn't come as a shock, as she had never come across it, herself, before traveling abroad, and even so, the tiny vial she obtained was as he said - expensive. Aria had to barter with the wizard she got it from with the only talent she had outside of potion-making...her drawing skill. She had to spend a day drawing the wizard in various 'heroic' poses with his cat until his face had been engrained in her head.

"It seems to work for me, but I'm still testing it on time sensitive potions. I'd like to test it on a polyjuice potion, but because it's against the rules for a student to brew it outside of class, I was hoping you might let me experiment with it another time?" she questioned softly. Aria was then quiet as he thumbed through her other recipes until she saw him catch, and slightly crumple, the drawing of himself she had done over the break. Her eyes grew wide and her face grew hot, a faint squeak of embarrassment slipped from her lips. She braced herself to defend the drawing and answer any inquiry he may have had about it, but he spared her further embarrassment by not saying a word, and instead, tucked it back inside her notebook. She was tempted to thank him, but said nothing.

He wandered off to fetch a vial for her to save some of the potion for testing, and she picked it up, pouring enough of the liquid to fill the vial. Once it was stoppered, she placed it within her bag, and in turn found her own small vial, or a 'single serving' vial as she liked to think of them, much like the one he had given her. It too was filled and added to the other in her bag. She didn't like the idea of leaving her new brew out in the open, just to be disposed of, but as it was an assignment, and she had her samples, she tried to not let it get to her too much.

"If I can find a way to replicate the Essence of Time, I'll get you some." she noted softly, her gaze focused on the floor in front of her shoes. Her cheeks were still flushed pink. "And I'll find a way to test the potion, and have the results on your desk soon, Professor."

The bell rang throughout the building, signaling the end of class. She didn't want to leave, but she did have another advanced potions class the next day...'Tell him...say how you feel, coward!' her head was yelling at her, but she just offered her crush a warm smile and slung the bag's strap over her shoulder, "I guess, I'll see you later, Professor. Have a nice day." She waved and walked toward the door before disappearing into the hallway amongst a flowing river of other students.

She stopped at the Great Hall long enough to grab a collection of finger-foods, stuffing them into her bag for later snacking, a warm ham and swiss sandwich, that she took a bite out of while walking, and a bottle of apple cider. She wasn't in the Great Hall for more than a few minutes, and that was fine with her as Scorpius wasn't there, and she didn't very well feel the need to find out why.

Eating as she went, she was quickly on her way to her next class - Charms. The class was a fraction of the time her Potions class had been, and seemed to fly by. She wasn't going to complain since Flitwick, though at times could be amusing, was the 'wrong kind of strict' and had a tendency to rub her the wrong way. She was one of the first students out of the room when the class had ended. Then, it was onto Defense Against the Dark Arts. That class was always entertaining in one way or another, and she found herself a seat near the front while everyone else filed in.

Wily Werewolf

User Image
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw

[Seer-in-Training]

Today's lecture was review of what they had learned in years prior - The Goblin Rebellions, the The 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct, The Uprise of Elfric the Eager, The Myth of the Chamber of Secrets, The Medieval Assembly of Wizards, The International Warlock Conventior of 1289, Florean Fortescue and Witch-Hunts... the man droned on and on in a monotone that could put almost anyone to sleep. However, Selena was erect in her seat, diligently taking notes and paying rapt attention to the teachers every word. At the end of the class, Selena had only been distracted by her images once, a new record. She beamed at the professor as he gave her the notes he had prepared previously, and thanked him before leaving the room.

It was four 'o clock - she had half an hour before DADA. She made her way to the Green House, and made sure there was no class in session before entering. Her father looked up just before pulling out the mandrake he was re-potting - good news for his daughter, who was not wearing earmuffs. Releasing the mandrake and removing his earmuffs, the girls father walked over to where his daughter was standing. "Anything wrong Selena?" The girl smiled. "Nothing wrong. I just need to find the Headmaster and get permission to use the observation tower for my Divination tutoring this evening." The man smiled and pulled off his gloves. "Let's go check his office then." With that, the man escorted his daughter out the door, and locking the greenhouse behind him, the pair made there way to the statue of the eagle that was the entrance to the headmaster's office. "Lemon Tarts." Neville spoke the password, and they were off, spiraling up the enchanted staircase to the Headmaster's office.

When they arrived, Neville knocked on the door, and they were bade to enter. Once again, Selena stared at the huge portrait of one Professor Snape, whom her mother and father had told her stories about. The girl shifted her gazed to look up the empty painting of Professor Dumbledore, whom she had also heard wonderful stories about. The girl turned her gaze to the current Headmaster, and gave them an airy smile, similar to that of her mother's. "Hello Headmaster." "Selena, Professor Longbottom." The figure behind the desk nodded to each of them in turn. "What can I do for you?" Selena continued her airy smile and allowed her father to explain. "Selena tells me that Firenze has requested use of the Observation Tower this evening. Would that be possible?"

The Headmaster smiled warmly. "Of course it would. At what time would you be needing it?" "Probably at about eight to eight-thirty, Sir." The man nodded. "I'll make sure that Professor Trelawney is at the front door to meet you." The girl inwardly groaned. The girl knew there had to be a teacher escort when Firenze wished to use the school facilities to teach her, but she didn't want Professor Trelawney to be there. She'd constantly be trying to correct Firenze. Her father, knowing her feelings on this, intervened. "Sir, if its alright, I'd like to observe the lesson. Could I perhaps act as escort instead?" The Headmaster smiled. "Very well Profesor Longbottom, you may. And Selena, you can tell me if Professor Trelawney gets pushy." The girl froze for a second, then smiled. "There never was any fooling you Sir. Thank you Sir." With that, the pair left, and split off eventually, each to their own destination, Neville to the greenhouse and Selena to the Great Hall to grab some snacks to eat on the way to DADA.

⌚ ☕
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

INDENTWhere I am On the way to DADA
    INDENTWho I'm with No one
    INDENTHow I feel Excited for this evening's tutoring.
    INDENT

OOC: I dunno, I time skipped. Hope its okay! ★

Naughty Grabber

User Image
Arianna "Aria" LeStrange
Seventh Year Slytherin
[Potions Fanatic]

As class began, a woman was at the front of the classroom, writing her name in the air in fiery letters that spelled "Professor Matilda Sashe." She turned around to address the class of N.E.W.T. students. "Welcome back to school everyone. For those of you that don't know who I am, my name is Matilda Sashe...Pronounced 'Saw-shay'. Now that we have that out of the way, and I'm sure by now, you're all tired of explaining what you did over the break, let's get straight to it then, shall we?" There was a warm note to her otherwise professional tone.

The teacher wandered slowly across the front of the classroom, taking out her wand and aiming it at herself. She exclaimed,
"Geminio!" and a twin of herself stepped from her side, mirroring the original. The real Professor shooed the doppelganger to the other side of the teaching area to be used momentarily. "Today, we're going to determine the difference between Light, and Dark magic. Sounds simple enough, yes, but let's test out a few spells."

Aria sat quietly, shifting her gaze from the 'real' professor to the 'dummy' professor, standing mindlessly at the front of the room. She had already made a few notes and was ready, and anxious to learn this seemingly intriguing lesson.

Sashe flicked her wand and muttered,
"Lumos" and walked toward her 'twin', waving the lit wand around it's face. Laughter arose softly as she prodded the figure a bit, but it was otherwise unharmed. "As we can see, Lumos, does no harm to a person, no matter how bright you make the light...unless you jab someone in the eye with a lit wand, which I do not suggest lest you want a week's detention. But what about this: Cantis!" A moment later, the double began to sing a surprisingly decent version of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds".

"Finite." The example stopped singing and the original smiled, "Can anyone give me an example of a controversial spell? One that, depending on the intention, may be either considered funny, or in anger would be cruel? If so, I want you to cast it at the dummy over there. If a spell strays to hit me..." she trailed off, shifting a warning look around at all the students.

Aria tapped her chin in thought before raising her hand. Upon acknowledgement, she stood and pointed the tip of her wand at the professor's double and called,
"Calvorio!" A stream of pale light shot toward the target and immediately, hair began to slop off its head, toward the floor, with a crowd of laughter being heard behind the Slytherin. The cheers were a bit of a confidence boost, not that she needed it. She'd cast the same curse on Scorpius two years back after he 'accidentally' made her pigmy puff plush explode. Aria took her seat again and watched the rest of the lesson.

Though the look of surprise was evident on the teacher's face, she nodded and smiled to Aria before selecting another student, this one, a Ravenclaw girl.
"Very good. Miss Lovegood, can you give us an example?"

Wily Werewolf

User Image
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw

[Seer-in-Training]

The girl stared at the teacher for a moment before standing, and transferring her gaze to the dummy. As she had arrived a little closer to the beginning of class, she was amongst a crowd of students, and she didn't want to hit anyone if she was distracted while casting the spell. The girl walked until she was standing just in front of her teacher, then thought for a moment before silently raising her wand. A small flock of birds appeared and attacked the dummy before again disappearing. There were a few remaining giggles as Selena turned and floated back to her seat. Professor Sashe seemed to be frozen in surprise. Perhaps watching these spells cast at a version of herself was rather...unnerving. She snapped out of it and smiled awkwardly at the girl. "Would you care to share them names of the spells you used with the class?" "Avis Oppugno and Finite, Professor." The teacher nodded, then continued to ask for demonstrations for a bit longer before moving on. One wizard from Hufflepuff cast Everte Statum, and a Gryffindor cast Etnomorphis. By the time that had finished, the class was halfway over.

The Professor talked a bit about different types of spells, and gave a small talk on appropriate uses of spells. She then spoke about the curriculum for a while, and ended with expectations for following classes. Apparently the beginning exercise had been to wake everyone up and get their attention. The woman gave them all a brief smile at the end of class, closing with, "I look forward to working with all of you, and I hope we can get along." With that, the lecture ended, and she gave the class time to chat a bit before she dismissed everyone. Selena had become distracted three times, and was now allowing herself some time to take a better look at the series of images that had caught her attention. A first year student falling into the Black Lake, and not resurfacing. She frowned. The image seemed reliable, and she was worried. It was a full moon in the image, and the first year was obviously out after curfew. They jumped at something, and managed to fall of the pier they were standing on into the lake. It looked like perhaps early November, late September, though the girl couldn't be sure. She'd have to tell Firenze about it later, to get a better idea of when this might occur, how she might prevent it, and the recurrences that might have.

⌚ ☕
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

INDENTWhere I am In DADA
    INDENTWho I'm with Professor Sashe and Larissa
    INDENTHow I feel Concerned
    INDENT

OOC: Meh. Its there. The warm temperatures have made me lazy. ★

Naughty Grabber

User Image
Arianna "Aria" LeStrange
Seventh Year Slytherin
[Potions Fanatic]

With classes over for the day, and the clock reading half past six, Arianna gathered up her belongings, tucking her notes and books inside her bag, and walked out of the room with everyone else. She casually bumped into the Ravenclaw girl that had been called upon after her at the start of class. With a look of surprise, Aria reached out a hand to touch the girl's shoulder to steady herself and the girl as she exclaimed, "Oh my. My apologies! Wow, I really need to pay more attention. I just keep running people over today." She laughed nervously before letting go of the girl's shoulder and offered a smile.

She extended her hand again, this time as an offer to shake,
"You're Selena, right? The Herbology professor's daughter? I'm Aria." Once the swarm of students, herself included, forced their way into the hall, she walked slowly, staying near the Ravenclaw girl to talk to her a bit. She had meant to be more talkative last year, but she was distracted with other things and never had the chance. It seemed that fate decided to wait until their final year at Hogwarts to let the pair officially meet. As a means to keep conversation, she added, "Think you'll be sticking around for the Holidays this year? The Christmas Ball is always fun, especially when there aren't as many bodies packed into the Great Hall."

Wily Werewolf

User Image
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw

[Seer-in-Training]

Selena was almost knocked over as she stood frozen in the path of other students. Fortunately, the girl who had bumped into her managed to steady the two of them as she rapidly apologized. "Oh my. My apologies! Wow, I really need to pay more attention. I just keep running people over today." The girl laughed rather nervously and released Selena's shoulder as she offered a smile, which the blue-eyed girl returned. "Not at all, completely my fault!" The Ravenclaw exclaimed, "I'm always getting distracted and freezing in the wrong place at the wrong time." The girl offered her hand as she again spoke, which Selena took in a handshake before releasing the girl. "You're Selena, right? The Herbology professor's daughter? I'm Aria." "Yes, that's right. Nice to meet you Aria." The girls were pulled along in the flow of students forcing their way into the hall, Selena trying to stick close to the girl she was talking to. Finally, they made it out and the crowd thinned a bit as the girls slowly made their way down the hall. "Think you'll be sticking around for the Holidays this year? The Christmas Ball is always fun, especially when there aren't as many bodies packed into the Great Hall."

Selena glanced over at the Slytherin and offered a quick smile before again concentrating on moving her feet. She was still feeling rather detached, and did not want to cause another accident. "Oh, I stay with my Dad every year, and Mum comes to visit us. Dad has to take care of the plants, and I need to stay near my Divination tutor for as long as possible, so its more practical that mum comes to see us. She doesn't mind, she likes sleeping under Hogwart's roof again. As for the the Christmas Ball, I don't often go, or if I go I don't stay for long. I find it rather noisy and distracting, though this year I may try to brave it for the entire duration." The girl smiled airily, her thoughts floating off on their own a little bit. "After all, it is the last year I shall ever be here as a student, and it is unlikely I will become a teacher." The girl glanced over at Aria again. "Shall we go to the Great Hall?" The girl began to head that way without waiting for an answer. She needed to sit and review her notes, and she was thirsty. As they continued walking, Selena picked up on the subject from before. "How about you, do you stay at Hogwarts over the holidays?"

⌚ ☕
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

INDENTWhere I am On the move.
    INDENTWho I'm with Aria
    INDENTHow I feel ...neutral...
    INDENT

OOC: Conversations really do make for shorter posts... ★

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff