Welcome to Gaia! ::

"Another minstrel?" Disres replied, rubbing his throat. "Well, I can't say I wouldn't be grateful for a change of pace. Perhaps he can sing a tune and I can tell some stories in the off time, or do some dancing and tricks." At the Pale Maiden he'd been earning their keep through nightly performances, and as a one-man troupe (though Tamut could sometimes provide some tumbling as entertainment to give his friend some rest) most of his acts were in song. Though they now had the windfall of Theoden's horde (even if Disres had his apprehensions about "stealing" the dragon's possessions), prior to that they'd been living on a small purse they'd been generously gifted by a silver dragon they'd encountered near Waterdeep, with no hint of where their next coin would come from.

"Yeah, let's load up tonight," Ryx said, with a nod of agreement, "and then we can go out and drink!"

---

Nym's first greeting as he returned to the room at the Rolling Tide was a well-sized and well-weighted pouch thrown directly at his head.

"I sold all of it." Szinas announced, not looking to see where his tossed projectile landed. He had upmost confidence in Nym's ability to catch. His attention was instead occupied by the spell book he'd pinched from Thoeden's horde upon their first visit. The room smelled faintly of mint and some rarer, sharp spice, coming from a tiny incense burner set up on the corner of the table where he sat.

"That's half, your share. A lot less bulky than what we hauled back. A lot of it was stolen, so its a bit less than I should've been able to get, but still more than I'd expected." As he spoke he turned a page but never took his eyes from the tome. "Once I'm done deciphering this and copying it, I'll likely sell it, too. A lot of good spells in here, from what I can tell. Not many that'll be of great use on a ship, though." He turned to his own spellbook, which looked tiny compared to the tome besides it, and began to scribe something.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,325 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
Nym shrugged. “I think I'll stay with the ship tonight.” he wanted to stay close to the sword and make sure that no one tried to steal it and he'd lost his taste for drinking in bars where the other patrons constantly gave him the fish eye and after his previous experience he didn't particularly want to go to the night market either. “I can keep an eye on our things and help the sailors get the ship ready”

He headed back to the Rolling Tide to pick up his own things and check on Szinas. He hadn't been expecting the other drow to throw a bag of coins at him, but his reflexes were good enough to catch the bag before it hit him. The weight of the bag caused him to forgive the throw. It was more money than he had seen in a long time.

I'm going to take my things to the ship tonight and keep an eye on them.” He said to Szinas who seemed immersed in studies. “I'm sure the captain could use some extra help with getting the ship ready. The kobolds are going drinking, or at least the paladin is, though I expect Ryx with probably join him. “ He wasn't sure if that would matter to Szinas or not.

He knew it wasn't the drow's fault that he had attacked him, but he still had no plans to spent the night alone with Szinas just in cas the urge to stab him returned. It would take a while for him to trust the way he had before. He would feel a lot more comfortable on a crowded ship than being alone with the other drow right now.

The captain also said there are two darthiir who have booked passage. He says that they have promised not to cause trouble with us, but we should probably still be careful. “ There were plenty of darthiir on the surface, but he still worried that the ones who had attacked him might still be out there. Still if these darthiir caused trouble, he hoped the halfling crew would stand up for him. But it was one of the many reasons he was planning on spending the night the ship. The longer the crew knew him, the less he was just a drow to them, more likely that they'd see him as a member of the crew.

If you want, I can take some of your stuff with me, or you can join the ship at sunrise. It's up to you.”
"I will join you at sunrise." Szinas replied, not looking up. "I would like to finish up some business in town before we depart." Only years of carefully practiced schooling of his expression prevented the drow from grinning.

---

I do not like ships, Szinas thought as he gazed off the side of the deck of the Water Drake. Barely a minute into his first transit on a vehicle of the open seas and he could already feel his stomach rebelling (though he supposed it could've been his nerves rather than seasickness). He'd retrieved Talen's letter that morning from the Surly Maid, and while he regretted not having the more psychotic of the two cousins along for the journey, he could hardly begrudge the success of his plans. As long as he stayed out of sight (not too hard of a task, he thought, on a ship so large) he would suffer no problems from the half-elf, and there was no doubt that the distraction would give him time to re-possess the sword. What he intended to do from there was a little less clear, but at least one of the spells he'd learned from the spellbook he'd been studying would be of use if he had to leave the ship... prematurely.

"I do not like ships," he muttered to Nym, and he shifted his weight to lean almost entirely on the rail. They were still tied to the dock, awaiting the kobolds, some of the other passengers, and cargo. Szinas was curious as to who the other darthiir was, though he supposed it would be best if he was belowdecks shortly after his or her arrival.

He'd been very tight-lipped about what "business" he'd been tending to in town that morning, though he had three fat tomes written in dwarven runes for his efforts. "So I do not become bored," he'd explained, before shoving them away into the single chest in the tiny cabin they'd rented. Eo was asleep in the cabin, though he'd been appropriately surly when being introduced to the crew (and thankfully the captain had not been present). Other than that, Szinas had left his backpack and cloak belowdecks, but kept a belt knife and his chest-pouch on his person. He had not once even looked at the beautifully gilded wooden box Nym carried.

"How long are we to be on this vessel?" He asked, already knowing the answer but craving conversation of some sort regardless. He tried not to think about the sword, and mostly succeeded.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,325 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
It is the fastest way to Waterdeep.” he replied to Szinas. Watching Szinas leaning against the railing, Nym couldn't help but feel a little bit of pity for his companion. It brought back memories of his own first voyage aboard a ship. It had been a job taken, as most where, out of desperation. It offered more money than any job he could get on land and Nym had taken it despite his reservations.

He had been sick as dog for the first day or so. But an old human sailor had taken pity on him and suggested that he might feel a bit better on deck. He hadn't believed him but out of desperation, he'd followed his advice and found the pitching and rolling of the deck was a little easier once he could see the waves that caused it. He found his sea legs not long after and then discovered despite all expectations that he actually rather liked being at sea.

He had never been one to be afraid of hard work and unlike most drow, had learned to swim since he had spent his youth living close enough to a volcanic vent that the waters of the rivers were not icy cold and the underground rivers were the only way was the cheapest way to get clean. Once on the sea, anyone who proved willing to pitch in soon one the admiration of the most experienced sailors, and the prejudices of the shore tended to ease a little after the first storm.

Now the only reason that Nym wasn't on a boat more was that most captains were reluctant to take drow on board. But he'd had more than enough experience t o have impressed the halfling crew the night before and he already felt more comfortable aboard this ship than he had on shore. The halflings were a cheerful group, and after some initial suspicion seemed to at least accept Nym. It wasn't many passengers who would show up the night before and help them load the seemingly endless crates of food.

But now the hardwork of loading the ship was done and they had only to wait for the rest of the passengers. The darthiir worried Nym the most. The first of them was arriving. He was a half darthiir from the look of it and in the company of a young human woman. He looked fairly young and there was a strong resemblance between the pair, as they both had curly brown hair. She was short and a little on the chubby side, and he was taller and thin. They were both handsome in a way humans would call wholesome, and seemed to be fairly cheerful. He wore a sword at his side, but it was clear he didn't know much about fighting as it wasn't anywhere he could reach it quickly. But he hovered to to the woman, clearly very protective.

As they moved up the gangplank, he noticed that she wore a rather prominent symbol of Tymora around her neck. It made Nym feel a little bit better about them. The pair seemed to notice the drow and the woman whispered something to her companion. He nodded and they moved on to the ship, talking to the captain, but the half elf kept glancing over at the two drow, the expression on his face wasn't hostile but more curious as if they were the first drow he'd ever seen and despite himself, he couldn't help but stare a little.

Well that's the first one.” Nym said to Szinas since they were well out of earshot. “One more.” He was relieved that the first of the darthiir didn't look like much of a threat. It was probably foolish, but he was still worried he might encounter the darthiir from that terrible night. He hadn't told Szinas about it, though Szinas hadn't asked about his injuries either. After the incident with the sword, a distance had fallen between them and Nym hadn't felt as comfortable with the idea of confiding in the other drow.
"And cutting off one's own arm is the fastest way to lose ten pounds. That does not make it pleasant, or practical." Szinas felt the dryness of his humor an appropriate contrast to all the water around them. They had't even left the port and yet the drow had already solidified his hatred of ships and watercraft in his mind. There was no comfortable way to just stand, with the floor beneath him constantly moving and swaying and throwing off his balance. It made him feel terribly ungraceful, and grace was all that stood between his foul temperament and the outside world at the moment.

When the first (half) darthiir approached Szinas had to resist the urge to growl in frustration - where was Talen? He'd claimed to have booked passage on the Water Drake... perhaps once his anger waned his fear got the best of him. He doubted that. Talen struck him as a tool and an idealist, but not a coward. Assuming the boy showed up as planned the only piece left in the puzzle would be how to avoid becoming a target himself. It was a larger obstacle than Szinas wanted to admit to it being.

Perhaps I'll just conveniently disappear once we're at-sea?

The idea was tempting but impractical. Szinas was not a water mage and would have a difficult time actually leaving the ship; the best he could do would be becoming invisible long enough to stow away somewhere undisturbed. The prospect of sailing to Waterdeep in a cask or a crate was just a bit too unappealing for him to consider.

He was interrupted in his thoughts by two familiar, bickering voices.

The argument, if such a one-sided affair could even be called such - consisted of Ryx loudly blaming Disres for allowing her to drink so much the night prior and Disres apologizing quietly (to little effect). There was a clear look of exasperation in his expression, hinting at the fact that the golden sorceress had been complaining since they'd left the Pale Maiden on the other side of town. He didn't even bother with his usual antics of apologizing on the other's behalf; he just muttered apology after apology and waited for his misery to end.

"Well, if two faces as handsome as yours can't help my headache, nothing can!" Ryx proclaimed with a toothy grin, leering at the drow. The normal jealousy such a comment would incite in Disres was absent; he was simply glad to have her attention directed elsewhere for a time.

"And from the sour look on your face, you must've had quite a few drinks of your own last night. Still can't keep up with me yet, though?" She added towards Szinas with a sniff. He only rolled his eyes. He felt too queasy for witty banter, especially so early in the morning.

"Any signs of the other two elves?" Disres asked more quietly once he was in earshot of the drow. Even if Ryx still hadn't caught on, the paladin was aware of the racial hostilities between surface elves and their subterranean cousins. Two drow and two darthiir stuck on a small ship for even a few hours was dicey, but days? And the worst part was that he was sure Ryx would only encourage them (if unintentionally).

"One half-darthiir, and a human companion." Szinas muttered. "Please tell me she didn't have coffee for breakfast again." He added, noting that the other kobold was unusually chipper and energetic. Or perhaps everyone seemed that way, compared to his black mood.

"No," Disres sighed; that would almost be preferable. He switched to goblin and dropped his voice, so that his companion would not understand."maekrix Ryxaklaxyl has a hangover, and did not sleep much at all last night. She will be out cold by mid-afternoon."

Dangerous Lunatic

9,325 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
Nym tried to take Szinas attempt at humor as a good sign, though he could tell the other drow did not appear to be happy about the prospect of their ocean voyage. While Szinas constantly tried to find his feet as the ship moved gently beneath them, Nym had no problem making the subtle adjustments without even thinking about it. He’d spent the night aboard and was already used to the gentle sway of the boat. The water would have to get fairly rough before he even noticed the movement of the boat. While Szinas seemed to be dreading the journey, Nym found himself looking forward to it, even if he had to worry about the two darthiir that were also seeking passage.

The first of these seemed harmless enough, despite his tendency to stare, but there was no hostility that Nym could sense and the fact that he was keeping close company with what looked to be a priestess of Tymora. The pairs conversation with the captain seemed to finish and they started to head below deck. Just as they were about to duck into the ship, the woman looked up at the two drow and smiled. Then they both vanished below deck leaving Nym to wonder what had provoked that reaction in the woman. It had been a very friendly smile, though he wasn’t sure if that made him feel better or worse about the pair.

His thoughts on this subject were interrupted by the loud arrival of Ryx and Disres. Ryx’s behaviour and Disres’ submissive response were a grating reminder that Nym would also have to be in Ryx’s company for the duration of the voyage and that was not a particularly appealing prospect at all. Nym hoped he’d at least be able to use the excuse of his work with the crew to get away from her most of the time. He doubted the Kobold female would be daring enough to follow him up into the rigging of the ship, though he wondered if he might have to find a way to sleep in the crow’s nest to get any peace from her when he wasn’t working.

One of the Halfling crew members came over to where they were standing. His name was Wellby, and he’d been the friendliest of the crew so far to Nym. Initially he had been the most skeptical of Nym helping the crew, but the fact that Nym seemed to know his way around a ship and was willing to carry the heaviest crates without complaint had warmed the Halfling considerably and by the end of the night had been treating Nym like an old acquaintance. He hesitated for a moment, at the presence of the other drow and kobolds, but as soon as he caught Nym’s eye he spoke.

“We’ll be setting off in about an hour. We’ll be needing your help then for casting off and getting the sails set but after that Fosco wanted me to ask if you’d mind taking the midnight watch. The lads all figure you’ve got sharper eyes at night than the rest of us.” Wellby almost sounded apologetic. Most sailors didn’t much care for the later watches. Fosco was the first mate and the one in charge of who did what.

“that would suit me just fine. I’d much prefer to be on watch at night. “ Nym said. He didn’t really want to have to stare over the ocean on a bright sunny day.

Wellby seemed very pleased at that. “well I’ll let Fosco know, but if it was up to me, you could have all em night shifts. “ He then lowered his voice and looked at the others. “I don’t know if your friends want to be helping or not, but if so, they should talk to Fosco after we cast off. No offense to your friends, but we’d rather have experienced hands for that, we know you can handle it well enough, but haven’t seen your friends in action and once we are at sea would be a better time to see how green your friend be at sailing than when we is leaving port.” The Halfling scurried off.

Nym turned to explain the halfling’s instructions to the others but the words died before he could speak them aloud. In turning he saw the second darthiir. He felt a cold pit in his stomach and without realizing it his hand went up to touch the new scar on his cheek. It wasn’t the darthiir who had cut him, but he was still one of the ones who had jumped Nym. The darthiir looked up and for a second there was a look of recongiction in his eyes, his face expressionless. He turned away, appearing to ignore the drow and kobolds. Nym felt his legs grow weak and he gripped the railing. “It’s him.” He finally managed to say. “one of the darthirr who attacked me.”
The other drow missed the woman's smile, which was probably for the best. He would've only scowled in reply (and would've immediately cursed himself for doing such after).

The kobolds were, again, in heavy robes with hoods to hide their unusual features. Ryx's face-tendrils and the hunchback from where her wings were folded drew a few strange looks from the halflings on-deck, as did Disres's smoked goggles and pale, almost white hide. They'd loaded their things the day prior along with Nym and so could travel light, though Disres still had a (poorly concealed) set of claw-sheaths at his side, and the drow could see the slightest gleam of metal armor from where his cloak was split in the front. It seemed that at least one of them was taking the threat of darthiir and drow on the same ship rather seriously.

Szinas has turned to look over the side of the ship after muttering to Disres, and only glumly looked up at as the halfling made himself known.

"I do not think I will be of much use in that." He replied humorlessly. The discomfort from the ship's constant movement had turned into a distinct feeling of nausea. "Call me if we're attacked, else I think it would be best if I stayed exactly right here." He returned his gaze to the water.

Ryx looked surprisingly steady on her feet, pivoting on one foot to look at the halfling. Her snout burst into a grin when she realized she was looking at the little man eye-to-eye.

"Halflings! You didn't tell me the ship was run by halflings!" She turned to Disres and thwapped him on the head, but hardly seemed upset about the matter. "And here I was, worried I'd have to scamper around and try to avoid getting stepped on; humans are so rude about that. But you," she turned back to Wellby, "you understand what its like to be the correct size. Though I will say I prefer my men tall, dark, and handsome..." she slyly glanced back towards the drow.

Disres politely coughed, and rubbed the spot on his head where Ryx had hit him. That he'd explained to the sorceress, thrice, that the ship was run by halflings, and the fact that they'd seen four while boarding, was something he saw no need to remind her of. Not if he wanted to make it out of docks with a minima of bruises on his skull.

"I believe I can also be of some assistance, with the night watches." He announced, stepping forwards. "My night-vision is not quite as good as my companion's, but still what you'd probably consider impressive." He pushed his sundark goggles up to his brow-ridges, letting the halfling see his bright silver eyes with pupils slitted nearly shut against the light. The conversation had seemed meant for only Nym and Wellby, but Disres was desperate for any excuse to bundle Ryx off downstairs and out of his horns.

He politely backed away when the halfling dropped his voice and made it clear that he actually did not wish to be overheard. He turned towards the gangplank as he waited, and watched as Talen began to board. "That must be our minstrel," he remarked to himself, immediately recognizing the trappings and strut of a fellow bard. "He doesn't look too--"

Disres cut himself off when the elf looked in their direction with an utter lack of expression. That was not the response any elf would give to the sight of two kobolds and two drow. Even if the captain had (likely) warned him of the "disagreeable" passengers, Disres would've expected fear, or anger, or outrage, or disgust. Not the flat look of deep and personal hatred.

"Is he, then, responsible for how we found you yesterday?" He growled, flexing his claws. Ryx, who had gone over to Szinas to (one-sidedly) chat looked up, immediately becoming aware of Disres's fury. "I will not stand for such violent--"

Szinas had abandoned his spot along the railing and now placed a hand on Disres's shoulder and leaned into whisper. "The Water Drake is likely the only ship that will take you to Waterdeep. No matter who starts it, no matter how justified you feel, any hint of trouble will get us thrown off the ship before we can offer three words of explanation." He turned towards Nym. "That said, it is not too late to take the overland route..."

All three of them failed to notice Ryx, uncharacteristically silent, slip away to head off Talen around the other side of the deck, all the righteous anger of a gold dragon in her eyes.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,325 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
Wellby had smiled at Disres's offer. "I'll be sure to mention that to Fosco. But the lads would appreciate having more than one pair of good eyes on the night watch and it's one less shift the rest of us need to worry about."
-

Nym gripped the railing. He heard the anger in Disres growl and didn't want the paladin to make a scene. “He's not the one. But he was there.”

Nym heard Szinas' suggestiion and part of him wanted take it, but even with the Darthiir on board, iit would be safer and quicker to travel by sea than it would be overland. If he had been the one who had been so eager to hurt him, it might have been a different thing, but the darthiir who had come had been with the female darthiir who had stabbed the one who was hurting him.

“No.” he said to Szinas. “the water route is still the quickest way to get to Waterdeep and it's too dangerous take the sword that way and risk it falling into the hands of some bandit. I'll jus thave to be careful to avoid the darthiir, but I'm helping out the crew, if I work at night and sleep during the day, we will barely see each other. As long as neither of us causes any trouble, it shouldn't be a problem.”

Nym tried to put on a brave face but he'd seen the look in the darthiir's eyes. He might be pretending not to care but there was hate in those eyes. Nym knew he'd have to be very careful. He might have the goodwill of the crew now, but if there was trouble, he couldn't count on them backing him up. Still it was more important that the sword got to Waterdeep quickly and even if it was dangerous for him to have the darthiir on board, it would be worth the risk to himself if they could find a way to destroy the sword.

-
Talen had booked passage on the Water Drake shortly after he got the letter from Catherine. He'd been warned by the Captain that there were drow on board but that they were a peaceful sort and that the Captain didn't want any trouble. Talen knew better to argue, though from what Catherine had told him in her own letter, the drow were anything but peaceful, but clearly they were skilled at hiding their true nature, at least from the the Captain of the ship. Talen didn't like lying but he'd told the Captain he wouldn't cause trouble.

As he was getting on the ship, he saw the drow that Conal had captured. He seemed to have recovered from the worst of his injuries, though he still had a scar on his face from Conal's blade. Talen might have felt sorry for the dark elf, as he had when he first came on the camp site scene, but now that he knew the truth, he couldn't help but think if Conal had his way, the drow might only have gotten what he deserved.

Talen saw that the drow was not alone. There was the second drow Conal had talked about, and two short hooded figures that he doubted were halflings but probably something more sinister, and flunkies of the drow no doubt. It would make things more difficult but at some point in the journey, he was sure he could find a way to get the drow alone, one at a time. Or perhaps once they had gotten far enough from shore, they planned to try and take the ship. If that was the case, at least Talen would be ready,a nd he'd have the halfling crew on his side.

Talen tried not to react to the sight of the drow but instead headed below deck to store his own baggage and see who else was on the ship.
Disres seemed to calm somewhat after Nym clarified. But his short tail continued to lash from side to side in the fashion of an agitated cat, and Szinas's suggestions only made him frown harder. If they had wanted to send the sword by land they could've all traveled with Theo's group; five kobolds was better than two (especially with a cleric among them).

He sneezed.

Szinas looked over, slightly startled, and Disres looked to Ryx to see her comment... Except that the other kobold was gone. If he'd been a mammal, the color would've drained from his face.

"Where is Ryx?" Disres asked, alarmed. How had the sorceress snuck away? He'd let his temporary flash of fury distract him, and now she was gone and probably causing all sorts of trouble. A growl bubbled up his throat, his previous thoughts forgotten.

"I... believe she went belowdecks." Szinas carefully offered. "While you two were having a staring match with the darthir." He was too absorbed in his own misery to spare any (false) hatred for the elf. "Why don't you two go help cast off, and I'll try to keep my stomach on the inside of my torso." He folded his arms on the railing and went back to staring bleakly at the water. "Anyway, I'll keep watch on your cabin during the day, if he tries to finish what it sounds like his friends started. It sounds like his... issues are with you, though I don't doubt he'd take a swipe at me when offered the opportunity I also do not believe I would be in any danger at night."

"Ryx will also be awake during the day; she has an odd fascination with... sunlight." Disres added, a hint of disgust in his voice. Kobolds, like drow, had a sensitivity and aversion to the sun like most subterranean races. "I will watch your back at night." He added, not an offer but simply a statement.

"Shall we see what help we can render in getting this journey underway as expediently as possible?" Disres moved to depart, raising one brow-ridge at Nym.

Szinas merely groaned.

---

Ryx had disappeared around the center cabin just in time to watch Talen disappear belowdecks. Despite Disres's beliefs, she could be quiet and sneaky when she wanted to (which was not very often). She was not a dragon to tolerate bullying idly, and if her companion had his hangups about due process and redemption then she would simply do what he wouldn't. There were ground rules that had to be established, and the sooner she made the elf aware that his actions were unacceptable, the better, in her mind. If the lad had any sense he'd keep to his cabin from the end of her tongue-lashing all the way to Waterdeep.

Once belowdecks the kobold pushed back her hood, exposing the golden swept-back horns and face-frills that marked her as dragonwrought. Her sand-colored hide was patterned with golden scales along her snout, at her cheeks, and surrounding her eyes up to where her horns began. Even in the dim light there would be no mistaking her for a normal kobold, and in this case that was precisely what she wanted. With a mutter and a gesture she then disappeared entirely from sight and silently shadowed the elf.

From there Ryx continued to follow Talen to his quarters, slipping in behind him and waiting patiently until he'd begun to put away his things.

"Hello!" She greeted, suddenly becoming visible. "Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, Bahamut?" Though she smiled warmly her eyes were hard and her voice as cold as the ocean's floor. "Because, hmmm, he has a bit of a bone to pick with you."

Dangerous Lunatic

9,325 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
Nym was a bit concerned at how easily Ryx had managed to sneak away from the group, though he had been rather distracted at the time and she could have stomped off loudly singing before he’d likely have noticed. His relief at finally being aboard a ship had evaporated with the arrival of the darthir. Szinas offered to watch his cabin during the day and Disres was willing to watch his back at night. It made him feel a little better, knowing he wasn’t entirely alone.

He suspected that Rxy might help him as well, in fact she might have already gone to do what she thought was helping him now, though hopefully whatever she had in mind wouldn’t get the kobolds kicked off the ship before it even got underway. Nym felt a little uncomfortable with the idea that she was looking out for him as well, though it didn’t make any rational sense, but she seemed entirely too familiar with him and this protective instinct seemed to be a part of her familiarity which Nym didn’t care to encourage.

Nym hadn’t missed Szinas’ comment about his stomach. He reached into the pocket of his cloak and took out a bottle full of a murky brown liquid. “I got this at the apothecary. It’s a potion against seasickness. I picked up a few, but one should last you for the first few hours at least.” he said offering the bottle to the other drow. “After a few days, hopefully you’ll have found your sea legs and you won’t need it but in the meantime, I found it handy when I first started traveling on boats.”

He then turned back to Disres. “We might as well go and find Fosco. I’m sure he’ll have lots for the both of us to do and if you know your way around a ship it will be appreciated. “ Nym would vouch for Disres if he had to. He didn’t know much about the kobold’s experience but suspected he was a hard worker and would be quick enough to pick up the things he didn’t know.

-

Talen’s quarters were no more than a two walls and a light curtain for privacy, combined with a smallish sized bunk that a tall human might find uncomfortable but just fit a smaller elven frame, and beneath it a drawer. The matress was likely stuffed with straw but for now it was clean and dry, though it was debatable if it would stay so under rough sea conditions. There were small windows in the hull which let in a tiny amount of light, and lamps encased in thick glass which provided further illumination below decks.

Talen put his roll of clothes , supplies and a blanket in the drawer, hoping it would keep dry even if water seeped in the port hole, but he kept his daggers and the small back he slung over his back that carried his lute. He wouldn’t leave that alone, even on a relatively honest ship such as this one. It was his prized possession and the key to getting a discount on his passage without having to swab the decks.

As he was putting his effects away he didn’t notice the kobold until he was bending down to try and force the blanket roll into the narrow and heard her speak. He dropped the roll and spun around started at the sight of her, but also confused at her words. Her oddly friendly tone and strange start stopped him from reaching for his daggers. “Bah..Bahamut?” he struggled to remember what he knew about that name and after a few long seconds remembered he was the powerful god of Good dragons.

“I don’t understand. What have I done to offend such an honourable God of dragons?” he said, his confusion honest. “There is nothing I can think of that he might have taken offense at, but perhaps there was some accidental transgression?” If this kobold was a representative of Bahamut, he had no desire to offend her.
Szinas snatched the potion greedily, only pausing to sniff briefly at the liquid after uncorking the vessel before downing the contents in one gulp. If the drow had wanted to poison him, he figured, he'd had (and would have) better opportunities. And it would be... uncharacteristic, from what he knew thusfar of his companion. As much as poison was typical to drow, Nym was equally atypical. It was a feature he both appreciated and pitied in the other.

Almost immediately the stomach-soothing magics went to work, a cooling tingle spreading briefly through his body accompanied by a faint taste of spearmint. He seemed to immediately perk-up, and his face began to regain some of its lost color.

"You are a better... friend... than I deserve." Szinas replied in gratitude, switching to common for a word the drow language lacked. Sure, there were words that translated, but the meaning and subtleties were all wrong. He smiled.

"I'll go see if Ryx has decided to make a nuisance of herself." He offered, to which Disres nodded in reply. "I am probably like to be right useless in loading the ship, but I believe hers is the sort of challenge I excel at." His smile became a cocky grin, and he turned and walked away with more flourish than was strictly necessary (yet standard, as Nym had come to observe, for Szinas). His stride was only somewhat broken when he realized that while the potion offered him a calm stomach, it did nothing for his balance on the deck.

Disres suppressed a snicker with a gentle cough.

"I'm used to bigger vessels, but I suspect a lot of the knowledge will translate." He replied to Nym, nodding and following as the drow led the way.

---

Had Disres or Szinas been present, they would've recognized Talen's honesty for what it was. Ryx was, unfortunately, about as good at determining intentions as pigs were good at flying. The elf's response only seemed to stoke her anger.

"Hmmm, ugly and dim-witted. Tiamat's tits, you're really not doing well today, are you?" She tsk'd and stepped closer, eyes glowing like molten pools of gold. "Bahamut does not look kindly on racists and bullies." She growled; the air around her became perceptibly warmer. "So I'm going to tell you once, and once only."

"Stay. Away. From. The. Drow." As she spoke Talen could see that the inside of her mouth was like the inside of a forge, glowing and slightly hazy from the heat. Her breath was searing hot, and yet the kobold actually seemed to be holding back. "I do not appreciate what you have already done, and I will take any excuse to take, mmm, rather direct repayment for the damage you did to our companion." The barest hint of flames flickered from the sides of her jaws, and she blew a puff of smoke from her nostrils before turning to leave.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,325 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
“It is easier to adjust from a larger ship to a smaller ship than the other way around.” Nym said to Disres. Nym was still wondering about Szinas’ words but with the ship about to leave port, there was no time to be distracted by that. He found Fosco giving orders to the other crew. The Halfling first mate was burly for a Halfling, bald with skin that might have once been pale but was now browned by the sun. He looked up to see Nym and Disres. “this is my friend Disres, he says he’s sailed before and wants to help out the crew.”

Fosco gave Disres a careful look, but didn’t seem to see anything that he objected to. “Fine, go and help the lads on the portside of the ship to secure the sails. The wind’s going at a good clip and the captain aims to catch it. If we can get the sails set in good time, it will get us moving in the right direction.” He turned back to give instructions to a few other crew and then made his way to the wheel.

Finding his way to the portside, Nym quickly joined the rest of the crew. He noticed that some of them were watching him and Disres carefully but they seemed to be convinced that Nym knew what he was doing and soon enough were grateful to have an extra hand who was a bit taller than themselves. Nym also had little fear of climbing into the sails themselves to secure spots and his aptitude seemed to satisfy the Halfling crew that while he might look strange, he at least knew what he was doing. Nym threw himself into the work at hand, forgetting his worry about the darthir. He kept his mind focused on the task at hand, balancing on narrow wooden poles as he secured the sails with quick but sturdy knots. It wasn’t long before the ship was making its way swiftly through the waves and the shore was barely visible on the horizon.

-

“the drow?” Talen said, his confusing lessening a little as he realized that the kobold must have been one of the short hooded figures he had seen standing with the two drow on the deck. He had thought that Bahamut was a good dragon god and couldn’t understand why someone who claimed to speak on his behalf was also allies with a devious pair of drow. But perhaps they had deceived the strange kobold too, or she was just pretending to be a follow of a good god to avoid trouble with the Halfling crew.

“I haven’t done anything to either of the drow yet and I’ve no intention of doing anything but what they deserve. If they are truly as peace loving and harmless as they have claimed to the captain of this ship, they will get no trouble from me.” Talen said. He happened to know from Catherine’s letter that they were not, but saying it that way meant it wasn’t a lie. If he attacked the drow, it would be in the name of justice for the terrible things they had done. And he doubted they would be content to leave him or the other half elf on the ship alone if they were as devious as the letter had said. They would cause trouble before long and he would be there to stop them.

The kobold made him rather nervous though. She was very dragon like. He would need to watch his back and be very careful if he was going to set things right. He headed up to the deck of the ship in search of other passengers. The sooner he could start making friends, the easier it would be if a quarrel broke out, particularly if the drow who outnumbered him were allies with a kobold.
If the wary stares of the halflings bothered Disres, he showed no concern, and once Fosco had given him a task list the kobold quickly settled into the routine with practiced grace. Though neither as nimble nor as tall as Nym he still found his own niche quickly enough. And the sea shanty he began to sing once he'd found his rhythm seemed to inspire, rather than distract, the crew around him.

---

Ryx watched the confusion clear from Talen's face. For a moment she'd been concerned that she'd misread the situation and come down to harass some poor half-elf fellow who'd had the misfortune of stepping on the Water Drake at the wrong time. But now she was certain, and headed towards her own group's quarters with a definitively satisfied swagger to her steps.

---

Szinas leaned against the connecting corridor's wall with a small sigh of relief. Though Nym's reaction to Talen was hardly surprising, Ryx's response was not in his plans. He'd been afraid the kobold would've defaulted to fireballing first, asking questions never, but the overt threats and claim of protection would prove to be an excellent boon in his plans. The kobolds had factored into his plan so late-in-the-game that he hadn't thought of how to best use them, but now! Ryx's short temper, Talen's well-meaning vengeance, and Nym's defeatist attitude would allow him to construct the perfect distraction once they were well away from the shore.

Nym had taken the god-forsaken box with him when he'd gone to help, and he had little interest in running into Ryx below-decks, so Szinas headed back up to the main deck. Even if Nym's potion against seasickness calmed the green feelings in his stomach, not being able to see the movements he knew the ship was making made him... uncomfortable. And, he thought dejectedly, he would have to collect Eo and calm the bird into sleeping somewhere that wouldn't be too troublesome. Hopefully the dratted raven hadn't managed to convince some poor, well-meaning crew member---

Ah, he thought, suddenly remembering the other reason he'd headed down. Those well-meaning-looking travelers we'd seen before Talen made his debut. He'd only headed two steps up, and turned back around to have barely enough time to pull down his hood, lighten his skin and shrink his ears, and step out of Talen's way. The face the elf would see as he passed was nondescript and probably human, and the carefully grumbled 'excuse me' as he brushed past carried no identifiable accent.

He headed deeper into the belly of the ship, seeking out the two follows of Tymora he'd seen earlier. His dark skin and long ears reasserted themselves as he readjusted his cloak. He had little intention of engaging the travelers just yet, but a bit more skulking, listening, and watching couldn't hurt.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,325 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
The weather was good and the sails had caught a good strong wind which was going in the direction the crew wanted. When Disres started to sing a sea shanty, the crew seemed receptive and once they got a sense of the words, would even join in at the appropriate point in the chorus. Things were off to a good start and once the ship was well enough away from port no one minded that Nym left the deck in search of the darkness below deck. The ocean was very bright with the sunlight reflecting of it and while he could stand it for short periods, he’d often get a nasty headache if he stayed in the bright sunlight for longer than an hour or two.

Luckily most sailors preferred to work in daylight hours, so the fact that he was willing to happily work all night when others would rather be sleeping, made it easy for most crews to accept that he didn’t work days. He had already explained this to the Captain and Fosco the night before and they hadn’t had a problem. Nym took the box with him, making sure that if anyone tried to take it, he would notice as he was a very light sleeper and he tucked it under him in the bunk so it would be impossible to get at without moving him and therefore waking him.

-

Talen had gone above deck once he had stowed his baggage and wandered around, making sure to stay out of the way of the crew as they set off and hit the open water. He saw one of the drow climbing up in the rigging of the ship, working as if he was one of the crew. The other kobold was doing the same. He didn’t see any sign of the second drow, the one he didn’t know, but assumed he would be lurking around somewhere. Talen did notice once the initial flurry of activity by the crew settled into the normal rhythm of sailing that the first drow went below deck. Talen had a suspicion that he was going to rest below decks, so he waited for a little bit and then went down again. The crew was mostly occupied and most of the passengers were above deck, enjoying their last views of the shore and the bright sunshine. Now seemed the perfect time to strike at the drow, when no one, particularly their kobold allies would know.

Talen left the deck and went below, drawing one of his small daggers. He looked around in the dim light, checking the passenger cabins but not finding the drow. He finally located him in the section of the crew which was reserved for the crew’s bunks and just as he had hoped, the drow appeared to be deep in reverie, unaware of his surroundings. Talen quietly moved closer when he heard a voice behind him.

“What are you doing?” a female voice asked. He turned back to see a young human female. She was dressed in simple robes with a symbol of Tymora hanging conspicuously around her neck.

Talen wasn’t sure what to say, though he quickly put the knife away. “Uh.. nothing. “

“It dinna look like that to me. But no matter. I’d just suggest that you go above decks and leave the poor elf alone unless you want me to tell the Captain you’re causing trouble with his crew.”

“but he’s no elf.” Talen objected.

“funny, he looks a lot like one to me, save the colour of his skin. And I think someone like me is a better judge of character at a glance than you. You look like a good man to me, so leave this one alone. If you have an issue, at least have the decency to bring it up to the man’s face rather than sneaking around in the dark.” The woman said.
Szinas, regretfully, hadn't had a chance to book himself another room under a separate identity. The Catherine-and-Talen debacle had taken up the majority of his time since Nym had secured them passage on the Water Drake, and the logistics of that sort of deception in such close quarters made his head hurt. And it was not as if Talen would be fully aware of the ship's passenger manifest, at any rate - as long as he kept out of the way of the haflings (who likely would know an unfamiliar face and accuse him of being a stowaway) he'd be able to keep an eye on the elf without the other being any the wiser. And then there was his little problem with seasickness...

After a few minutes of patient listening resulted in nothing Szinas gave up. It wouldn't do to be seen by any of his companions skulking. The word felt weird and slithery in his head, and he remembered telling Nym "I do not skulk" with great distaste. Then what am I doing now? And why? He shook his head, disregarding the momentary confusion, and returned above decks to wait things out.

---

Disres retired not long after Nym; with his own goggles the sunlight bothered him less than it seemed to bother the drow, but Ryx had kept him up most of the night and he'd awoken earlier than her in the morning to see that their travel plans were kept on-schedule. It was becoming hard not to yawn anyway, and now that they were underway the halflings seemed to no longer need another set of hands. Bidding them farewell, Disres pushed back his goggles and rubbed his eyes, inhaling the sharp sea air with a satisfied smile.

"Imma' grab a bit of rest; I'll be back at moonrise with my dark-skinned companion." He offered in farewell with a wave. He could feel the exhaustion creeping up on him, and vaguely wondered what sort of trouble Ryx had gotten herself into while he'd been distracted. Hopefully not too much. I'd like to be able to get at least a few hours undisturbed rest... He debated stopping by Nym's room to ensure that everything was alright, but then decided against it. He did not want to imply to his companion that he thought he couldn't take care of himself.

---

Some time later Szinas noticed that Nym and Disres were gone. Belowdecks, to sleep, I guess. He'd returned to his spot on the railing and refused to budge in the intervening hours, disinterestedly watching the halflings go about their work in the rigging. Nominally he was supposed to be on-call for defense of the vessel, or the like (or whatever contract-of-passage Nym had arranged), but this close to shore the biggest dangers were "being bored" and "being seasick", as far as he could tell. Though the potion Nym had given him was soothing his stomach, something about the motion of the boat still didn't sit right with him. It was entirely psychological, and he knew that, and--

"I'm supposed to be watching the cabin." He muttered to himself, suddenly remembering why it was important that Nym was absent. His plans would allow for no trouble this early in the journey; he dashed downstairs and hoped that he wasn't too late, ignoring the raised eyebrows and strange glances from the other crew and passengers who'd seen the "mysterious cloaked figure" take off with no indication as to why.

Ryx is asleep, you can't leave him alone! His thoughts raced in a panic, but when he arrived he found... nothing. The partitioned-off area that passed for a "cabin" was undisturbed, and when Szinas very quietly peaked behind the curtain he saw Nym asleep on his bunk. Returning to the hall just beyond, he leaned against the wall and sighed in relief. Now, why were you so worried? He heard his own thoughts try to comfort him, in a deep hiss. Let's do some reading; we have so much to learn and so little time. Szinas nodded to himself, quietly passing the curtain again and reaching into the stowage area under his own bunk.

He pulled out one of the fat dwarven tomes he'd acquired the day prior and pulled the heavy stool from their room just into the hall and sat. The motion of the ship still etched at the back of his thoughts, especially when he couldn't see them moving, but it would be too risky to leave Nym unguarded. From a pouch at his waist he retrieved a bronze clip attached to a thick bit of wire and a glass bauble at the end; with some gentle rubbing the lower half of the bauble began to glow, illuminating the pages once he clipped the contraption onto the edge of the spine. He would stay there until Nym awoke, and them himself retire to their quarters.

---

Disres awoke with a start from troubled dreams a bit too muted to remember. The gentle rocking of the ship and the soothing sound of waves lapping against the hull quickly calmed his thoughts and slowed his pulse. He basked in the near-silence for a few precious minutes, before pulling himself out out of his bunk and checking on Ryx. The other kobold was still fast asleep (thankfully); he took the empty cup she'd placed on the cabin's stool and refilled it with some water from their supplies, as well as a pinch of dried ginger root and lemon peel to keep the water fresh-tasting and sooth her stomach. Satisfied, he took a few gulps from the waterskin himself before putting it away and setting to readying himself for the evening's work.

Dressed, and with a small meal of dried fruit and jerkey to tide him over, he headed towards the two drows' cabin to meet Nym for the evening and check on Szinas.

"No trouble, I trust?" Disres asked Szinas, finding the drow still seated outside their berth with his nose buried in his book.

Startled, Szinas snapped his book shut and stood suddenly, spraying a cloud of dust from the ancient pages and nearly dropping his book light. He began to sneeze nearly at the same time as Disres, fumbling with the book and trying not to douse anything in spittle and snot while also trying to regain some sense of dignity. He barely accomplished the first and failed miserably at the second, winding up on the floor with his nose streaming and eyes watering.

"Not any... before... you showed up!" Szinas just got out, glaring at the kobold as he pushed himself to his feet. "If Nym wasn't awake before he's probably up now. I haven't seen any sign of the darthir."

"My apologies." Disres replied, in a manner so courteous that it made Szinas wonder if perhaps it was the kobod's form of sarcasm. "But that is good to hear. I do not know what trouble Ryx may've started, but..." he shrugged. "Nym, I figured I'd follow your lead on tonight's work; you have had much greater discussions with Fosco than I have."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff