Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100

Oliver gave a dramatic sigh and shook his head. "Alas, no. No love life to speak of. I haven't much luck with the ladies - mind you, starting the sentence with: 'I still live with my oh-so-nosy parents, but don't let that put you off', I don't suppose I should have." He smiled. "Not that I can't find dates whenever I omit that piece of information, of course, but it makes a second date difficult. Or even worse, when I'm slightly drunk and not thinking properly it has a tendency to just pop out."

Oliver concentrated on his food. He felt a little bad lying to Latimer, but he had had those problems before... he just had a girlfriend right now. They'd been on five dates and she hadn't run away yet, but there was no way he would tell Latimer: he preferred to drop his bombshells on Violetta at his leisure.

Rochelle huffed at him. "You're too 'hungry' to pull me down!" Her stomach let out a very loud rumble and she blushed. "I'm starving too."

Putting her finger to her lips, Rochelle crept forward until she stood before the computer. Whipping the cord from the wall, she feigned shock when the whole computer shut off. "Oh cripes! The power went down and it'll take it hours to reboot!" She turned and pouted at Hamish. "Hammy, we might just have to get Josie to sort it out," she murmured, deliberately placing her foot beneath the power cord for their phones and 'tripping' into his arms. "But now the phones won't work either! I think we should go for food before we have any more disasters."
She looked up at him, holding onto his shoulders 'for balance', and fluttered her eyelashes. "Don't you agree? I do feel a little woozy..."

Grace growled at him. "The one at the children's hospital - oh nevermind! You'll explain it and if I manage to get some decent sleep I might even help!" She stomped past him, heading for the door.

Bashful Rogue

theasama
"Well I guess its better to be up front about it than to deceive them for a time. After all they'd be bound to find out eventually. That's definitely rough though." Latimer said with an understanding nod. His own doting parents were begging him to stay when he finally moved out. "You definitely wouldn't want them to find out when you're drunk." Latimer tried not to laugh.

"You're right about that." Hamish said, tapping his foot with impatience. He just wanted to go on their dinner date immediately, since he'd had his fair share of stressful conversations and follow up paperwork for the day. Now Rochelle looked secretive, playful, and he watched her with interest. Hamish smiled then feigned shock. "Oh my God! There's no way we can get anything done now! We'll just have to explain to them that the systems got bogged down." Hamish nodded. "Definitely a project for our computer fairy."

Hamish didn't expect the second action, when she landed in his grasp. He quickly regained his composure and grinned wickedly. "Just terrible! See? We're too stressed out from all of the commotion, at this rate the next thing to go will be intercom and emergency radios!" Hamish hugged her close. "We definitely need a breather, you can't even walk straight, and I can't seem to move my arms!" He joked.

"Why did you call it the second assignment then? Nobody assigned this to us at all!" Nick rolled his eyes in protest. "Yeesh you have a terrible temper!" He called and then muttered as she left. He sank back into his chair. Perhaps before he left he'd do a little more research. Even better if he could figure out a way to trace the call.

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100

Oliver nodded. "They run for the door as though I've pulled a gun, or declared that I'm that murderer they were reading about in the newspapers." He shrugged. "Though being a journalist does have it's benefits: women like to know I've got a career and that I can prove it - not to mention that they can instantly impress parents, friends and siblings with said newspaper."
He ate a chip, then imitated a girl's voice, badly, "My dad will be so pleased I finally picked someone who can support me, who isn't a loser! He'll be so proud - and he might even read your articles, wouldn't that be great?!" Oliver cleared his throat. "Of course, that's forgotten when she discovers I live at home still."

Rochelle smirked, but shook her head. "Never let Josie hear you calling her that: you might not value all of your parts, but I do!" She paused and bit her lip, looking guilty but amused. "Unless you can pin it on someone else..." she murmured.

Rochelle held on and nodded seriously. "We definitely need to call it a day. I think if we - hold each other up - for a minute or two, then we'll be able to hobble to the door. What do you think?" Chelle blushed at Hamish, but she wanted to stay where she was for a moment. Despite that, however, her stomach protested that they weren't moving fast enough, making her blush deepen; it sounded like she'd swallowed a lion and now it wanted feeding.

Grace got halfway to her car and then called Latimer's mobile, needing some stress relief. They could go for drinks, which would relax her and get her closer to her unintentional informant. She waited as the phone rang.

Bashful Rogue

((Ah I love our no frills rp. Its bothersome to have to change colors on quotes.
Do you want Latimer to go off somewhere with Grace while Oliver stays?))

"Oh I imagine so. No, I don't imagine, I know from experience." Latimer answer with a nod. "But at least you have that part going for you. All you have to do is point to the paper, and you have your proof of occupation written all over it." He agreed. "Just don't make a big spelling blunder and make sure you have a good editor." At Oliver's impression of some woman Latimer assumed to be a previous date, he had to laugh. "So they are quick to recant their statements when they learn that you live with your parents. Ouch."
Latimer was startled when his phone rang, and he actually jumped a little. He hardly ever got phone calls, and usually, it was his parents. He'd been inwardly cringing as he picked up the phone in anticipation of the worst, but to his surprise, the caller identification stated 'Grace'. "Uh, sorry give me a minute I'm going to take this." Latimer said, getting up from the table and walking off. Once he was safely out of earshot, (because he felt self conscious with Oliver right next to him) Latimer answered his phone just in time. "Hello?"

Hamish grinned. "It must never reach her ears. Unfortunately she'd probably find out who said it fairly quick. This is Josie we're talking about after all. I swear she has hidden cameras and recording devices everywhere! But I suppose if we framed someone she wanted to have an excuse to yell at...." He trailed off, pondering with a smirk.

"I think we'll be able to make it." Hamish said, offering her a hand. "My, did you even eat lunch? We need to get you some food before you start eating the case files." He teased, leading her out the door.

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100
((It is, and as to Lat Lat ~ I thought it might be easier, yes, BUT on the other hand Oliver would advise Lat to 'play hard to get'. Sooo, 'tis up to you! wink ))

Oliver nodded and then watched in curiousity as his companion headed off to answer his phone. Being curious, he closed his eyes and tried to block out the sounds of the people around him. He heard Latimer say 'hello', and smirked to himself: his regular hearing check-ups were paying off.

Grace smiled flirtatiously, knowing Latimer would be able to hear it in her voice. "Hello yourself. Are you busy? I just finished work and I need to have a bite to eat - I don't like eating alone if it's possible to have company..." she allowed it to sink in, then finished with, "Soooo: are you free to have dinner with me this fine evening?"

"Let's make a pact not to make an enemy of Josie. Ever. If we do we'd need Food Testers, scans of the office - to find those hidden microphones and cameras - and not to mention bodyguards, at least two each." Rochelle shuddered at the thought. Then she grinned. "I'm sure we could find someone to pin it on, and that she'd be happy to yell at them - we are detectives after all!"

She nodded. "I think I had lu-", her stomach called her a liar by roaring for a second time. Louder. "Apparently I was thinking of yesterday."

Bashful Rogue

theasama

Latimer found himself trying to breathe more quietly, fearing he was making loud puffing sounds with each exhale. "W-who is...? Oh, Grace!" Latimer cringed, he'd seen the caller ID, but he didn't want it to sound like he'd eagerly been awaiting a call ever since he'd gotten her number. On the flipside if he already didn't recognize her that had sounded pretty rude. "No. Er, I mean yes, but I've already eaten. B-but I mean I'd be happy to go out again anyway, I can just get a drink or dessert or something!" He hastily added. Then he remembered he was with Oliver, who was watching him from the table. "Actually, well, uh, can I call you back in a few minutes?" He questioned, planning to go to Oliver for advice.

"I agree. Pinkie swear even. Good God we'd need double of everything!" Hamish proclaimed, throwing up his hands. "As far as candidates go, I'm sure she's ready to rip Sanders and Keaton a new one already. How about Monroe, she's always pissed at him."

Hamish grinned. "Thy stomach doth protest milady. Come on, lets go." Hamish said, grabbing his suit jacket and throwing it on. He pulled his keys out of his pocket and tossed them in the air, catching them deftly, a talent he enjoyed showing off particularly in front of Rochelle.

Nick sat at his computer for a few more minutes, then glanced at his watch. "Eh, I didn't want to stay late anyway." He said aloud to himself, packing up his things. He followed Grace outside, finding her on the phone. Nick snuck up behind her quietly as a mouse. He then sidled up next to her to peer over her shoulder. "Whatcha Doooin?" He drawled with a smirk, preparing to dodge the smack that was likely to come.

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100

Grace blinked at the empty parking lot, fighting to keep her voice even as she replied with a gracious, "Of course you may call me back. But don't wait too long - I've had a hard day and I'm really starving." Somehow she managed to sound flirtatious as opposed to threatening, then she hung up and held the phone to her ear, letting it all sink in.

Oliver watched as Latimer made his way back to the table. From what he'd been able to catch, the man had almost given in immediately, but the fact that Latimer had managed to hang up... he had some hope for the guy after all. Oliver beamed at him. "I know it was hard to hang up, but leaving her hanging for a few minutes is an excellent move!" He held up his hand for a high-five.

Rochelle smirked. "Oooh, Monroe is a prime suspect! Excellent! It might be fun to set him up just on principle..." She paused and flushed brightly. "Not that we should be saying that, or advocating bullying..."

Chelle watched Hamish showing off and beamed at him, blowing him a kiss as she went to the door. "Has anyone told you you're adorable?" She murmured, leaving through the door and walking ahead of him to the car. She'd come back for hers later: it would just mean Hamish would have to spend longer with her, what with dropping her off at the office to pick up her car...and the good night kiss.

Lucky for Nick, Grace was in a state of shock, which meant the slap didn't happen this time. She slowly turned to him, blinking and doing the goldfish impression. "No-one ever does that. I can't believe he said that! I mean, sure, if he's already eaten - but he was about to agree to a drink with me without my even having to suggest it or coax him into it! My flirting works, dammit!" Grace ranted, throwing her arms up into the air before placing them on her hips. "How can he be hooked one second and be able to think in the next?!"

She gave Nick a considering look, going still for a moment. Grace tossed her head, throwing her hair over her shoulder and smiling flirtatiously. "Nick, would you have dinner with me? Or even just a drink - I hate eating alone and it's far too late to cook..." She fluttered her eyelashes. Of course, this was in the spirit of making a point, but that didn't mean she gave it anything less than her best.

Bashful Rogue

theasama
"I'll call you back shortly!" Latimer assured, closing his phone. He walked back over to the table where Oliver sat, his cheeks puffed with air as though he'd just run a marathon. Latimer laughed uneasily, afraid that Grace would make plans and call it off when he finally returned the phone call. If he did. "...Do..do you think I should call her back?" Latimer wondered, realizing it would be very rude not to call, but also pretty rude to call and refuse, something he didn't really want to relay, especially since he did want to go out with her.

Hamish chuckled at her blush. "Welll, he does deserve it, and we're not advocating it, we're merely letting what was bound to happen, happen. He said with conviction and a nod.

"Not adorable, talent, my friend. Sheer, raw, talent." Hamish told her seriously, tossing the keys up in the air once more--and failing to catch them. "That didn't count." He added, taking a few long strides that put him ahead of Rochelle to open the car door for her.

"Ahaha! Your face!! What did he say?!" Nick inquired, pointing at her fishlike impression. After her exasperated gesture, Nick laughed again. "Its as if you're trying to convince yourself. Look, I think you've lost your touch." Nick mock sighed, shaking his head. "Maybe he just realized that you're a conniving b***h who wants to wring him for information." Nick shrugged with a smirk.

"Whoa, yikes, there's a shark in the fish pond everybody run!" Nick chortled at her fancy hair flip. "Eep, no wonder nobody wants to go out with you, that was creepy!" He said, shuddering involuntarily. Well I suppose if you're desperate I'll take pity on you and come along with you since I'm such a nice guy like that." He said matter of fact, crossing his arms.

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100

Oliver stood and clapped Latimer on the back. "This calls for a proper drink - only one mind, since I know you're a cop and you're driving." Oliver called the waitress over and ordered them a scotch on the rocks each. When they arrived he made Latimer sit; once they'd clinked glasses and taken a sip, Oliver made eye contact. "Right, down to business. You, my new friend, have made a colossal mistake - you're an amateur, so it's to be expected, but I need you to answer me three questions: no lying, no quick answering and no indecisiveness. Got it? Good, 'cause here they are."

He cleared his throat. "Number one: do you like this woman - as in, do you want more than two dates or more than a one night stand assuming that's on the table? Think about it.
Number two: is she used to getting her own way - so, if you go to her acting like a lap dog, will she chew you up and spit you out? Or will she become shy and back off?
Number three: do you think she sees you as a long term partner - more than five dates, maybe a Proper Relationship?"
Oliver sat back, his preparations done: he had a good idea about the answers to his questions already, but he needed to hear them from someone who just might know better than he did.

Rochelle nodded, unable to frown as she should. "I agree, but if it becomes bullying then we'll step in."
She snorted. "If I say it's adorable, then it's adorable, regardless of whether or not it's a skill." When he opened the door for her, she kissed his cheek and murmured, "Ohh, it definitely counts honey; but since you're such a cute gentleman, I'm more than willing to overlook the brief lapse in your talent." She got into the car, grinning at him.

Grace went preternaturally still as Nick spoke, mocking her. Calling her a 'conniving b***h' was really a push too far. She waited whilst the mocking continued, hiding her glare and her hurt feelings. Back stiff, she smiled thinly at him. "Nick, even had I meant it; even if I were desperate; even if you were a nice guy as you claim: I wouldn't date you. I was simply trying to prove a point. A date with you... now that would be creepy." She walked to her car, stiff.

Bashful Rogue

theasama

"Uh but if I..go out for drinks with her later.." Latimer said aloud, but the last part couldn't be heard by Oliver who already summoned their waiter and ordered immediately. Latimer squirmed in his chair. "I did? What did I do wrong? O-ok." He said, as the sound from their glasses seemed to echo in the room as he was all ears to Olivers following questions.

"I..well I do like her but-" Latimer couldn't bring himself to finish by saying that he liked Sanders even more, and had a crush on her for much longer as cute as Grace was. "I-I don't really know if she's used to getting her own way, I mean we just met so..well maybe she is, in which case I'd be mincemeat." He trailed off yet again. At number three he winced. "Somehow I don't get that vibe from her." Latimer admitted, starting to sink into despair. Looking glum, he didn't touch his drink.

"But of course, kind benefactors that we are." Hamish grinned. "Come now, what man in his right mind is shooting for adorable? I was hoping for a more sophisticated and classy approach." He said with a mock sigh. At the kiss on the cheek he smiled, but then he quickly protested. "Its only because I've just been at the computer too much, my wrist is out of whack." He complained when he'd rounded the car and slipped into the drivers seat, attempting his somewhat convincing sounding argument. Hamish inserted the key and turned the car on after swirling it around successfully on his finger. He revved the engine and took off-speeding.

Nick made a face. "I wasn't suggesting it, jeez it was a joke, don't get so upset!" He said rolling his eyes a little. When she continued on to her car without a word, however, he trailed after her like a puppy at her heels. "I'm sorry, okay?" He questioned, for once sounding truthful as opposed to sarcastic.

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100

Oliver watched Latimer ponder the questions, noting the glum conclusion he appeared to have reached. When he had his answers, he beamed at Latimer. "Man, you have an easier job than I suspected! Right, first things first: take a swig of your drink - one big gulp, because you are going to get some advantages over this woman." He drank some more of his own drink, winking at his companion.

"For starters, you had a 'but' in that first answer. This is very important: I don't need details, but it sounds as though someone else is in your mind just now. Which is perfectly fine, since you haven't been on more than one date with this woman. You two have just met, and it doesn't seem that either of you are in the situation of being 'Instant Lovebirds'." He shuddered. "That can be creepy from an outsider's point of view."
Oliver cleared his throat. "The second answer is easy: just call her and tell her that, much as you'd love to reschedule, you cannot have a drink this evening. Work has demanded your attention and your ex is giving you trouble, so a night at the office is crucial: your ex never knew where you worked." He smirked. "That way, you're busy - a workaholic, maybe, but genuinely busy - and desirable." Oliver clapped Latimer on the shoulder. "We'll have answer three changed before you know it!"

Rochelle did frown when he said he didn't want to be adorable. "Then you, sir, are missing a trick: if a woman finds a man adorable, then she can recall that when he is being an annoying imbecile. Being adorable means he has an ability to make his partner laugh." She smiled though, when he repeated the trick, and simply smiled at him when he whined about computer time weakening his wrist. "We'll just have to get you into a sport, won't we?"

Grace turned slowly to face him. "Some things cut, Nick. You just found one of them." She opened her car door and hesitated before she got in. "See you tomorrow Nicholas."

Bashful Rogue

theasama
Latimer glanced up momentarily. "Really? Because I'm not so sure about that..." Obediently he took a timid sip of his drink, a second later when he saw that Oliver was downing his, he realized he was far behind and he lifted the glass again to chug more down.

Latimer blushed at the mention of 'someone'. Thankfully Oliver didn't press him further, so he didn't have to concoct a lie. He tried not to audibly sigh in relief. "Y-yeah I mean there is someone, but I probably don't stand much of a chance with her either. And.." Latimer hiccuped. "And she's always hanging out with this other guy." He made a face, and reached for his glass again to finish off the rest of his drink. "They're almost always together, and everybody else even thinks they're together, which isn't too surprising because they fight all the time. About everything. But then again they have the same taste in drinks, and they work well together and--arrgh now I sound like their fairy godmother." Latimer put his head in his hands, now fearing he was beginning to say a little too much. Oliver could easily pick up on the clues if he remembered seeing Sanders and Keaton together.

Quick to change the subject he returned to Oliver's comment about instant lovebirds, hoping to draw the attention away from everything he'd just said. "Yes, instantly in love just isn't right from any standpoint, sure you can be attracted to someone physically, but its not like you know much about them." He said, tapping his glass with his finger. "Y-you think she would buy that?" Latimer said, wondering if Grace would suspect his lies immediately, after all he wasn't good at it. "Seems very unlikely." Latimer said despite Oliver's confidence about question number three.

"However, you forget to note that being as charming as I am, I shall never stoop to be an imbecile." Hamish said over his shoulder as he drove. "Hah, sports, not for me. Though I do have rather impressive abs." He turned to look at her with a boyish grin. "I'd offer to let you see but the sight might cause you to swoon."

For once Nick was rather speechless. "Bye." He said weakly as she turned to leave. He stood there watching in silence tinged with regret.

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100

Oliver snorted. "Sounds like Violetta: she couldn't stop arguing if her life depended on it!" He clapped Latimer on the back. "But don't you worry; get a little confidence by chatting up the woman on the phone and then you will believe you have a shot with that special someone. Or your feelings will change, of course, but I can't control or help with that. As for this other guy - well, if they are together then you need to find that out by asking her outright. BUT, you are a looonng way off of that stage, mate, so put it aside and don't dwell on it."

Oliver smiled at him. "Latimer, trust me: you might be lying, but if she's used to getting her own way then she'll force herself to buy it. Plus you're nervous, which will come across as being afraid of losing her because of an ex and work. The masterstroke, however, is that she won't be sure about whether or not you're lying because of earlier when you hung up on her." He leant back and crossed his hands behind his head. "It'll work, and if not then you send her flowers, which we'll worry about later - wait! Better idea: if she gets angry when you say you can't meet, derail her by asking what her favourite flowers are and then, once she's answered, hang up with 'gotta go'!"

Rochelle fluttered her eyelashes at Hamish, careful not to be too provocative. "Well sweetie," she drawled, eyelashes fluttering, "I'm not the one driving, so pleeaassee: wow away!" With a chuckle, she turned back to her own window. "But I think we need a more private setting for such a spectacular sight... unless you're a secret exhibitionist?"

Grace headed for her favourite take-out, parked outside... and waited. She picked up her phone, staring at the screen. Damnit, if he really doesn't turn up-!

Bashful Rogue

Latimer, who had been taking a sip of his drink choked. "H-how uncanny! You're right she does!" He said, pretending as if he was now comparing Sanders with some other woman instead of Sanders with Sanders. "Of course rushing things isn't the answer, you're right, it'll take time, and guts, but of course having the guts of a fish doesn't help." Latimer glanced at his phone, just something to look at rather than looking Oliver in the eye which would probably give him away instantly. Oliver would immediately know that Sanders was the one he'd been talking about. Latimer clenched his teeth a little. I should have been more careful.

"Sounds like a reasonable plan." Latimer said getting nervous just thinking about it. "I hope she buys it." He sighed, imagining Grace finding out and being furious. He breathed in and out, trying to calm himself, since he was already on edge about Oliver possibly making the connection about Sanders. "Okay, I'm going to go make the call."

Latimer stepped away from the table, when out of earshot he dialed, hesitated, but finally hit the call button. He then waited, tapping his foot.

"It might be a little hard to strip and drive, besides if you fainted next to me I'd have a rag doll for a date. I daresay that'd be kind of boring." Hamish winked at her. "How is an exhibitionist in any way secret? I'd be quite a pro if I could keep the stories from the papers! Reporters would leap to write a story about the police force leader who managed to lose his clothes in public."

Chatty Lunatic

13,200 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100

"Hmm. Even people with fish guts need romance of some kind. You'll be fine." He took a handful of food and washed it down, noticing how shifty Latimer looked. Still, people were like that around him whenever he started talking about their secrets: even if he had no intention of betraying them, they still thought it would be better for them if he didn't find out. Plus, I AM his colleague's brother so he might think I'd tell Violetta, who would then rip him a new one.

He waved as Latimer exited. It occured to him that he could have called Latimer's love interest for him, but if he did that then Latimer would never learn...

Rochelle 'pfft-ed' at him. "I wouldn't be a rag doll, because I wouldn't faint. I don't faint; if I ever faint, get me to a hospital because something is seriously wrong!" She replied, only half-teasing. She shrugged. "A policeman who wants to exhibit himself would have to keep it a secret for as long as possible - if he wanted to keep his job, that is. So it's possible."
She laughed at his tale. "They would, wouldn't they? But I think I could hug you to help you hide - if you promised me flowers, of course."

Grace almost jumped when her phone rang. Tempted not to answer, she waited until three rings had finished before accepting the call. "Hello?" She attempted to sound nonchalant.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff