Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Genius

User Image User Image User Image

V A R U Sxx xx G O D R I Cxx xxL A S T E R

» It had been a month since the prince’s name day celebration at the capital. A lot of things had changed since then. When his father died, Varus was named the new lord of Candor. Not too many people were very excited about this. They all thought that he was incompetent and did not possess the brains or the brawn to rule over one of the seven kingdoms. One family in particular even took advantage of the fact that Candor had lost their lord—The Wyldes of Dragonbourne. Lord Dyaus sensed the weakness in Candor’s government and decided to strike. That was nearly three days ago. Varus and his men were now trapped inside their own castle. The Dragonbourne troops surrounded them, and had them outnumbered three to one. However, the walls of the Laster castle were strong and would not let the enemy penetrate its defenses. The battle was at a standstill, neither side willing to admit defeat.

Varus sat grimly upon his throne. The tone of the castle had been very somber lately. Nobody had the energy to talk or laugh because Dyaus had cut off all food and supplies going to the castle. Varus knew that his men were weak and they would not last a week like this. Some of the woman and children under his care had even started fainting due to starvation. Something needed to be done. The only choices now seemed to be starving to death, or let the Dragonbournes kill them. Varus sighed and buried his face in his hands. This was not a decision he was ready to make. The fates of his entire family and all of Candor rests in his hands. There has to be another way….there has to be another way…. He repeated in his head. His eyes suddenly shot open. The answer was right in front of him the entire time. He looked towards one of the many banners that hung across the room. The Laster sigil, the creature that had rescued them from certain death before and allowed them to make a name for themselves—the mighty phoenix. His father’s last words finally made sense to him. “What once was lost can be restored. The enemy hides what was once destroyed...” He repeated his father’s last words under his breath. Varus had thought that it was all just incoherent rambling at the time, but it was clear what he meant now. His father was a cleaver man, and above all, he was a careful man. He would never risk sharing important information in front of everyone at King’s Lawn. That’s why he spoke in riddle. No one but a Laster would be able to figure out what he meant by those words—that the remains of the phoenix were in the possession of the Wyldes and that if Varus was able to get them back, the creature could be reborn.

Having figured out what needed to be done, Varus spent the rest of the day in the library pulling out old maps of Dragonbourne and researching the resurrection of the phoenix. By sundown, he knew everything that the library had to offer. Now he just had to pull it off. Varus changed into an all black outfit to camouflage himself within the night. He rid himself of anything that displayed the family sigil and covered his head with a dark hood. People mustn’t be able to recognize him on this mission. Varus looked in the mirror and chuckled. “Father had always said that I was nothing more than a common thief. Perhaps tonight I can finally put my skills to use” He said to himself, thinking about how ironic it was that his skills of stealth and acrobatics that he was always ridiculed for might be the only thing that could save his family.

Just when Varus was about to leave, his brother Donnovan walked into the room. Instantly, the younger Laster had a look of concern on his face. “Brother, where are you going?” He asked as he stared at Varus, no doubt up to no good. “To Dragonbourne.” Varus answered decisively. “Have you gone mad? There are three hundred Dragonbourne men outside ready to tear down the walls at any moment!” Donny tried to persuade him. However, Varus had already made up his mind. Sure, it was a very risky and dangerous mission, but it was the only choice he had. “That’s precisely why I must go. Think about it Donny, if all of their men are here then how many will be at their castle? They will never expect me to be right under their noses in Dragonbourne. Besides….I now know what father meant right before he died. What once was lost can be restored. The enemy hides what was once destroyed. The Wyldes have the Phoenix ashes…and if we could just our hands on it we could turn the tides of this war completely!” He explained to his brother. “How can you even be sure that Pheonix ashes exist? This is a very real war we are fighting here Varus. You can’t be out chasing fairy tails!” Varus put on a reassuring smile and placed a hand on his brother’s shoulder. “I can’t be sure Donny, but it’s the last hope we’ve got. Trust me brother. I will be back by the next nightfall. I leave you in charge as Lord of Candor in my absence. Don’t let the outsiders know that I am gone.” He finished before leaping out of an open window.

Varus’s skills at stealth were indeed impressive. He got past the Dragonbourne guards with no problem. He even stole one of their horses and rode it to Dragonbourne. Once he arrived at the great city he dismounted and took to the rooftops. There was definitely minimal security there. The guards were scattered and easy to sneak past or take out if need be. Soon, he made it into the castle’s crypt. He looked around for anything that might look like it could hold the phoenix ashes. However, Varus had no idea what it looked like. After an hour he decided that it was completely hopeless. He needed someone who actually knew the castle. He snuck upstairs into the bedchambers and looked for anyone of royal blood that might know the family secrets. Dyaus was nowhere to be found. No doubt he camped outside of Candor commanding his army.

In the next room Varus found Celeste. He had not seen her since their meeting in King’s Lawn. That was that night that they announced that she was to be betrothed to the crowning prince. The news had actually hurt Varus. Especially since it was right after their talk up on the roof. It was then that Varus look a liking to Celeste emotionally and began to think that the Wyldes were not all bad. However, all belief of that was destroyed when her father invaded his homeland. Not to mention that Varus was still a bit mad at her for the fact that she agreed to marry the prince. Varus stood outside her window for a bit debating on whether to ask her or not. He would rather not hurt her out of mutual respect for the moment they shared, but there didn’t seemed to be anyone else around who would know. Varus sighed and snuck in through her window. She was still asleep and he took the opportunity to tie up her arms and legs. He made sure his face was hidden by the hood and woke her up with a dagger close at her throat. “Tell me where the phoenix ashes are and you wont get hurt” He demanded, hoping that she wouldn’t recognize his voice.

User Image
                                                                                                            » location: King's Lawn
                                                                                                            » attire: here
                                                                                                            » out of character: sorry it took so long. i got a little carried away as you can see...

Jenpai's Wife

User Image

User Image

Celeste hushed with the remainder of the crowed. She watched Varus Defend them with a certain amount of pride. Granted she didn't want him to be angry, but she did enjoy when he asserted himself.
    "Varus-" She tried to stop him before he got too angry, however her voice did very little to deter him from yelling. She hushed herself and watched him finish speaking to the entire crowd. When he came back to her he practically dragged her off the dance floor. She sighed at this. He was in no mood to dance, or talk or do anything except for brood for a few minutes. Celeste decided to accept congratulations on behalf of the both of them until he cheered up some. However, before she knew it his mother had wandered up to their table. She was kind enough to say she understood. Celeste actually appreciated that more than she would ever know. As she began to speak about Jarvan, and his brother and the relationship she had shared between the two. Celeste found herself smiling in merriment. It was nice to hear about a nicer time when she had enjoyed herself. Lately Tasha had looked so glum, but she understood that it was for a reason. She had lost the love of her life- She was allowed to be sad.

Celeste stood up then and walked around the table. She took Tasha's hands and walked with her slightly. "We will protect one another, and everyone else to the best of our abilities." She swore, squeezing Tasha's hands lightly. Celeste pulled the woman closer and kissed her cheek before pulling away. "Thank you for understanding, I will do my best to make your son and family proud and happy." She told her, but felt the need to say something else. "Back in Kings lawn, before...well, before Jarvan passed I believe I might have caused him some distress by asking to get to know Varus. I am very sorry for that, I hope you can forgive me and I hope we can be a family." Celeste dearly wanted to have Tasha's approval. She had a feeling she may or may not receive her mother's depending on her mood, and her brother well, he would come around eventually. Her eyes were kind still as she allowed Tasha free of her grip and returned to Varus' side.

"Are you finished brooding?" She teased, as she sat down beside him again, and grasped his hand in hers. However her face turned slightly serious, "We will have to tell my brother tomorrow. We will need his support for what is coming. Celeste looked slightly uncomfortable then. She cleared her throat somewhat and shifted in her chair, "I don't think he likes you very much at the moment. The other night when I-well, when we." She winced slightly and gave him an expression of defeat, "He saw us on the balcony. And as my twin, I believe he feels half horrified and half disgusted." She shrugged and turned her head towards the dancing crowd. "I will send a raven to him later, we will meet him and ask for his blessing. I would, however, have your men follow just in case. Perhaps if both parties met between the camp and the Castle."

Celeste glanced to Varus and urged him to stand up some. She motioned for the music to stop as she looked out on the crowd. "I wanted to thank you all for coming and sharing our happiness and good news tonight. Lord Laster and I, however, would like to retire for the night. By no means do we wish for anyone to discontinue their merriment. Please enjoy yourselves fully." She bid the people goodnight. The music started once again as Celeste lead the way to their room. Today have proven to be too eventful for her and emotionally, it was tiring as well. She turned away from Varus and asked him to help her undress for bed. With the gown folded over a chair and some night clothes on her body she crawled into the bed for the night, but not before sending a raven to Drakys. Before she drifted off she looked to her future husband happily and tangled her fingers in his.
    "I cannot wait to call you my husband, and my king." She whispered in the dark, "I know you will make your father proud."

The following morning the sun drifted through the windows, shining a blinding light throughout the room. Unlike the previous two mornings they were able to sleep some without being rudely awoken and the rest was wonderful. When Celeste woke she brushed hair from Varus' face, "Varus...wake up." She said as she got herself out of bed. By the look of it the sun was not too high in the sky. It was still before noon, but as she looked out of the window she saw her brother's camp stirring and men readying to ride out to meet them. She dressed herself and ate a small breakfast while she waited for Varus to do the same. When both were dressed and ready they mounted horses with a few good men riding behind them and went out to meet the Dragonbourne.

Drakys was already waiting as they rode nearer. He had already dismounted his horse and stood beside it proudly. Unlike the usual he did not wear thick clothing or fine fabrics, but simple clothing that he did not mind getting dirty with sand or the like. Celeste brought her horse to a halt and dismounted. She took a few steps forward and greeted Drakys with a hug. As Varus approached she took the chance to stand slightly between them as the expression on her brother's face was less than happy.

"Drakys, This is Varus, Lord of Candor." She introduced softly. She glanced behind herself at Varus then back to her brother who said nothing. "I've asked you to meet us here today because we would like your blessing. We are to wed, and i ask that the army retreat from my soon to be home." Drakys did not speak yet, he just stared at Varus. Suddenly out of nowhere the blonde charged. Celeste quickly got out of the way, however, she had not been the target.

"You son-of-a-b***h!" Drakys yelled, completely unlike his character as he unsheathed his sword and swung at Varus.

"Oh s**t." Was all Celeste could say in that exact moment.

"You slept with my sister!"

What Im wearing

User Image

Hygienic Genius

» Celeste was quick to figure who was underneath the mask. Varus sighed and removed his hood. It was for this very reason that he didn’t want to engage her. It made things a lot more complicated now that his cover was blown. Even if Varus was able to get away, Celeste would send a raven to her father informing him that the castle was without a lord. If the news were made available to Dyaus then there was no doubt he would attack the walls with all his force. Varus had really begun to regret ever waking the girl up. It was obvious that she was not going to cooperate. Even with her hands and feet binded together and a blade to her throat, she continued to talk down to him as if he posed no more threat than a mere fly. It angered him that she wasn’t taking him seriously. He was a Lord now and had complete control over her life. He wasn’t here to play any games. He was here because this was his family’s last chance at survival because of the position that Celeste’s father had forced them into.

“Well if you are not going to cooperate then fine. But I came here for an ace and im not leaving without one.” He said harshly and tied a piece of cloth over her mouth before she had a chance to say anything. Varus was a desperate man. Everything that happened over the last month had changed him immensely. He was no longer the immature boy who ran around charming married woman. His father’s death made him grow up very quickly. He knew that he could not go home empty handed and what was better as a guarantee of safety than the enemy’s prized daughter as hostage? Varus ignored her threat and picked her up in his arms. Now that her mouth was covered she could not do anything to alert the guards. He swung her over his shoulder so he would have a free hand to grab onto things as he ran across the rooftops and out of the Dragonbourne castle.

Hours later the two were on their way back to Candor. Varus had Celeste sitting in front of him on the horse with an arm on each side of her so she could not escape. The sun was rising now and he was starting to feel a bit tired. He pulled on the horse to slow down a got a drink of water. He then removed the covering on Celeste’s mouth. They were far within the woods now and her screams would not do a thing. He brought the flask to her lips so that she might drink too. They had a far road ahead of them and the sun was always harsh in Candor. It was said to be the land scorched by phoenix fire. It was the southernmost kingdom and had a desert-like atmosphere. Staying hydrated was very important to survival in this part of the continent.

User Image
                                                                                                              » location: Dragonbourne
                                                                                                              » out of character: none

Jenpai's Wife

User Image

User Image

To say Celeste didn't scream bloody murder through the gag was a lie. She threw curses and wiggled and flailed the best she could and then when she realized that her life could be in stake if he dropped her from the roof she grew eerily still, but once his feet settled to hard land she thrashed once more, taking the times to elbow him harshly in the middle of his spine to no avail. The next she knew she was on a horse with Dragonbourne to their backs and Candor their destination. He was careful to make sure she couldn't escape- something that annoyed the girl immensely. She only became further annoyed when he offered her water. Bitter, and terribly vindictive she did drink a few sips of water, but the last bit of water she had in her mouth she spit back at Lord Varus' face.
      "Let me go you miscreant." She hissed, as she wriggled, managing nothing more than to throw herself off balance and fall forward off of the horse, as Varus had been holding water to her lip and not keeping her secure on the front end.

And down Celeste went with a huge thump and some very gutteral language from the noble born woman. She went to stand up, completely forgetting the issue of her bound legs before going down once more. The forest floor scratched her skin, causing a hiss from her, but she laid still as she caught her breath. Celeste slowly pushed herself up on her hands so she were in a more sitting position and glared at the Lord. If looks could kill, he would have been incinerated by her hellish gaze. If only she had her hands and legs available, then she would have a fighting chance to get away from Varus. She wasn't as delicate as people seemed to think.

Of course at this point Varus had no point but to pick her up once more, though the blonde haired temptress did not seem to want him relatively close to her as she chomped her teeth down harshly on the approaching hand.
      "Don't touch me." She warned, scooting herself back slightly. Despite her violence she was back on the horse once more. Her bottom now on the saddle and her attitude fairly piss poor she fumed. "I hope you rot in hell when my father's army barges down your doors."

This was the last thing she said before she grew quiet all together. From that point on she refused to drink or eat. Even through the blistering heat of Candor, and though dizziness claimed her and the sun scorched her pale flesh. Soon the heat had exhausted the young woman into a heavy sleep. She didn't care much where he was taking her- as long as it was cold. She stayed this way for hours and did not wake even as Varus jostled her within the confines of Candor. It seemed she was too dehydrated or defeated to care. The struggle had taken a lot out of her, and her own stubbornness had been the remaining of her undoing.

However, it is a good place to say that by the time they had arrived to Candor, her skin had turned a dry and angry pink, lips were chapped and her night gown- well the sheer thing was not more than dirty from her earlier fall. To an onlooker it probably would have appeared that Varus had decided to rough-handle her. In reality, Celeste had decided for the most part to create the situation all the more terrible for herself. As the shade of the castle walls covered her, celeste groaned at the coolness. Her eyes barely fluttered open to peer at her surroundings.

What Im wearing

User Image

Hygienic Genius

» Varus thought that Celeste had finally began to cooperate when she took a sip of his water. However, he realized that he was terribly mistaken when she spit the water right back in his face. His eyes closed as a reflex to stop the water from getting in them but within the few seconds that they were closed Celeste had managed to wiggle herself out of the saddle and onto the ground. Varus wiped the water from his face and just stared at Celeste on the ground. Where did she think she was going? He thought. For a smart girl that was really a dumb attempt. Both her hands and feet were bound. There was no way she could have gotten away unless she planned on slithering away like a snake. “Are you done?” He asked when she resituated herself into a sitting position and glared at him. He got off his horse to pick her back up but he was only met with a bite to the hand. Varus groaned and pulled his hand back. It was obvious now that escape wasn’t her intention. She was just going to make this trip as difficult as possible for him.

Eventually he was able to get Celeste back on the horse. However, she refused to drink anything from that point forward. He warned her about what would happen if she didn’t keep herself hydrated but she did not heed his warnings so he let her suit herself. Of course she fainted within a few hours from dehydration. But Varus wasn’t too worried. It was a common thing in Candor and he knew that she would be fine once he got her inside the castle. In fact it would even make his job easier since it meant that she wouldn’t be struggling or squirming around. Once he was inside the castle he brought her to the master. Word seemed to have gotten around the castle that the lord was back carrying a woman with him, and his family stormed into the room.

Athena was the first to arrive. She gasped when she saw who their new guest was. She went straight up to Varus and smacked him on the back of his head. “Are you insane?! Do you know who that is?” She asked rhetorically. Of course Varus knew who she was. “She’s betrothed to the prince for heaven’s sake! You’ve just kidnapped a member of the royal family! They are going to have all our heads on stakes for this!” His mother and brother soon followed into the room. His mother had much of the same reaction. “This is madness Varus. You will take her back at once and apologize for your actions.” Tasha tried to command him. However Varus was no longer a boy and she had power over him no more. He shook his head and walked away from the bed and towards his family. “Have you all forgotten about the army outside our doorstep? The very one who is refusing us food and supplies? How long do you think we can last in this situation? The kitchens are running out of food. This castle will be our tomb if we don’t do anything soon.” He explained, setting the tone for why he had to do what he did. “Celeste is Dyaus’s prized daughter. No harm shall come to us as long as we have her in our custody I bet. We can worry about the King later. For now lets guarantee that we have a meal tonight” He finished before turning to the master. “How long before she's able to walk again? I’ve got a message to deliver to the dragonbournes.”

User Image
                                                                                                                » location: Candor

Jenpai's Wife

User Image

User Image

As Celeste rested the Maester looked her over carefully, trying to figure the best course of action. Silly girl, why would she do such a thing as refuse water in such a hot climate? He wondered. Celeste seemed as if she was going to live, perhaps not comfortably, but live none the less. He turned to Varus from his pots and concoctions of medicated ointments and such. When would the girl be able to walk? He shrugged slightly in response.
        "I am sure she could walk just fine when she awakens, but I doubt she will be doing so with much comfort. If I dare say, I would not suggest rushing the process. We will be in much more trouble if we have a dead girl on our hands, My lord." With that being said he slowly extended his arm. "If you would please wait outside, I have to treat the sun burns and try to force some liquid into her. I do not want the young lady's modesty to be forgone." He shooed them outwards and returned to his patient.

The Maester was a kind, old man who had spent many a year treating the men and women of house Laster Loyally. He took his charges quite seriously. He spent a few moments spreading an ointment for the burns across the girl's face and shoulders, and some of her arms and chest. She didn't seem very badly affected. He turned about to fetch some water, and when he turned about again nearly dropped the glass. The girl had her eyes open, just barely but it was there and the burns were all but a former memory. Shakily, he approached and looked over her face. Celeste tiredly met his eyes. He jumped just slightly and frazzled, sprung from the room.
        "My lord!" he announced, thrusting the glass of water into his hands before almost running off in the direction of the library, cussing something about 'Dragon blood' and 'wyldes' along with 'crazy sorcery.'

As he left the room, Celeste sat herself up in the bed, glancing around at her surroundings. So this was Castle Laster. Well, from the things surrounding her she imagined it was the Maesters main place of work. Her feet touched the bare floor as she located the jug of water. Her lips immediately sought after the cool drink and gulped it down. It spilled down her chin slightly, but she seemed to care very little about that. Jug empty, and the heat still seeping to her Celeste made quick work of removing herself of clothing. She didn't think anyone was there. This must have been her prison after all. The tattered night gown was left on the ground as she pushed a window open to allow something resembling a breeze enter the room.

From here she could vaguely see the Dragonbourne camp where Drakys was. She guessed that Varus hadn't figured that out yet. Sidara had sent him on the conquest for their 'father' who was very much dead. The thought itself made Celeste smile slightly and it was not a smile becoming a nice girl. It was vicious in all the mirth it possessed. Good thing nobody would know what she was thinking of.

Finally she turned from the window and returned herself to the bed in a seated position. With one knee crooked and an arm surrounding it, she watched the sky through the window she had just opened. If this was what her days were to consist of she would simply just jump out of the window. She figured it would be a lot more fun than sitting here. Soon enough she heard the door open, and didn't bother to glance in the direction of it.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Celeste asked bitterly, seeing Varus from the corner of her eye as she pulled the sheet up to cover herself

What Im wearing

User Image

Hygienic Genius

» Varus was glad to hear the Maester say that Celeste would be able to walk again as soon as she awakens. The sooner he can deliver the message to the army the better. He knew that the hunger have started to become unbearable for his people. However, he also heeded the Maester’s warning. Things would indeed get a lot worse if any harm were to come to Celeste while under his care. The little stunt she pulled had left her with a few burns and bruises but there wasn’t anything that couldn’t be cured. She would be fine as long as she got plenty of water and rest.

Varus waited outside as the Maester requested some time alone with Celeste. Varus took the opportunity to go and fetch her some clean clothes since she had near ruined her own by jumping off of the horse. When he neared the room again, Varus saw the Maester cursing and scrambling out of the room. Varus ran to the room thinking that something had gone wrong. When he arrived nothing seemed to be out of order. Celeste sat on the bed nude. She was definitely a foreigner to Candor. The heat that seemed unbearable to her, Varus had barely even noticed. Having grown up in the harsh climate he had built up a natural tolerance to it. “You will get used to the heat” He said as he laid the clothing he had brought for her on the foot of her bed. “This dress is made with a lighter silk than the ones used in the north. It will keep you cool without leaving you so exposed. But if you wish to go outside you need to make sure all skin is covered or else you will burn. And be careful about leaving windows open at night. The temperature drops dramatically at dusk.” He laid out some ground rules that even children knew in this land. “And always keep yourself hydrated… I trust you’ve learned your lesson?” He said as he looked over towards the empty jug.

The south was like a completely different realm from the rest of the seven kingdoms. Candor was it’s southernmost city. Beyond it lays Dead Man’s Sand, a vast unexplored desert where conditions were so harsh that no one who’s entered it has ever returned. Instead of beheading, those sentenced to death in Candor were made to wonder out into this desert with no water—a fate that most deemed worse than death. The people in the south look down on those in the north who complain about winter because they have never experienced summers that can burn you alive, droughts that can last for months, and sandstorms that make it impossible to see or breathe. Because of the harsh climates indigenous to the land, not many people have ever tried to conquer Candor, especially with it’s strong walls. Normally, when an outside force invades Candor, the ruling party would just retreat into the castle and wait for the elements to take out the invading force without ever having to lift a finger. However, since the Dragonbourne’s have cut off Candor’s food supply, it has become a game of chicken between two very proud families. Will the Lasters cave first because of the hunger, or will the Wyldes cave first because of the heat?

Varus snapped out of his thoughts and looked back towards Celeste. “If you are truly smart then you will tell your army to return home. My father is dead but the walls are still as strong as ever. Summer is fast approaching and the heat will multiply two-fold. They don’t have a castle to protect them from the heat. The sun will be our greatest ally” He looked out the window too and saw the Dragonbourne camps—rows upon rows of tents pitched in the sand. Sure, tents can block out the sun, but they had no stone insulation of keep out the heat and if there were to be a sandstorm they would be blown away like a twig. He then adverted his eyes from the Dragonbourne tents and looked directly below at his own people. When the troops invaded Varus had opened the castle gates to let the townspeople seek refuge inside the castle. However the castle was not big enough to house everyone so they set up their own tents outside. In the garden, in the sparring grounds, the whole place was littered with tents. He knew that if he were going to win this war with heat then he would lose a lot of his own people as well.

User Image
                                                                                                                  » out of character: stuff about candor prob isnt true in the group but i just wanted to change it up so itd be more dramatic xD

Jenpai's Wife

User Image

User Image

Celeste snatched the clothing off of the foot of her bed and pulled it over herself quickly as he lectured her about this and that and whatever else he could think of.
          "And here I thought you stole me in the dead of night to be romantic. It is not my Army, I didn't order the men here, I have no command over them. The fact that you think I could tell them what to do in the middle of a war is mildly hysterical. You would have been better off kidnapping my Brother or my Father. Girls aren't that important. We just stand still and look pretty." She was being entirely too sarcastic, but there was truth to what she said, and mild hope. Then again, Varus had changed. He wasn't the same and she felt sad for that. She stood up from the bed and strode straight towards Varus until she stood perhaps entirely too close to him.
          "Take me home, Varus, and I will see if I can persuade the king to call off this attack. You know My father wont stop unless commanded. He may rest and camp out, maybe he will allow food in and out of the castle, but he wont leave."

She looked him over sadly. Varus looked tired, and stressed. He did have a lot to worry about after all. She reached upwards and tilted his face, looking over the lines that seemed to have sprung up over the month. She inspected them carefully then sighed. "You've grown older and you've changed. You are going to run yourself into an early grave at this rate. When was the last time you bedded a woman or had a drink?" She asked, but the question was rather rhetorical, "Ruling a land by yourself is murder, you need friends and family to help- a council to advise, a hand to help you deliver news, take meetings and a wife to comfort you. You haven't allowed anyone to help you, hm? It would be a wise consideration." Celeste told him, for once not sounding sarcastic or cruel. She was surprisingly genuine even as she dropped her grip on him and turned away to the window.

"You should allow the people to rest within the castle walls. If what you say is true about the heat and cold, I doubt tents would make fair dwellings for them. Give the captain of the guard this and tell him to inform my father that I will not receive food unless he allowed food within the castle walls, I am sure that would feed everyone until this is ended one way or another." Celeste dropped a ring with their seal into his hand but didn't say anything else. "They shouldn't have to suffer for the feuds of ancient men."

User Image

Hygienic Genius

» Varus did not believe Celeste when she spoke of woman having no power. Sure, it was true that she was not the commander of the army but he would be a fool to believe that she did nothing but ‘stand around and look pretty’. Some woman perhaps, but not Celeste. She had a sharp mind and a strong personality. She was an asset to her family. Especially so now that she was betrothed to the prince. Losing her would mean losing their ties with the royal family. Varus didn’t think that Dyaus would risk losing his chance at the throne for a castle in the sand. Celeste was the leverage Varus needed to ensure the safety of his people. Thus he could not let her go. However, Varus couldn’t help but feel jealous when she mentioned going home to persuade the king. Since when did she consider the king as part of her home? Perhaps this marriage was not so arranged after all. Just thinking about it made Varus angry and it made him not want to receive help from the king even if Celeste could persuade him to call off Dyaus—which was very unlikely to happen in the first place. “I’m sorry but I cannot let you go. Please understand that you are our only hope. Without you here, the troops outside have no reason to even think twice before slaying every single living thing in this castle or letting us starve.” Perhaps if it was just his own life he would take a gamble with fate and trust in her to persuade the king, but this was much bigger than him. There were hundreds of men, woman, and children living on the castle grounds putting faith in Varus to provide them with food, shelter, and safety. He could not risk that many lives on a ‘I will see if I can persuade the king’.

It was true that Varus had changed a lot since she had last seen him. The pressures of ruling a kingdom at war had left him stressed and tired. Of course he had no time to worry about such things as bedding woman and drinking. He stared straight into her eyes when she reached up and examined his face. He wondered if perhaps he really was going to run himself into an early grave. His father had done so before him. And he already felt ten years older from only ruling the city for a month. The lord did not have a council or anybody to help him rule. He had taken all of the responsibilities himself. To be honest he really didn’t know about all of that stuff. Varus had never learned how to manage Candor from his father because he was too busy messing around. He was shocked that she knew, but then again she was to become queen after all. “Very well, find me a council. You may pick anyone within the castle grounds. I trust that you know more about these things than I.” He proposed. A council was an interesting idea. And the act of finding it would keep Celeste busy instead of leaving her alone in the room to possibly harm herself or worse. It would give her an opportunity to get to know the people of Candor maybe see that it is a place worth saving.

To Varus’s surprise Celeste dropped something in his hand. He held the strange object up to see that it was a ring with the Wylde’s seal of the dragon. Sending a letter out with this seal would definitely catch Dyaus’s attention. Varus stared up at Celeste in bewilderment as a moment of humility came from the woman. After she had finished all Varus could do was nod and follow the orders from the prisoner. It was a bizarre thing but the plan seemed legitimate. “It will be done. You should get some rest my lady. This is the Maester’s exam room but all the other rooms are being occupied by families right now. Please, make yourself at home” He finished before turning to leave. The exam room was no palace like she’s used to but still it had a bed and a window. All the ample sized guest rooms were being taken up by families of four or five and he was not going to kick them out for a single person. Still, the exam room was much better than the dungeons were the regular prisoners were kept.

Varus hurried to his study where he quickly got out a parchment for the letter. He prayed to the seven that the plan might work. Hopefully the seal would be enough to convince the Lord that Celeste was actually here inside the castle. The seal on the ring looked very delicate and so no doubt it would be hard to replicate. Varus began to write;

Dear Lord Dyraus,
                                                                        xxxxxxxxSurely you’ve noticed the particular seal on this letter. It is from the ring of Lady Celeste, who is within my care inside the castle. My conditions are simple. No harm shall come of her as long as you cooperate. Allow food and supplies into the castle. She will get no food unless every one of my people are fed. Pull back your troops and I will release her. My advice would be on the later. Conditions are only going to get worse here in Candor and you do not want to be caught without shelter when the heat waves strike. I am not asking you to surrender. I am only suggesting that a draw would be in the best interest of both parties. Summer is coming.
                                                                        V.L.

Varus reread to the words to make sure that everything was in order. He did not withhold any information from the Dragonbourne. He warned them of the coming heat. It would be best for them to heed his warning but that was up to their lord. If they perished it would be from their own demise. Varus folded the paper up and spilled a dab of hot wax over the opening. He let it cool for a second before pressing over it with the ring. Once he was sealed he brought it to the roof. He attached the letter onto a raven and let it fly. Within moments it was shot down. The Dragonbourne had been intercepting their letters, making sure that Varus could not call for help from any of his bannermen. However, the young lord smiled at the falling raven. This letter had made it to it’s destination.

User Image

Jenpai's Wife

User Image

User Image

"Varus, I dont think that is-" Celeste began to tell Varus that she shouldn't be the one in charge of putting together his council or anything of the sort, But Varus was already gone. She bit her lip slightly and sighed. Oh great, what had he gotten her into? She was in the middle of a war that she didn't believe in. Hell, her brother didn't even believe in it- he was just doing as he was told. Celeste watched intently from the window at the army outside of the gates, and the townsfolk down below. She had not wanted this feud to continue, but she was at a loss. The wants of her mother and her brother were not anything she could avoid at that moment. She couldn't tell them what to do until she herself was queen, until then she could simply put in her opinion and hope that it would be heard. Clearly, from the outcome it had not.

Meanwhile, as Celeste watched the grounds, Drakys had received the letter. He read it over once, twice, and looked at the seal closely. There was no doubt that was their crest's seal, and unlike their father, Drakys cared deeply for his twin. He looked angry, but was never the type of man to outwardly display his emotions. After a long hour of thought he succumbed and ordered the troops back some, and ordered food to the gates. Not even ten minutes after the order had been given, had wagons of food, water and wine been lugged to the front gates. There was supplies for the entire month they had cut off, and more. It would be plenty to feed the people for a good while. The Wagons continued coming for another two hours until there was barrels and boxes as far as the eye could see.

As Celeste saw this she hesitantly moved from the rooms. She received wide eyed stares and glares as she walked through the castle, towards the front gates. She crossed the court yards quickly. The guard was distributing food with the help of the kitchen stall and servants. Celeste Grabbed a sack of bread. Nobody dared tell her no, but they were even more surprised as she helped hand out the food to the men, women and children waiting in line for their share. She graciously walked alongside them, breaking off good sized pieces for each person she could find and when she ran out of food in the bags, she returned for more and continued on her way until the glaring sun had caused her to pull her hair shabbily up from her face. She could feel little dabs of sweat on the small of her back, but she ignored it.

Her presence, despite making a few feel uneasy was treated as nicely as if she were the Royals of Candor to the townspeople she helped. They of course knew who she was, everyone knew of the "princess" or future queen. Her appearance was rather distinct. Her hair was too fair and her eyes far too frighteningly striking to mistake. She was obviously a Wylde, and she obviously had such a resemblance to the Commander of the army outside. Eventually, however, enough people took notice and took discomfort to inform Varus of her doing. Though she in theory was doing nothing wrong, the guard did not like her presence. Complaints quickly followed to Varus' ears as Celeste would not discontinue by command of the guard. She had, in so little words had gone as far as to cuss one out from kingdom come for trying to move her away. They had in theory banished her from doing nothing more than serving water as they did not want her wandering freely about the castle.

Celeste seemed bothered very little by them. They would physically have to move her, as she was dead set on what she was doing. She spoke to the commoners, and in moments of downtime wondered who could possibly serve well on any council. Of course, someone from every aspect of life would be needed. The people would have to chose a representative to speak their worries and requests, someone from the army for military, someone from the household for matters of estate, and finally his mother. As for a personal "hand" so to speak she thought his brother would suite the job well.

With the thought still in her head she asked someone to take over her position. Celeste went to go write the idea on paper but was often stopped with concerns, or issues that should be brought to the attention of the family. She would always smile and tell them she would pass the message on. She was very gracious to the people, and seemed to have a hard time straying from them. Finally she allowed herself back indoors to a piece of paper and wrote the things she needed to on the parchment.

"Representative, Military, estate, Lady Laster (Sister or mother) and Lord Laster." She jotted a request to remove prisoners from the dungeon, provide proper light and bedding, and to move another family into the Maesters room. Once finished she sought out Varus who was getting a complaint load from the head of the guard like none other. Clearing her throat she stood at the door with a raised eyebrow."You have an issue with me helping the townspeople?" She asked the man directly, then turned her gaze to Varus, "The people hardly seem to mind, so why is it an issue for the two of you?" She almost looked offended. She hadn't had to help them at all. She could have simply thrown herself out the window or refused even the Wylde seal for help. Rather, she didn't have to put together a rough list and plans to help as many as possible either.

She held the parchment out to Varus with a stony expression, "Don't take my kindness for granted, it could change." She warned, demanding with her eyes that the guard leave immediately. "Forgive, perhaps I have missed something, but was it not I who gave you that seal to feed the people? Why should I be commanded by your men to stay away from the townspeople? For that matter,why would I take the order of a man beneath me? I may be a prisoner but I am not a child. If you would have me sit in a room all day, then do not tell me to do otherwise." Celeste seemed to be fuming. Why had she even tried to help in the first place?

Oh yes, because Varus had looked so lost without it and it made her heart hurt just a bit. She couldn't lie and say that she had not been attracted to Varus back at the capital, but circumstance proved very different now, and Celeste found it very sad indeed. However, it was anger that proved to be spewing from her mouth, not sadness. She felt like she could smack him, actually she very much wanted to do so. And as a creature of impulse, she did hit him quite hard.

"That is not My father out there, my father is dead because justice was served on your behalf, because of you and Jarvan." She spat out, "You think you have it hard battling an army who doesn't even fight for what they believe in? That army is there because of my mother, because that is what Dyaus would have done had he been alive, and because the king is not all that convinced that you have the ability to rule this place by yourself. Prove him wrong, and prove me wrong because I dont even know if you have the courage to do what I have done to try to end this feud. Maybe I failed but I tried." Celeste advanced on Varus, giving him a thrashing of her words. She had an accusing finger pointed at him, her chest heaved as she exposed secrets that were not to be known and she did this from anger, not from guilt or pity. She felt her efforts were unappreciated, and she let the feeling be known.

User Image

Hygienic Genius

» After the raven was shot down Varus stayed on the roof and watched for any signs of change within the enemy camp. In about an hour things finally started to look up. The troops backed up a bit although they did not leave completely and soon wagon-fulls of food started to flow into the castle. Varus couldn’t believe his eyes. The plan had actually worked. He hurried down the castle and to the courtyard where people had already began to distribute the food. He checked the food to make sure that it had not been tampered with in any way. It would be a disaster if there were poison within the food that was being fed to his people. He didn’t like to think that Celeste’s family would risk her safety by doing so but they were in a war after all and as the saying goes, all is fair in love and war. Once he made sure that it was safe he ordered one of the guards to store a couple wagons away just incase they have another food shortage.

Varus then had to return to the throne room to deal with the dozens of complaints he was getting. You’d think that the people would be happy that they finally got food but people always found problems within the most benign things. “Send the next one in” He called after just dealing with a woman who wanted more food than the rationed amount. Varus was surprised to see that the next complaint came from Ser Royce, the head of the castle guards. Varus listened to the man speak about how Celeste’s presence was unsettling for some people and how she would not follow his commands of returning to her room. As if on cue Celeste stormed into the room just as Ser Royce was filing the complaint. This cant be good…He thought just by looking at the expression on Celeste’s face. The girl was quick to anger and once enraged, burned with the fire of a thousand suns. She carried herself like the queen even in a place where he had no power and had enough guts to smack a lord inside his own castle. Ser Royce, along with all the other guards drew their weapons at Celeste. However, none of them knew whether to attack or not. Normally they would just kill anyone who attacked their lord but this seemed to be occasion for a special case. Varus brought one hand up to hold his cheek and the other to wave the guards to stand down.

He was interested in what she had begun to say. “My father died of natural causes” He said confusingly when she tried to tell him that justice was served on the behalf of himself and Jarvan. His father had even told him that he did not have much time left before the feast at the capital. “What do you mean your father isn’t out there? You’ve said yourself that he was.” He said still confused as to what exactly was going on. But then his confusion turned to anger, anger towards the capital. “Why the ******** are we fighting this war then if neither side believes in the cause?! This is my home! Not some toy that the king can just play with to test my ability to rule.” He became so heated that he stepped out of his seat and began to pace around the room. He couldn’t believe that all this had been a test. Everything that his people have been put through was because of a dead man’s wishes and uncertainty in Varus’s ruling abilities. “Well I’ll show them just how able I am of ruling, not just of Candor but of the seven kingdoms! I swear it by my grave that the King will pay for the treachery that he’s committed. I will sit on the iron throne even if it’s the last thing I do!”

User Image

Jenpai's Wife

User Image

User Image

Celeste threw her hands up in the air as Varus fumed about something or another. Why could he be so utterly stupid. She knew men could be daft but he was plain just dumb occasionally, like right now. He just vowed to wipe out a family that she was to belong to, and then what? He would be king, he would banish the Wylde's? He didn't see the point in what she had said and it upset her. After everything that had happened and that she had done for his family, he still didn't see it. He was looking too closely at the situation, perhaps. Celeste was indeed hurt, but she should have known better. Varus always flitted between women, she shouldn't have thought that their shared moments meant anything more to him than passing of time. She lifted the gown up slightly and turned her back on Varus as she descended the steps and moved towards the door. However her path was blocked by Royce. He glared down at her with a hand on the hilt of his sword.

"So I guess you wont get to spread your legs for the prince, your Grace." He growled sarcastically.

She didn't outwardly say anything for a moment but smirked,"I suppose not, but I'll make sure to make an exception for your wife." The room was absolutely silent, save a few snickers as she removed the offending appendage from holding her in the room. She didn't look to Varus to help her, as she seemed to have lost a good bit of faith in him from their recent interaction. Rather she whisked herself calmly out of the room, but her pace hurried significantly down the hallway as she heard Royce raging within the rooms.

Celeste felt a burning sensation in her throat, and her eyes begin to water just slightly. She hadn't asked for this- any of it. She didn't want to be in this wasteland, not without something in return. Varus would have been something she could have possibly tolerated the solitude and heat for, but he was no longer interested, and she was better off in the Capital with her betrothed. He might have been boring but at least he could be kind, and maybe she would have been loved. She was fortunate not to run into anyone on the way returning to the maester's room. Her fingers closed the latch quickly and that was where she stayed. Celeste did not emerge for food, and no number of knocking on the door would coax her to open it- for anyone. She even had been smart enough to lock the window So Varus would not be able to enter from there.

The Lady Celeste had shut down so to speak. It was rare that these conditions would happen, but she was occasionally prone to bouts of mild depression every once in a blue moon. This seemed to constitute a good time for being sad. After all, everything was crumbling between her fingers. At least it seemed that way.

Celeste remained locked away for the remainder of the night and only unlocked the door in the morning. However, most seemed to have given up by that time, thinking that she either had killed herself or was going to starve herself to death and so she was left relatively alone to her own devices.

User Image

Hygienic Genius

» Varus heard the rush of footsteps and turned to catch a glimpse of Celeste leaving the room. Was it something that I said? He thought, clueless as to why she was so upset. He was still quite confused on the whole matter. He knew that Dyaus was dead but he didn’t know exactly how or why he died because Celeste had been pretty vague about it. It was frustrating to be cut off from the outside world. A whole lot seemed to have happened in a month. It had only occurred to him now that his family might not have been the only family who has suffered due to recent events. Varus thought back to what she had said. “I don’t even know if you have the courage to do what I have done to try to end this feud.” What did she mean by that? Varus felt like he was solving his father’s riddle all over again except he knew his father better than Celeste. It was something that he would definitely ask her about again since she didn’t seem to want to talk about it now judging by the way she walked away.

Varus was just about to retire to his room too when he heard quite a commotion coming from the direction in which Celeste had left. He was shocked to hear a vulgar remark from the head of his guard, Ser Royce. Royce was a brutish man with a love for drinking and spilling blood. Varus never took a liking to the guy, but kept him around as the head guard because he was a skilled fighter. Nevertheless, even his skills on the battlefield could not excuse the guard of way overstepping his place. “Ser Royce!” Varus summoned with a booming voice. “You will not speak to Lady Celeste like that. She is to be considered our guest, not prisoner. You will treat her with the same respect that you would with someone from a noble family.” Varus commanded the guard. However, Royce, a much older man than he, was not convinced that the young lord’s judgment was wise. “Treat her as a guest? We should be cutting her fingers off and sending them to the army outside! We are in the middle of a war and she is the enemy!” Royce spoke back. He had spent his entire life serving the Laster family and was feeling quite betrayed that Varus was taking the side of a girl he barely even knew over his own. “I will hear no more of this! Ser Royce you are to stand down and that is an order.”

The day passed and another one began. Varus was on the roof watching for any signs of change when a servant came to him and informed him that Celeste was not receiving food again. Varus sighed and took the food from the servant telling them that he would try and give it to her himself. The girl was really difficult. He had thought that she learned her lesson of refusing food and water on her way here but apparently he was mistaken. When Varus reached the Maester’s room he knocked first to see if she would answer. After a while of silence he tried the door and was surprised to see that it was unlocked. He entered the room and set the tray of food on the table. “I never got to thank you for helping me feed my people. Without you they would still be starving right now instead of being properly fed. I’ve spoken to Ser Royce. He shouldn’t be bothering you anymore. Since we are all stuck here together I see no reason to tear at each other’s throats. From now on you will be considered a guest of the castle, and free to go anywhere except the outside of the castle walls.”

User Image

Jenpai's Wife

User Image

User Image

Celeste watched as Varus entered her room. She sat up slightly And simply nodded to what he said. However, she did go towards the food and ate. She ate slowly but she did eat and when she was finished she decided to lay herself back down for the time being.
                "I'm tired." She murmured, closing her eyes. And for the rest of the day she slept. The following few days were similar. She would eat and sleep and do not much of anything else. After about a week of this, getting acclimated to the heat and becoming well rested Celeste seemed to have bounced back somewhat. She was less secluded.

Over the passing weeks she had made herself a part of the Society within the castle walls of Candor and the people seemed to adore her. She was Gentle and just but she had a bit of her father there too.There was iron under that gentle hand. Her kindness to the townsfolk had been unfailing, and her presence seemed to brighten the grueling summer days. They loved their "Little Queen" so that they were willing to forgive the presence on the other side of the castle walls. They called out to her in thralls, reached out to embrace and bless her. And Celeste cared for them too, as a Lady would her people, though she knew that was not what they were. It was not just the poor that seemed to have taken a liking to her, but those of higher breeding in Candor too. She knew how to manipulate them- and though they somehow and someway felt guilty, they still liked her.

Of course, All but Ser Royce. Ser Royce, on the other hand could think nothing more but filth for the abomination that swept across Candor like a plague. Her name was Celeste Wylde and she was killing everything of merit. He saw how easily she was sinking her claws into the people around him, and he just knew that soon she would simply rip them away and leave them to bleed dry. Of course he wasn't going to allow that to happen. He stood stalk still in the hall just waiting. She would come this way eventually. He didn't care that he wasn't alone in the hall, or that he was the only one in a million who would agree to do this.

And there she was. She held the hands of children, indulging them as they babbled on about a story she must have read to them some time or another. And grudgingly, he admitted to himself the charm she held. She did look beautiful, she always did. Her gown was of the sheerest and whitest silk. How did she manage to get such nice clothing? He was internally building a rage. Celeste However, did take notice of the lone standing guard. She stopped in her tracks as he began to walk towards her. It seemed like he was going to pass her, but still she sent the children off back to their parents quickly.

She allowed a wide birth between them, they walked and passed. Celeste breathed a sigh of relief too soon it seemed as Ser Royce turned around and twisted her back onto a blade. Blood quickly stained her gown deep red from her belly. The knife was yanked out, and she stumbled backwards against the wall, but Royce was advancing still, even as she was sinking downwards. She felt an intrusive hand grasp her throat and squeeze as the blade forced it's way back past her flesh, nearly in the same spot as before.

Screams erupted from the hall, but it was not Celeste's. The maids were in a flurry, running this way and that, trying to find anyone to end the onslaught.
                [http://www.polyvore.com/blue_white/set?id=120323289&lid=3553549]What Im wearing

User Image

Hygienic Genius

» Having Celeste within the castle got easier as time went on. Several weeks passed and the people had actually taken quite a liking to her. Unlike Ser Royce, they didn’t associate her with the dangers outside. Perhaps it was because the people could tell that she was trying to help. She had certainly been able to get them food. It made the people feel better to know that not all the Wyldes were bad. Sure, it started out rough but Varus could tell that she was now beginning to get used to Candor. He even enjoyed her company. It was nice to have someone around who wasn’t family or holding him up so highly as their lord. When Celeste wasn’t spending time helping people and when Varus wasn’t busy with the duties of ruling an entire city stuffed into a castle, they would even spend time together. There was not much to do stuck within a castle but they still managed to have fun. Sometimes, he would feel as if nothing had changed since that night on the roof in King’s Lawn. Before the invasion, before his father died, and before all the pressures of ruling a kingdom. She was the only one who could bring that out in him and he was glad that she was here with him because otherwise he probably would have gone mad by now.

Varus was just on his way over to her room to visit her when he heard a terrifying shriek coming from down the corridor. Soon, a group of handmaidens came running towards him, pleading him for help. When he heard that it was Celeste who was in trouble he sprinted down the halway as fast as he could, even knocking some people out of the way as he passed. Varus was angry that someone would try and hurt her after all she’s done for everyone in the castle. When he finally arrived it all made sense—Ser Royce. He was always bitter about having Celeste inside the castle. Varus thought that he had taken care of the problem by telling him to treat her as a guest. He knew that Royce did not like the order but he never thought that he would go so far as to attack her. “Ser Royce I command you to stop!” Varus shouted but the guard ignored him. His hand was on Celeste’s neck and his blade was deep within her stomach. The handmaidens had gone to get other guards for help but Varus had no time to wait for them.

He charged towards Royce single handedly and knocked him away from Celeste. The attack did no harm to the guard. He was almost twice Varus’s size and heavily armored. Ser Royce pulled himself up off the ground and gave both Celeste and Varus a hateful stare. “Why you little s**t! I am going to enjoy killing you” He said before charging at Varus with his sword. Varus wasn’t even armed since he was inside his own castle. He never thought that he would have to fight the very guard that was supposed to be protecting his life. But as big and strong as Royce was, he was not very fast or light on his feet. Varus used Royce’s own momentum against him as he ducked low and tripped him in his swung towards Varus. The guard fell to the ground again with a loud thud and dropped his weapon. Varus ran around the brute to take the sword away from him but was forcefully pulled down by the ankle. Royce pinned Varus down on the ground and gave him a few very good blows to the face. As Royce pummeled away at him, Varus saw the blade out of the corner of his eye. It was just inches away from his hand. He reached with all his might and grabbed the sword. He thrust it deep within the guard’s chest. Ser Royce’s eyes went wide and his body went limp. Varus pushed him aside and hurried to Celeste’s side.

She was losing quite a lot of blood. Her white gown was stained blood red. He was horrified at the sight and didn’t know what to do. He didnt want to lose her and it was not just because of the army outside. Even after only having her with him for the past few weeks he couldn’t imagine what life would be like without her. He carefully picked her up and ran her towards the Maester. He looked down at her in his arms as he ran, making sure that she was still with him. “You’re going to be okay, you’re going to be okay” He kept repeating, perhaps more for his own sanity than for anything else.

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
                  Manage Your Items
                  Other Stuff
                  Get GCash
                  Offers
                  Get Items
                  More Items
                  Where Everyone Hangs Out
                  Other Community Areas
                  Virtual Spaces
                  Fun Stuff