Devoted Duck

His goodbye kiss felt like a slap to the face and she mused it over all the way through the trip back to her estate. She sat on the seat with her head in her hands, her hair slightly mused from her delicate fingers while her mind searched for a reason, for a solution to her problems. As the carriage rolled to a stop she lifted her head, her face going to the window while her eyes fell on Fin. That man was going to be the death of her, and she had promptly decided it was a problem that he knew where she lived. Bracing herself with a composed, calm expression she pushed open the carriage door and stepped down onto the cobble of the street. Her boots clicked smartly as she walked, brushing past Fin, her shoulder ever so slightly skimming his arm. “Twice in one day, Fin? You keep this up, people are going to start gossiping.” She meant it playfully, but at the same time it was the truth. It was bad enough the gossip about her engagement to Adam but now if people started noticing Fin hanging around? It was going to be one great mess that she didn’t quite feel like cleaning up. “Well come on in then, I can’t have you standing in the street outside.” She spoke as she walked, not looking back at him while she pulled the door open, her small hands wrapping around the large metal handles to the door without waiting for the door boy to get it. The door was heavy, but she was angry which lent a little touch to her adrenaline fueled strength.

Maira passed Helen as she walked, but while the older woman eyed Fin with wide eyes full of shock, Maira spoke quietly. “Send tea and a bottle of whiskey up to my workshop. Send Alex out to do the shopping with Elizabeth.” Helen went from shocked to serious in a blink of an eye, her mouth settling into a straight line. “Yes ma’am.” She left in a hurry as Maira ascended the stairs to the second floor of the home, her hand skimming the rail as she walked. Her mind was elsewhere but she found the room she wanted by muscle memory alone. She pushed into the rather small room without ceremony or warning. A large work bench dominated the entire left-hand wall while cabinets took up much of the right side, except for a small space with a desk and a chair. “Have a seat.” She waved a hand at the chair at the desk while she herself pulled the stool from the work bench and perched herself atop it. It made her feel taller, more confident and she enjoyed the birds-eye view of most of the room. Every inch of her workbench was covered in bolts, braces, scraps of metal, and knobs. Gears, screws, nails, springs, and what have you overflowed from boxes precariously balanced atop one another. Her tools were hung neatly against the wall, each covered in nicks and scratches from years of wear. As she sat on her stool, she rested her feet on the edge of her desk, effectively blocking Fin in by the desk as she closed the door.

Her legs barring him from leaving, she leaned back against her workbench, her eyes turning up to the ceiling. “Fin, what are you doing here?” She questioned, turn her cheek to look at him, her eyes cold. “I don’t remember calling you, and I don’t think Adam did either, but you still show up here, right after something bad happens. Is it coincidence, or are you involved in this somehow?” Her question was straightforward with no room for maneuvering. If he was involved she didn’t expect him to tell her, but she had to at least ask. She’d do her own digging on her own time, when she was slightly less frazzled. A soft knock on the door let her know that Helen had brought up the drinks and Maria opened the door a fraction to accept the liquor and the tea, setting the cups on the bench behind her while she twisted her body to pour a generous helping of whiskey into the tea, setting one of the two cups down next to Fin on the desk. She reclosed the door and locked it soundly, tapping her foot on the desk while she sipped her tea, waiting for an answer. The burn helped to calm her but still the frustration put a little crinkle between her brows. Normally her tiny workroom made her claustrophobic but just then she craved something smaller, even a cocoon where she could just hide.

“I don’t feel like playing games any more Fin. I just want a straight answer. I want to know your intention, be they good or bad. I want to know the full extent of your connection to Adam and every juicy bit of information about him and yourself that you can offer me.” Her eyes narrowed while she sipped her tea, pausing for a moment for breath. “We aren’t leaving this room until I’m satisfied and I warn you, I’ve spent days in this room so I have plenty of time.”

OOC: It's totally fine ahaha I was just getting worried for a minute there. Also, the workshop is small, like, walk in closet small. She has her back against the bench, and her legs on the desk thats up against the other wall. The rooms probably only like, 5x10. Longer than it is wide.