Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

User Image
Source: kitsunebaba

x x x x x x x x x x x x x
                      『Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking』

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

↘↘↘Zelda

Link was gone for maybe a few seconds at most. How little time had passed did not warrant the out of breath boy sitting up in a tree and Zelda was left trying to figure out when he'd gone from point A to point B. Back on the ground, Link tied it around his waist. It was a weird accessory yet somehow, it worked. "Beautiful," Impa nodded appreciatively.

At the thanks, Impa inclined her chin a fraction. "Don't lie. Of course something will happen to her," she deadpanned and not too gently tapped the center of his chest. "What matters is what you do when it does happen. Never make promises you can't keep. Each one is like a weight ironed into your heart."

Breaking eye contact, she removed her single sling backpack from her shoulder, reached in and handed Zelda a rolled up, worn brown paper. "Leda, hm? What's his name and where are you going?" She raised her brow.

"Tatl. Erm, Link," Zelda replied quickly, unrolling the paper to glance and see it was a map. "Death Mountain."

"Is Link the name or the nickname?"

"Name. Tatl is the... 'nickname.'"

Nodding, Impa faced Link again. "Link, you are the Hero of Legends and she is the Princess of Destiny. She is your inferior and your superior. Remember that," Impa told him and Zelda wasn't sure if what she said made sense or absolutely none at all. Impa continued, "I've never seen a non-Sheikah wear the shroud before. I am shadow, so I don't know what difficulties you might face using it," Impa set her hand on Zelda's shoulder and watched her, in thought. "When you wear the cloak, Link, the shadows are your equal. Do not let them consume or dominate you, nor should you ever try to conquer them. Simply be... apart of it."

Being Sheikah was knowing one's place. That's what Impa had told her, once, and too many understood it only in a negative light. "Little one. I wish we could have more time together," Impa held Zelda's face in her hands and Zelda set her hands on her wrists. After a moment, Impa pressed her lips firmly to her forehead in a chaste kiss. "Do not worry for your family or for myself, you must move forward. You will have to travel to the west. I do not know what grows in Death Mountain, only that it is trouble. Use the northern most road. We will see each other again, I promise."

Friendly Seeker

User Image

LINK~-

"Yes ma'am." He mumbled, suitably chastised. Still Link promised to himself that he wouldn't let anything really bad happen to Zelda, as an amendment to his original words. They would both get through this, no matter what he had to do to make it so.

"Does she usually speak in riddles, or is it just for my benefit?" He commented when Impa was gone, thumb absently ghosting over the feathers at his hip.

Way popped out of his hat at that moment. "That lady was scary!" She floated for a moment before rounding on Link. "Also what on earth did you do!? Where were we just now!?"

This surprised a guilty laugh from Link. He must have taken the fairy with him on that little trip into the shadows. "Zelda's um... Impa gave me a present. Maybe you shouldn't hide in my hat, in case I have to use it again."

Way huffed indignantly, but she settled herself in Zelda's hair, rather than returning to Link's hat.

"So... do you think we can make it to death mountain before nightfall?" Link asked, looking over Zelda's shoulder at the map.

Dapper Dabbler

User Image

↘↘↘Zelda

Too little time. Impa gave her one last hug and Zelda gave her a watery smile. Then Impa stepped back, gave her a nod and locked eye contact before throwing a Deku Nut. When the flash cleared, she was gone.

"She always talks like that," Zelda replied, eyes on where Impa had been last. Although Link stood within arm's reach she was cold and empty. Sometimes she'd forget how much Impa actually cared until moments like that.

Chuckling, Zelda tried to look at where Way had gone. "You'll make my hair look so pretty," she commented lightly and dragged her attention back to the map. "No. We've already spent half the day in the woods and after yesterday, the horse won't be able to go too fast with two people and all of our supplies on her back. Not if we want to make sure she'll last. Our best bet..." she bit her lip and craned her head in. The northern most route was very out of the way however Impa wouldn't have told them to go that way unless it was important. "We can head towards Kakariko Village. If we make it there by nightfall we can find some rooming and make the rest of the trip by morning."

Friendly Seeker

User Image

LINK~-

"Should we be staying in actual establishments?" Link asked. He felt sick, thinking about staying at an inn. His was gone, burned to the ground. "I mean, that huge woman knew what you looked like." He added hastily. "And who knows how far things have spread by now. Can we risk staying a whole night in a town?"

It was a legitimate worry, thank goodness. Link had already imposed his feelings on Zelda enough for the moment. He wanted them gone so he could think clearly. Briefly his mind drifted back to being the fox, being nothing and calm, but that was irresponsible. Zelda needed him here, all of him. He had a promise to keep.

"Well we can always camp just outside of town, pop in briefly to buy some food, then leave again before anyone's the wiser." Link reasoned, going to pet Zelda's horse. Goddesses he hoped Epona had made it out, though his heart sank further thinking about it. Was everyone he loved dead?

Dapper Dabbler

User Image

↘↘↘Zelda

"It'll be fine. We lived in the same city and you didn't know I was the princess. Even when I was in parades people wouldn't recognize me the next day," Zelda answered nonchalantly and turned the map over, as if viewing it that way would help.

Two seconds later the image of the inn on fire and Link's mother coming to save them flashed all too vividly in her head, and the taste of smoke became thick on her tongue. That hadn't even been her family, her home. "Of course it might be good to do some distant observing, get a feel for the area and what's going on rather than going directly in." Rolling up the map, she didn't so much as blink as the suggestion came out. "We can camp outside of town. If it's not too dangerous."

Stepping around Link, she grabbed her horse's reigns, put her foot in the stir-up and hesisted. She leaned to the horse's front and read the nameplate sewn into the strap that went across the mare's chest. "Mulberry," she read aloud, hummed and mounted the house. She held her hand out for Link.

Friendly Seeker

User Image

LINK~-

Mounting behind Zelda, Link frowned. Mulberry wasn't exactly what one would expect a fierce warhorse to be named. Things like Drum or Blue Thunder fit much better, but then he wasn't the one in charge of naming them. Link had never named a horse in his life. Even Epona had been named by his sister.

The briefly flippant train of thought rounded back to more melancholy musings and Link decided to just stop thinking. He let the breeze blow through his hair, closed his eyes and just let his face fall against Zelda's back. His arms were already wrapped lightly around her waist so he didn't fall off, though in that position he did nearly fall asleep a few times.

Way was surprisingly silent. She was either just as worn out as Link was from their day, or she was just so awed by her new surroundings that she couldn't speak. Link didn't really have the heart to break the silence just to ask.

It was coming on sunset when the taller buildings in Kakariko Village came into view. They still had at least an hour's ride before getting there, but that was hardly a huge concern. Still apprehension weighed on Link's stomach and he hoped, ashamedly, that there would be that woman's troops in the village so they didn't have to stay at the Inn.

Dapper Dabbler

User Image

↘↘↘Zelda

Mulberry was alternated between walking and trots, traveling as fast as Zelda felt the horse could go without burning out. Every so often she stopped to water the horse and let her rest her back. Zelda's torso and thighs were burning too. If Impa hadn't pushed for Zelda to have classes on swordsmanship and riding, this would have gone on much, much worse.

Kakariko Village came into view and Zelda remained silent, comfortable in Link's company and mulling over this whole goddess business. They rode up to town under sunset in a lope. Had they come from the regular pathways, they would have seen the twin peaks the entrance of the city was nestled between. From this direction there were only the walls and buildings that were being patrolled. Kakariko Village marked the point between grass and the gradual transformation into red and black volcanic rock.

Slowing as they approached the walls, a group of guards clustered around the wall to watch them. Zelda had a short exchange with the guards and following a warning that all of the beds of the inn and hospital were full, the doors opened.

Kakariko Village was intact and people scurried around like there wasn't enough time to get their work done. An excessive amount of people, guards and civilians alike, were posted up on the wall and at every spot where eyes could be. While they hadn't been attacked it was clear they were aware, and they were ready.

"This is where Impa grew up," Zelda told Link in a quiet voice. "Over there," she pointed in the direction of the setting sun. "Is the cemetery. You can't see it from here, it's behind a few houses. It's where my mother and all of my ancestors are buried." Someday, she'd be in there too. "We'll find a barn or something to sleep in. If not, the ground doesn't look too uncomfortable, does it?"

Friendly Seeker

User Image

LINK~-

The relief Link felt when they were told the inn was booked full almost made his knees feel weak. Still the air of anticipation in the village set his teeth on edge. "We've still got the blankets from the deku tree." A barn, though, that wouldn't be so bad. Hay wasn't exactly the most comfortable of materials, but it was still better than rock or compacted dirt.

"Do you have any money on you? I've got a little, but..." Link never went anywhere without a few rupees on his person, this included his visits with Leda. It wasn't exactly much, though, maybe enough for a week's worth of food if they were careful about it and he got a little creative over a campfire.

Dapper Dabbler

User Image

↘↘↘Zelda

Reaching into her pockets, Zelda produced four red rupees. It would last them for a while, not as long as they'd like. Traveling was expensive. Between two adults, whatever a fairy would need and the horse, the money would not last.

"We can get something hot to eat tonight," she nodded and smiled at him over her shoulder. Dark as it was becoming, the poison purple clouds of Death Mountain were nonetheless visible against the red streaks of sunset.

It took nearly half an hour to find someone willing to let them sleep in their barn. Small, it was home to three cows and a goat. Zelda undid all of Mulberry's tact, told Link to stay and went off to find some food.

The price was a little exorbitant, however following a day of traveling and all they'd been through she didn't have the patience to wait for anything else. She returned to the barn with two turkey cucumber sandwiches and two bottles of milk. Handing Link his share, she opened her milk bottle and fell onto a bundle of hay. "Up for a sweltering hot day tomorrow?" She asked teasingly and peered into her bottle. "Way, do you like the cream top on milk?"

Friendly Seeker

User Image

LINK~-

While Zelda was gone, Link found a brush in a bucket and combed Mulberry down. Her coat was matted with sweat and she snuffled appreciatively with every few strokes, even if the brush was probably coarser than she was used to. She was wonderfully clean and much complimented by the time Zelda got back.

Given what Zelda returned with, Link regretted not arguing coming with her. He had learned haggling from his mother and she always got the price she wanted. Still he didn't say anything, chewing his expensive, albeit tasty dinner.

"I'll buy some raw ingredients and flint tomorrow morning before we head off. It'll be cheaper to make our own meals while we're on the road." He was already running through recipes like damper and stews. They would probably need to find some wood to take up the mountain with them for a fire, too, unless they wanted to eat raw food for the next however long it took them to get up and back down the huge volcano.

"I've never had milk before." Way said curiously, hovering over the top of Zelda's milk until her glow overlapped the lip of the container. "Oh yum!"

"Keep the bottle when you're done." Link instructed on a laugh, trying to drink his milk slowly and failing miserably. "We can use them for storing things."

Dapper Dabbler

User Image

↘↘↘Zelda

There was something special about peasant food. It was filling and very comforting, the sort of thing needed following a very long day. Unable to break habit Zelda sat up straight while eating, however much she wanted to lean back into her hay pile and get crumbs all over her (amazing) new top.

"I know some roots and stuff that we can eat," she added as an afterthought. Outdoors survival was something Impa had taught herself. It'd be a class Zelda had taken interest in more as she'd gotten older.

Chuckling, she waited until Way had stopped leaning in to get a drink of milk. Warm and creamy. There really wasn't anything that could match fresh milk. "What are we going to do with them, stick fairies in them?" She inquired and flashed a toothy grin at Way.

Friendly Seeker

User Image

LINK~-

"I certainly hope not!" Way huffed. Her glow was quickly becoming their main light as the sun drifted completely behind the horizon.

Link laughed again, waving his now empty jar at Way playfully. "We're going to put flour in them, or cornmeal, or whatever ingredients I can find. Hopefully I can buy some jam or honey in their own pots because we only have two of these and while you can eat damper on its own well enough, it's much nicer with something sweet on top."

Leaning back into the hay, Link wrapped his Kokiri blanket firmer around his person. It was quickly getting cold and the shroud Imp had given him sucked warmth rather than kept it. It was stashed to the side, outside his cacoon of blanket so it didn't steal too much.

"Are we gonna leave Mulberry here or risk leaving her alone for a little while when it gets too rocky for her?" Link was puzzling through their options. There weren't any forest children to help them up there, and while there were Gorons at the top, he didn't think they wandered as much, or would be as inclined to give them things. It would have helped a lot if he had a map, but Zelda was working off one in her head.

Dapper Dabbler

User Image

↘↘↘Zelda

Zelda's smile grew exponentially warmer. Hearing Tatl talk about food left her lighter and her attention was briefly encompassed by it. He leaned back into the hay and, remembering her food, Zelda leaned back with him and finished her sandwich and milk.

Empty milk jug set aside, Zelda pulled her blanket up and settled her cheek against the joint of his shoulder. "If we leave her here, there's a chance somebody might sell her for money before we can come back," the reply was given as more of an external thought monologue than anything else. After a beat, she answered in a more direct voice: "I suppose we can take her with us. She came back last time and it'll be cheaper."

Friendly Seeker

User Image

LINK~-

Link's head tilted to rest on top of Zelda's. Stomach full, the strain of the day finally hit him full force. "Gonna have to buy some hay then. I don't think there'll be much for her to eat up there..." He said distractedly, eyes were drooping.

Way settled herself in Link's hat, which he'd placed on top of the Sudario di Vulpi. He hoped she wouldn't be cold in there. Snuggling a little bit further down into his blanket, Link yawned. "We might need some rope too, in case we have to climb... maybe some... some ...some..." Blue eyes fell closed and his head rested more firmly against his friend's.

Dapper Dabbler

User Image

↘↘↘Zelda

Soon as Link dropped off, so did she. In her sleep she did not so much as stir, firmly cemented in her spot against the hay.

Faint music played in her dreams. No, wait. That wasn't right. It wasn't in her dream.

Everything was black and quiet. Off in the distance a guard called out something, voice carried by the otherwise silent town. A pair of red eyes watched her from the doorway.

Her nursemaid's eyes. Zelda sat up slowly, bits of hay sticking out of her hair. Distractedly, she swiped at Link without removing her gaze from the pair of red eyes hovering by the doorway. "Tatl," she hissed. "Link, wake up."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff