Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Full Topic Title: Is J-music relevant? Why "weeboo" or "weeaboo"? And a short list of started Anime/ Manga saluting the Fans.

Can you really call yourself "otaku" without liking at least a little J-music? What is the truth behind the insulting terminology "weeboo"? And what sort of Anime's really open up and dig deep into the meaning of being a fan?

Let's dialog and shed some light on these questions, shall we?

So, we all should know that the term Otaku, or おたく/オタク, is literally a Japanese word used to describe and refer to people with obsessive interests. Commonly towards the anime and manga fandom. (Another contemporary usage is towards Gamers and individuals who Cosplay as Anime characters.) Shunned by most in Japan, popular by most in North America. What a difference, wouldn't you say? J-music is just one of the pop cultures in Japan, which can easily be pointed towards Karaoke on a Global scale. Most introduction titles/songs you hear at the beginning of an Anime, are often written for that particular series. Some are written before a series gets an OST listing or title sequence. So is J-music an essential? Yes! Will everyone enjoy it on its own (without or before seeing an Anime Title/series?) Probably not. In most cases, some Northern Americans won't listen to any J-music or other songs unless hearing it from a favorite or other Anime title first. But it is indeed an essential part of the culture and being Otaku. But not all Fans or Otaku will agree. It depends on you! You're likes, etc.

Let's move on, shall we.

Most of you by now who are hard core Otaku living in North America have probably heard the phrase or term "Weeboo" once before, if not many times. Either directed at you or someone else in a forum, a social network, web site or game. But what does it mean? According to Urban Dictionary, it refers to "a person of non oriental decent that loves anime and manga." Funny how it literally reflects the same definition as Otaku, hrm? But why? After reading over old forum posts, and other places, groups, and games where the term has been used, the usage of the word seems to be tossed around by angry "Anime fans" or people who have a track record of flaming Anime or Orient-related posts, forums, etc. Almost as if used in the context of jealousy or otherwise from troubled persons. Personally, we think it's just a slang made up to insult Otaku, by literally, jealous nerds, or other people interested in the Anime/Manga fandom. Let's face it. A slang term that's definition that exactly repeats (not word for word) what the Japanese definition for "Otaku" means. Sounds suspicious, almost like jealousy. Or, someone heard the term and uses it without knowing what it means.

(What are your thoughts?)

But let's keep in mind, when we see this word used, it's often in spite and probably from a 12 year old acting "cool". Just keep on being a fan and don't let that silliness discourage your interest and hobbies of all things Anime-related, etc.

Now leaving you with a list of some, but not excluding any not present. Here is a good list of Anime's (or if you prefer, Manga's) to get in to in attempts to help grow your prospective and knowledge of the fandom of being Otaku, etc.

1 ) Genshiken S1 & S2, (and soon to be S3)
2 ) Bakuman
3 ) Mangirl
4 ) Comic Party/ Revolution
5 ) Lucky Star
6 ) Otaku no Video
7 ) Welcome to the NHK
8 ) Oreimo 1 & 2
etc...

This concludes our Topics of discussion. Please leave your responses either below, on our Facebook Page, Facebook Group page or our Facebook Like page.

Have a wonderful Day everyone!
(>^_^)>
It's weeaboo.

It's interchangeable with "wapanese". It's not exactly meant to be taken seriously. It's more mocking and satirical like the word "narutard". It's an old memetic joke.

It is really hard to read your entire opening post with a straight face.

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

Are we looking at the same UD definition? Because the first one is:

Quote:
1. Weeaboo

Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes. You can find a lot of these faggots clogging up the forums of Gaia Online, hanging out in the international aisle of the supermarket, or crowding the manga section of your local book store. Synonym of Wapanese.

I told that weeaboo girl over there that Inuyasha sucks. She slapped me across the face and proceeded to cuss me out in Japanese.

Sounds pretty accurate.

And typically, people who call themselves "otaku" are pretty much just your garden variety weeaboo in denial.
What's wrong with just saying you're an "anime fan"? Why do you have to be a special snowflake?

Polkadot Pocky's Partner In Crime

Anxious Shapeshifter

I'm gonna go ahead and discuss this seriously...somehow.
Frankly bits of it make me cringe a bit.

I have never, and will never think of myself as an otaku. I will always use the term fan. I'm not even that casual of a fan. I have gradually drifted into the area of buying figures and merch that I never thought I would.
(Side tangent: I once knew a person who would, rather than say they were a fan of something, would call themselves a "connoisseur". )

Now in terms of music I just listen to whatever sounds good to me. Well arranged? Sounds appeal to me? Cool, I'll listen to it. I don't even particularly care sometimes if I can't understand the words. Heck...I think I have a Russian DJ track floating around somewhere. I don't understand a single word of Russian. There is the odd OP or ED that I download, but less because they're associated with the anime, and more because I go, "Holy s**t I like this song".
I can never wrap my head around people liking music just because it's in or associated with something. I just want to ask them, " Yes, but what do you like about the song"?

As far as terminology goes... didn't weeaboo originate in that one Perry Bible Fellowship comic? If I remember right it was then added as a filter on 4chan for the word "Wapanese" then it just kinda...stuck.
(Someone correct me if I'm way off mark, I don't remember. I could just be spouting nonsense.)
It kinda has always struck me as a replacement for the word otaku in the english language. Otaku is a term that was actually used in a pretty negative context in Japan. Though I think recently it's become used in a slightly less negative context. In North America however it's become almost...a repurposed badge of honor. I see a lot of people taking pride in calling themselves an "Otaku" even if it used to denote the unhealthy obsession side of fandom.

With the way weeaboo is used, it seems that it's just been adopted as a term to refer to the negative context that otaku used to have. Since...apparently...the term that originally denoted an unhealthy level of fandom has managed to get repurposed. It doesn't strike me as jealously in the slightest. I think I see the term used more by anime fans my age (21) than I've ever seen it. Y'know...in a setting other than on 4chan I mean. Every time though, it's in reference to someone with an unhealthy level of fandom about something.

As for the list of shows, can't comment because I haven't seen any of them.
sweatdrop

(That was a much longer reply than I intended, oh god what am I doing with my morning.)

1,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
The way I understood it was, if given the title or called "ötaku", it was either praise or insult. Depending on who's giving it and the context when said. But if claiming to be one, then you're more than likely missing the entire context of the meaning, even if you are the epitome of and know the definition.

Irony is, I went through my entire schooling with forign students, some exchange some not. Majority Korean and Japanese, so that's the feeling I got whenever the word "ötaku" was used.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff