Welcome to Gaia! ::

i know more than you
What he's saying is that you can't emulate something that is culture specific. If you went around doing kabuki in your full (I'm assuming) gaijin-ness, you'd get nothing but laughed at. Not that you can't be a foreign kabuki FAN.

Fan =/= performer.

Apples =/= oranges.

Can I emphasize this enough?

Also, jazz is not culture specific. Your point = failure.

If you can't emulate it, then you sure as hell can't enjoy it! Because the first step to being a fan of something is becoming involved. There are various levels of this, including doing it yourself.

And... don't you think that just regular, non-Japanese fans of visual kei get enough hassle as it is? I, as well as many other vk fans have gotten nothing but laughed at by people of our own cultures because of fandom. Like being laughed at would stop someone from doing as they please. You're going to have to come up with a better comeback there. surprised

And... your little comparison is absolute nonsense. Performers are obviously fans themselves, or have been at one time. How in the world would they know of their craft in the first place had they not been a fan?

Now... if we base the validity of all the points you've made so far on your last statement above [Also, jazz is not culture specific.]... then we get absolute BS. ^_^

To quote someone who knows their musical history...

"Jazz was basically originally derived from slave songs and the like, until African Americans became proud of it as a form of expression with the branching out of blues. It was considered a purely African-American form of music for a long while. A lot of white jazz musicians were looked upon VERY unkindly... while now, we even see Jewish jazz musicians. Go figure."

If that's not proving my point to you, I don't know whether you'd ever understand. whee

And you don't have to bring up that "Visual Kei isn't a musical genre, it's just looks" thing with me anymore. I -understand- that. I've understood that from the very beginning of this conversation, in case you didn't realize it. I've been talking about how non-Japanese can do it just the same as Japanese can... I haven't been saying that it's a genre of music. wink

But I think y'all are forgetting to note that Lillie is Japanese. If he and Cassie were to move to Japan... that would be the difference in whether they're vk? I can bet they aren't about to move across the Pacific just because elitist people like you are picky about which country they abide in. And yes, there are gaijin in vk bands. Look at Chaos+System. Aliene Ma'riage was very prominent in the indie vk scene in Japan for a while... and to have a gaijin in the same current band as Aliene's former vocalist is a pretty big, flashing, neon sign saying that gaijin and non-Japan-abiding people can do vk successfully, as well as gain a fanbase [that, sorry to say, doesn't always have to include you biggrin ].
I wish rolleyes and stare were combined into one, big emoticon.

I would use it here:

-------> <--------
I was going to post all the Pepperming Creeps pics I could find then decided not to because it would make me vomit.
Are you sure it's not indigestion?
they are from new york

lets just say they sound like an Undergound j-rock band
Nalfein
Are you sure it's not indigestion?

Maybe it is. I did eat a crapload of pizza and half a cheesesteak.

gonk
I ate a pita pizza and I'm STARVING.

Nothing is open.

... I DO have two cup noodles, but I'm lazy.

7,600 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Actually, Lillie is my koi. I know him very well, he's a very very talented musician and he has all the right be in the category of visual kei. He's plenty japanese xD;; and very educated in the music genre for many years now. My friend has already made very valid statements above, so I have nothing more to say, but i do have to defend my koi if nessicary
Your fish?

HA

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Nalfein, you've murdered me with laughter. biggrin

Mythical Gekko

I have only one question other than who gives a crap about idiots thinking anything in a VK style (aka a visual look) can be considered VK...... and that would be what the hell possessed someone to think an NYC based band belonged in INTERNATIONAL... they even said there was no point... so why exactly is it here?
Too much hostility in this thread... can't we all just get together and feel the koi?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Mm, slimy.

Mythical Gekko

Nalfein
Too much hostility in this thread... can't we all just get together and feel the koi?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Mm, slimy.
mmmm..... koi-licious.....

7,600 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
XD aren't you all a buncha smart asses?
Koi is usually meant to say "lover" (or can use Koibito too) in japanese >_>;;; domokun

Mythical Gekko

malicious_malik
XD aren't you all a buncha smart asses?
Koi is usually meant to say "lover" (or can use Koibito too) in japanese >_>;;; domokun
not like we don't know... it's just more fun this way XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces