Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Lunatic

discuss this outstanding silent horror:

Rainbow Unicorn

It's awesome. Including the fact that we had to see it on my course.

Wheezing Lunatic

Meshes of the Afternoon

Film Studies course?

Rainbow Unicorn

Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon

Film Studies course?
Cinema studies, yes. And the fun thing is/was that it was the only film I had seen so far when we saw it.

Wheezing Lunatic

Meshes of the Afternoon
Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon

Film Studies course?
Cinema studies, yes. And the fun thing is/was that it was the only film I had seen so far when we saw it.

Cool! It's a very strange movie, but that's what I love it for.

Rainbow Unicorn

Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon
Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon

Film Studies course?

Yes, it's awesome, and the backgrounds or what I should say is really well done.

Wheezing Lunatic

Meshes of the Afternoon
Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon
Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon

Film Studies course?

Yes, it's awesome, and the backgrounds or what I should say is really well done.

Whoever designed the set was an artistic genius.

Rainbow Unicorn

Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon
Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon
Inkmind
Meshes of the Afternoon

Film Studies course?

Whoever designed the set was an artistic genius.
I agree.

Jubella's Fangirl

Unholy Slayer

I was doing some research for a graphic design project in my senior year of college and ran across a movie poster for it in a book and was immediately intrigued. I found the film on the internet later and really loved it (oddly enough I watched Shutter Island like the next day and was completely irritated at how the big twist in that film was a rip off of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari). I wasn't too surprised to learn that Dr. Caligari was a big inspiration for Tim Burton as well. This film inspired me to look into some more German Expressionist films from the 20's and I ended up really enjoying Nosferatu and Metropolis as well.
The cultural impact was very interesting, and I love some of the shots, but I'm kind of burnt on it after studying it a lot. As far as silent film goes I found Metropolis a much more interesting watch, more than once. For viewing pleasure, Dr Caligari's just not my kind of story/film.

Wheezing Lunatic

cajunvoodoo
I was doing some research for a graphic design project in my senior year of college and ran across a movie poster for it in a book and was immediately intrigued. I found the film on the internet later and really loved it (oddly enough I watched Shutter Island like the next day and was completely irritated at how the big twist in that film was a rip off of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari). I wasn't too surprised to learn that Dr. Caligari was a big inspiration for Tim Burton as well. This film inspired me to look into some more German Expressionist films from the 20's and I ended up really enjoying Nosferatu and Metropolis as well.

Is actually found Nosferatu boring compared to Dr Caligari. I need to see Metropolis though. And I can see all the influence on Shutter Island and Tim Burton now that you mentioned that haha. I only like Shutter Island because Leonardo DiCaprio is one of my favorite actors.

Wheezing Lunatic

Derpravity
The cultural impact was very interesting, and I love some of the shots, but I'm kind of burnt on it after studying it a lot. As far as silent film goes I found Metropolis a much more interesting watch, more than once. For viewing pleasure, Dr Caligari's just not my kind of story/film.

The story isn't for everyone, but you have to admit, whoever's idea it was to design the set and characters to look familiar, but much like a nightmare did a great job.

Jubella's Fangirl

Unholy Slayer

Inkmind
cajunvoodoo

Is actually found Nosferatu boring compared to Dr Caligari. I need to see Metropolis though. And I can see all the influence on Shutter Island and Tim Burton now that you mentioned that haha. I only like Shutter Island because Leonardo DiCaprio is one of my favorite actors.

Nosferatu is a bit drawn out at times, especially when compared to the length of Dr. Caligari.

Metropolis is also really long, but it is freaking amazing. Even though it's already long I'd recommend watching the version that was released not too long ago that had about 30 minutes of footage added to it that they previously thought had been lost or something. The extra footage helps the story to be clearer in my opinion.

O.G. Codger

20,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
Dr. Caligari was a cinematographic masterpiece. I saw this in a film class as well, and it really is a fascinating study.

Rainbow Unicorn

Jumping Jehosaphat
Dr. Caligari was a cinematographic masterpiece. I saw this in a film class as well, and it really is a fascinating study.
Sure is, I would love to rewatch it now that we're doing Film Theory.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff