Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

Does it make sense to you (as a viewer and/or fan) to assume the MacManus brothers were celibate?

I always assumed they were probably celibate since their depicted lifestyle and religious conviction made it seem plausible and also I personally think it suits the characters really well if they were meant to be perceived that way. If there had been some romantic or sexual story line involving either brother I think it would have cheapened the story drastically in both movies. That's my opinion.
And of course, can't know for sure unless Troy Duffy ever clarifies.

But the other day when talking about the movies (cause they're awesome) someone stated that they thought the same thing about the brothers when I hadn't mentioned my opinion, so it got me wondering whether it's a commonly assumed detail?

Thoughts?

Dangerous Streaker

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Lyson Pain

Well...yes and no.

In the Irish/Celtic Catholic community, celibacy is supposedly only asked the clergy, though abstinence from masturbation and premarital sex are discouraged for all. So, yes in that they'd be celibate now, but no in that it would be a no-brainer just because they're them.

But beyond that fact I do agree that adding a romantic plotline would cheapen the films -- honestly it'd be the nail in the trilogy's coffin, because that's not what it's about and employing that kind of B-plot to give the films direction is just severe disengagement from the plot, as well as a big middle finger into the face of the 'premarital sex' views of the Catholic faith. Besides, I view them more or less asexual, so I don't think either of their marital status' will ever change anyway.

TL;DR yes, but only because they're not married (and I doubt they ever will be)

Dangerous Lunatic

this is my fall avatar
Lyson Pain

Well...yes and no.

In the Irish/Celtic Catholic community, celibacy is supposedly only asked the clergy, though abstinence from masturbation and premarital sex are discouraged for all. So, yes in that they'd be celibate now, but no in that it would be a no-brainer just because they're them.

But beyond that fact I do agree that adding a romantic plotline would cheapen the films -- honestly it'd be the nail in the trilogy's coffin, because that's not what it's about and employing that kind of B-plot to give the films direction is just severe disengagement from the plot, as well as a big middle finger into the face of the 'premarital sex' views of the Catholic faith. Besides, I view them more or less asexual, so I don't think either of their marital status' will ever change anyway.

TL;DR yes, but only because they're not married (and I doubt they ever will be)

I did read about the premarital sex thing in the Irish Catholic faith, so I guess that could be the reason, but then again, two famous homicidal vigilante's on a holy mission don't strike me as the sorts to go getting married.

Saying it'd be a no-brainer just because they're them (i assume you mean because they're young men who drink and socialize?) kinda doesn't fit either for me, because as you mentioned, if not celibate, the next assumption would be that they're asexual. The depiction of the their characters lifestyles/habitat/personalities, even before they became the 'saints' didn't give me the impression they were looking for a potential girlfriend or wife.

But yeah definitely agreed on the hope that the third movie (which has apparently finally been pitched to a studio) will not have any kind of sexual plot line, it just wont do the original story idea justice, but I have faith in Troy Duffy, he didn't do it in Boondock 2 despite the female character and his so far revealed plot idea for 3 has the 'saints' in prison, so I think it's unlikely.

Dangerous Streaker

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Lyson Pain

I went to a recent film panel; they're toying with the title Legion for the third movie and they already have a solid plot, no love interest mentioned. c:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff