any more plz?

yum_strawberry

Invisible Friend

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Okay... look up Japanese horror movies. Try for the ones that are actually from japan and not the crappy American remakes. Believe me on that.
A few good ones:

The Audition- Can't say anything, spoilers.
Gin Gwai/The eye- DO NOT SEE THE AMERICAN VERSION. If you have you'll see where we silly stupid Americans get thing wrong. This is one of the best horror movies I've seen about ghosts.
One missed call- yes as stupid as a premiss it is, believe me, they actually call it out IN the movie. Taking EVERYTHING a normal person would do in that situation and doing it. Brilliant.
Rosemary's Baby- Just to put it in there for the sake of "American" horror. It is fantastically done.

Basically what you want to look for are OLDER movies. And movies that where in the original countries, rather then remakes.

Liberal Ladykiller

I was just reminded of how much I like Rob Zombie movies.
I would check out House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Harry Copperfield Dresden
Okay... look up Japanese horror movies. Try for the ones that are actually from japan and not the crappy American remakes. Believe me on that.

Most Japanese horror films are re-hashes that have no original ideas, they just seem more original to you because you aren't as familiar with the cliches that permeate the genre in comparison to American horror films. But trust me, they are all just as generic and outright ******** terrible as the films you're smugly, condescendingly disregarding.

Except Audition, which was pretty rad.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Metronome

Most Japanese horror films are re-hashes that have no original ideas, they just seem more original to you because you aren't as familiar with the cliches that permeate the genre in comparison to American horror films. But trust me, they are all just as generic and outright ******** terrible as the films you're smugly, condescendingly disregarding.

Not really, most the movies I see are horror movies. That says quite a bit about my life... but anyways.
Take a look at the American remakes of japanese horror films. What the Japanese do is keep to the more subtle horror. Not as many, SHOCK!!! Points with very loud stings. That is shocking, not real horror. If you want to know what is real horror, it is the everyday.
While you see cliche, I see what is true to the theme. Just plain horror, you don't need to do something new and innovating for each and every movie. Like with all the superhero movies coming out? Those themes, 'kill the bad guys' basically... is an old hat, but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy the movies.
I'm just kind glad they stopped making remakes of old horror movies. And also, I hate rob zombie. His remakes of one the the BEST, I do mean BEST horror movie out there made me want to kill him. I will never be a fan ever again after what he did.

Dapper Dabbler

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Check out a Psychological Horror film called "The Ugly." I believe it's from New Zealand.

There's actually an American film that I quite love called "Midnight Movie", but you have to watch "Midnight Movie: The Killer Cut" because they went back and re-shot and fixed a lot of their issues to make the movie much better for that cut.
Antichrist is brilliant. I know the title can be a little off putting, but it's really a beautiful film. Makes me nervous that's for sure.

Anything by Alfred Hitchcock.
Another good one is 1978 Halloween, by John Carpenter. That one's really suspensful.

Dangerous Lunatic

Metronome

Not really, most the movies I see are horror movies. That says quite a bit about my life... but anyways.
Take a look at the American remakes of japanese horror films. What the Japanese do is keep to the more subtle horror. Not as many, SHOCK!!! Points with very loud stings. That is shocking, not real horror. If you want to know what is real horror, it is the everyday.
While you see cliche, I see what is true to the theme. Just plain horror, you don't need to do something new and innovating for each and every movie. Like with all the superhero movies coming out? Those themes, 'kill the bad guys' basically... is an old hat, but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy the movies.
I'm just kind glad they stopped making remakes of old horror movies. And also, I hate rob zombie. His remakes of one the the BEST, I do mean BEST horror movie out there made me want to kill him. I will never be a fan ever again after what he did.
His point is that Japanese movies are, as a rule, incredibly formulaic, even more so than American movies.
You may complain about the lack of subtlety in American horror movies, but that's a completely different discussion.

You can't even recommend that movie without spoiling it.
Who the ******** thought that cover was a good idea?
sltttbrgr
Metronome

His point is that Japanese movies are, as a rule, incredibly formulaic, even more so than American movies.
You may complain about the lack of subtlety in American horror movies, but that's a completely different discussion.

I thought Audition kind of sucked. If you want to see some good Miike films check out Ichi the Killer or Gozu.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
sltttbrgr

Idiots thought of the cover. Probably stupid Americans, cause I can't find the Japan Cover.
I actually got this movie from netflix only because my brother wanted me to watch it. So I did was pleasantly taken in by it.
Also... this thread was quite dead until a troll revived it.... why reply?

EDIT: I forgot, so my point is, that just because you know the concept of what the movie is about does not make that movie a BAD movie. For example, EVERY HORROR MOVIE EVER MADE.
In these days it is not only impossible, but down right inedible that your horror movie is pretty much the same as every other horror movie out there. When Paranormal Activity came out, we got this huge resurgence of POV movies like what movie... The Blair Witch Project! So paranormal activity did not get its POV concept from out of thin air. Its been done before.
But, just because it was done before, and kinda failed, does not mean that Paranormal is a bad movie. It is fantastically done and only LATER failed because you knew exactly how the movies are planned out. Something happens when the camera is on, or when the camera moves away. Mostly when it is moving away.

See what I mean? Paranormal Activivty in its later movies never did anything new to change up how the movie works. While in quite a few Japan-Horror films you get yes cliche plots you've seen a thousand times but like with One Missed Call the orginonal Japan verison these people are dying. So what happens? The media gets in and films these people after they get the haunted phone calls, and bring in police what have you. What you thought you got was a cliche and silly plot about a haunted cell phone, but you got a horror movie which is aware of its self. That knows enough about HUMANS that it uses that to make a great movie.
Having borderline mental disability characters is a trope far far far far too long used in almost every horror movie. We've all see Scream right? Well the kid that is telling you how to survive in a horror movie is right! Plus the parents should be like, "oh sorry billy but a killer is on the loose, the police force is mandating a eight o'clock curfew for your safety, I know we planned on going somewhere, but we are staying here because we love you." See how that works? The movie is aware enough that it is a no longer just a cliche slasher movie you've seen a thousand times. It is a good semi-parody of those slasher films by being one of them.

So what I am saying, and what I said before was this: Just because you have a 'cliche' done a thousand times plot, does not make that movie bad. It is makes it blend in.

Also have not harped on Avatar so lets do that. Avatar is only 'good' because of the graphics. It plot is just plain insulting that has been done so many times that the first time seeing it I knew exactly how it was going to end. But if they focused more on the plant life, the animal life of Pandora and just stopped for awhile that would have made the movie more effective. I do like the game of the movie, better then the movie its self. If only because you get more immersed into the culture of the Na'vii and you get to walk around Pandora.

Stubborn Humorist

20,650 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Party Member 100
deomante
Here are some good ones:

Top 10 Recent Indie Horror Flicks

WoW!!

This is seriously damn awesome!!

whee

Quick Reply