Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pure-hearted Lunatic

22,650 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Kastra: Victory! 250
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
I work at a library (in the U.S.), and I'd like for us to expand our foreign film collection. OK, we basically have nothing rolleyes I want to change that, so I'm trying to get together a list of some recommendations. I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Here are some that I'm planning on putting on my list, as I've seen them and they were wonderful:

-Departures
-Pan's Labyrinth
-Amelie
-Persepolis
-Paris, je t'aime

I'd definitely recommend any of these to other people heart

... Honestly, I thought I had more than that (I know I've seen far more than that!), but I'm blanking. So I really need recs! Recent movies especially would be great. The librarian I'm working with requested ones that have dubbed English tracks available, but ... I don't know how realistic that is.

Rainbow Unicorn

Rashomon, Gertrud, Germany in Autumn, Dodes'ka-den, Ali: Fear eats the Soul, In the Mood for Love, The Meetings of Anna... I can go on for a while, just some of my favs.

Pure-hearted Lunatic

22,650 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
Meshes of the Afternoon
Rashomon, Gertrud, Germany in Autumn, Dodes'ka-den, Ali: Fear eats the Soul, In the Mood for Love, The Meetings of Anna... I can go on for a while, just some of my favs.

Thanks! Rashomon and In the Mood for Love are great -- can't believe I forgot them. I'll definitely check out the rest.

Pure-hearted Lunatic

22,650 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
Kattelsker
Battle Royale! It's a Japanese horror movie (based off the original book), and one of my favorites. There's also a sequel to it, Battle Royale II, but it wasn't as good as the first.

Oh, I didn't realize this had finally gotten a U.S. DVD release! I read the novel a few years back, but never got around to watching the movie. I'll have to fix that now.

Rainbow Unicorn

Glass Lily
Meshes of the Afternoon

Thanks! Rashomon and In the Mood for Love are great -- can't believe I forgot them. I'll definitely check out the rest.
No probs :3 I get to see quite a lot in my course so ^^

L'age d'or, Tokyo Monogatari, Sans soleil(if one can get it on DVD), I am curious(Yellow).. Waagh,I can go on forever XD

Rainbow Unicorn

Also that dub rule sounds weird. Unless it's a voice-over thing that exists like Sans soleil I just find it utterly stupid.

Pure-hearted Lunatic

22,650 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
Meshes of the Afternoon
Also that dub rule sounds weird. Unless it's a voice-over thing that exists like Sans soleil I just find it utterly stupid.

Oh, I said the same thing (heck, I'm the sort who watches English programs with subtitles). Her reasoning was when she sat down to watch a foreign film with her parents, they couldn't follow the subtitles, so it'd be better for the older people to have a dub available. But honestly, older people are probably not going to be the ones interested, and if they really are, then hopefully they won't let subtitles stop them -- since many don't have dubs available in the first place. I'm going to insist on my list whether or not they have dubs.

Rainbow Unicorn

Glass Lily
Meshes of the Afternoon

Oh, I said the same thing (heck, I'm the sort who watches English programs with subtitles). Her reasoning was when she sat down to watch a foreign film with her parents, they couldn't follow the subtitles, so it'd be better for the older people to have a dub available. But honestly, older people are probably not going to be the ones interested, and if they really are, then hopefully they won't let subtitles stop them -- since many don't have dubs available in the first place. I'm going to insist on my list whether or not they have dubs.
Yeah, do that. And I thought the older would appreciate it more with just subs, but there we go...

Rainbow Unicorn

Also, Pandora's Box if you can get it. It should be available with english intertitles as well. Saw it today at a silent film-concert and dude that was awesome.
I'd recommend the films Bread and Tulips (Italian) and Like Water For Chocolate (Mexican).
Both are centered around the personal growth and romantic lives of women in a non-chick flick fashion.
Bread and Tulips has more wit but Like Water For Chocolate has more passion.

Edit: Also, 8 Women is this phenomenal French film (based on a play, and quite frankly is directed as a play) with short musical solos for each of the character. I cannot get over how great it is just so good.
Joyeux Noel. It is really good. I saw it for the first time last year and I would like to make it a tradition to watch it every Christmas.

Rainbow Unicorn

Chungking Express.

And all stuff made by Yazujiru Ozu c.

Wheezing Prophet

8,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Eraserhead (1977)

3 Women (1977)

To Sir, With Love AKA Bloody Reunion (2006, Korean Subs)

They're Made Out of Meat (2005, short 8 min film)
Belleville Rendez-Vous; very little dialogue, but it's an absolutely fab little animated film.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff