Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
c. Alluvion
And if you like Joan Crawford, I suggest you see Strait Jacket if you haven't already. It's super-corny and kinda dumb

I don't think you "get" Straight Jacket/William Castle.
Metronome
c. Alluvion
And if you like Joan Crawford, I suggest you see Strait Jacket if you haven't already. It's super-corny and kinda dumb

I don't think you "get" Straight Jacket/William Castle.

Keep in mind that "corny and dumb" are relative concepts-- I love Strait Jacket, but
[spoilers]
the oddly elaborate plot Carol sets up stretches credulity (tape recorders? Carol you were doing fine before all that), and the odd speech at the end....
[/spoilers]
Perhaps I'm being too harsh-- besides, the silly elements give the film a unique flavor, and they're probably the reason I like it so much (as compared to Psycho, which is probably a "better" film, but a much less fun one). If I'm missing something, please fill me in!

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
c. Alluvion
Perhaps I'm being too harsh-- besides, the silly elements give the film a unique flavor

The quote-unquote "Silly" elements are fully intended. You can't laugh ironically at something that's intentionally supposed to be funny. It would be like berating Ghostbusters for having too many jokes.

William Castle even said he didn't need any any of his usual gimmicks in the movie because casting Joan Crawford is the biggest gimmick of them all.

Wheezing Lunatic

The Original Version of The Haunting is pretty fantastic, even now.

Conservative Hunter

8,375 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Big Tipper 100
The original Hell House, Masque of the Red Death..Man with the X-Ray Eyes, creepy cool..As for Bogart..Maltese Falcon!

4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I second the Haunting which can be found on Youtube. A lot of classics are available on Youtube for that matter.

I also recommend The Red Shoes (194 cool . This movie is amazing. It's about how a ballet dancer is torn between the man she loves and her pursuit to become a prima ballerina.

Tipsy Conversationalist

Oh geez I'm gonna have to recommend Fritz Lang's "M" from 1931. It's the movie that made Peter Lorre a film star, and typecast him in the same stroke. He was just so damn good no one could see him as anything else for ages..
I'm kind of surprised no one has said Arsenic and Old Lace yet. FANTASTIC movie.

Winter Wraith's Compadre

Blessed Genius

6,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Watch Citizen Kane. One of the most classic movies out there. I first watched it in 9th grade, haven't forgotten about it since.

Rainbow Unicorn

Rashomon, Tokyo monogatari, Hadaka no shima. Awesome japanese classics.

Hilarious Gaian

The original When a Stranger Calls was very good, used to scare the poop out of me when I was younger!

Divine Sex Symbol

9,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and Gone With The Wind
Crap! I have so many recomendations I don't know where to begin!
How has no one mentioned Freaks yet? It was directed by the same man who made Dracula, plus it's in the public domain so you can watch it online. Check YouTube. smile

Mega Newb

7,450 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I second the vote for Fritz Lang's M. Also check out Metropolis by him, as well!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff