Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Browser

8,650 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Invisibility 100
You could try The Labyrinth. I saw it for the first time last night and loved it. It's from the 80s, so, unfortunately, the effects aren't that great compared to today's standards. But it stars David Bowie, so...

Kawaii Sentai

In the Mood for Love. It's good, and strange if you don't get the storyline :p
Well... You could try Donnie Darko. It's not gory by any stretch of the imagination, but it sure does give you that 'What on earth...?!' factor.
Also, try Rubber. It's also not too gory either, but there is a fair amount of exploding heads. It is, however, reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly weird. Like, you could be on drugs and not be able to get past the first ten minutes (and no, I am not speaking from experience, just quoting someone who is). The whole time I sat there, all I could think was, 'This is not happening...'

Hope that helps! -^.^-

Friendly Noob

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
A really odd movie I saw was called Immortel (Ad Vitam)

It's a European movie, but it is in English. It's set in the future and has to do with Horus, as in Horus from Egyptian Mythology. It's really weird, but really good

Linkage to the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/

Friendly Noob

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
satansrose
Eyes Wide Shut, Feed, 9 Songs, Histoire d'O, Pan's Labyrinth, The Holy Mountain, Das Experiment ( try german films, they are good at messing with the head)

9 Songs is pretty good, first film of that particular genre that I ever saw, it was very well done.
I've seen a few people suggest this now and I have to point out, DON'T WATCH FIRE WALK WITH ME BEFORE TWIN PEAKS. The movie is a prequel that came out after the show was over, and it basically focuses on explaining one of the biggest mysteries of the show in detail. Half the fun in Twin Peaks is trying to figure out who the murderer is, and it'll be ruined in under two hours if you watch the movie first.

That being said, obviously, any David Lynch stuff will be good. Also check out anything Alejandro Jodorowsky's done.
Ooh, one more thing you can watch right now, runs just over 20 minutes.. It's a stop motion short film by Timothy and Stephen Quay, Street of Crocodiles.

Altered States
Live Freaky! Die Freaky! ... really strange but it's a fun one to have under your watcher belt rofl

Kawaii Sentai

Hadaka no Shima. Strange, yet very strong and fascinating.

Manly Paladin

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Brandisher 100
Astrid Fay
I like really weird movies. Like "What the hell what just happened?" stuff. Anything that screws with perception of reality or is extremely surreal or philosophical. The gorier the better, though I hate just hack and slash serial killing stuff. I just want bizarre and strangely filmed. And I like them to be dark.

And nothing generic like Waking Life, Pi, Doom Generation Dark City, etc.

Please and thank you. =)

you NEED to see phantasm if that's your kind of movie. also, ignore the thread i'm about the create dealing with it because it's major spoilers.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show. should defiantly be at the top of your list of movies to watch

Hilarious Prophet

7,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
These are some of my favorites. Some of these probably aren't as dark as you'd like, but, you asked for strange movies. smile
"A Clockwork Orange"
"Eraserhead"
"Lost Highway"
"Donnie Darko"
"Enter the Void" (It's all in first person view!)
"Stay" (One of my favorites--Highly recommend it!)
"The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"
"Pet Shop of Horrors" (The original black-and-white one)
"Inland Empire"
"Blue Velvet"
"Paper House" (Not as strange, but really interesting nonetheless)
"Pan's Labyrinth"
"The Man Who Fell to Earth"
"Incubus"
"The Wicker Man"
"Häxan" (A silent Swedish film. Good luck finding this one...)
"The Shining"
"Wristcutters: A Love Story"
"The Hunger"
"Sheitan"
"Nowhere"
"Mirror Mask"
"Cat People"
"The City of Lost Children"
"The Science of Sleep"

Yeah, I watch weird movies as a hobby. XD

Dapper Vegetarian

Has anyone mentioned Akira yet? The whole thing was a WTF moment.

Oh, and while these aren't exactly gory or anything, they are odd, and they are some of my favorite movies to watch.
Triplets of Belleville (animated, none of the characters speak, very quirky)
Logan's Run (dystopian, slightly funny in its own special unintentional way with some odd WTF bits)
Astrid Fay
Please? I need new movies.

Must Watch The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 which is recently released and rock the hollywood industry...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games