Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Phantom

Being Human is a supernatural drama on BBC3. In a nutshell, it's about a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire trying to live together and be normal.

The fourth series finished last Sunday. I have no one to talk to about it except myself, so I'm not getting very intelligent responses.

Anyone else watched it?

Dangerous Vampire

9,850 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Wow, I didn't even know it was airing yet. But then, I'm in america. I guess that would explain it. As soon as I have watched it, I will come look you up for discussion smile

Familiar Phantom

Mr John Mitchell
Wow, I didn't even know it was airing yet. But then, I'm in america. I guess that would explain it. As soon as I have watched it, I will come look you up for discussion smile

For me, British shows have that extra appeal to me American shows don't have at all - that familiarity, the geographical and cultural setting, the humour, the accents, is all a lot closer to me. Makes me feel at home, like it's happening at my doorstep. Though I am noticing more and more that British TV like Doctor Who and Sherlock are growing ever more popular across the pond.

I will absolutely be here for discussion. I'm trying to watch the 1st series again right now. And love your avatar by the way.

Dangerous Vampire

9,850 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Cassaela
Mr John Mitchell

For me, British shows have that extra appeal to me American shows don't have at all - that familiarity, the geographical and cultural setting, the humour, the accents, is all a lot closer to me. Makes me feel at home, like it's happening at my doorstep. Though I am noticing more and more that British TV like Doctor Who and Sherlock are growing ever more popular across the pond.

I will absolutely be here for discussion. I'm trying to watch the 1st series again right now. And love your avatar by the way.

Haha thanks. I loved Mitchell. he was my fave. I am really excited to see Aidan Turner in The Hobbit later this year. *fangirlish squeal*

Lol, even in spite of being american I also like British shows better. American TV has this need to press everything into a mold cast from things that have been done and overdone. I watched a bit of the american remake of Being Human, and it lacks the sense of realism about the characters. I found George and Mitchell and Annie and Nina to be very sweet, funny, relatable characters that had no trouble showing depth. The American characters are so much less endearing. So much less real. I mean, when I first poor George's agonised, high-pitched shrieks, it tugged at my heart strings. "Josh's" fakey screams in the american version are not even close.

I dunno, American producers always want things to look all hollywood. every hair has to be in place, everyone has to be beautiful, and nothing can be raw.

I suppose British TV probably falls victim to some of that stuff too, but I don't see it as much. Though I do think DW and Sherlock are headed that way a bit, which disappoints me. Stupid Moffat.

Ok, rant over. Sorry.

BTW, I did find that the first few episodes of Series 4 are on Amazon instant video, so as soon as I can get some money in the bank I will be able to really get started on it. I only had about 2 dollars in my checking account, so I have only watched the first episode.

And might I say: WTF? I was so sad about George and Nina! Its so unfair! though I did think George was terribly heroic in the end.
I was positively Giddy to see Mark WIlliams as the Vampire Recorder though. I love him! That whole 'ritual' that he did had me absolutely rolling with laughter! I coukd tell it was gonna be awesome as soon as he said it required a special hat.
And I am positive that the old werewolf that was strapped to the bed was in the Doctor Who episode 'Blink'. I can just picture him saying 'Life is long and you are hot'. But thats probably a bit nerdy of me to mention it. XD

I can't wait to see what happens in the rest of the series, because at this point the plot is confusing me terribly. But as it was only the first episode, I suppose that is to be expected.

Familiar Phantom

Mr John Mitchell

I, too, am UNSPEAKABLY excited for the Hobbit. I grew up with LotR, and with John Watson as Bilbo and Mitchell as one of the dwarves, amongst other people I know/recognise, it's gonna be great. When I saw the pics of the dwarves all styled up, I was like, "hey, isn't he the vampire from Being Human?" xD

I absolutely agree about the airbrushed Hollywood plasticness of some American TV. Being Human has definitely got a rawness and honesty about it. I love how it really brings home how being supernatural, being a monster, is not glamorous and sexy. It's agonising and it's lonely and it's terrifying and it's not something you want to be. And if you're unlucky enough, if fate or the gods hate you enough, you'll just have to deal with it the best you can.

As someone who knows the original trio, I'd love to hear your opinions on Hal and Tom. Yesterday I also watched the first 3 or so eps of series 1 so am starting to remember Mitchell and George again. When I first saw series 4, I was all, "who the hell are these new clones? Where's the dwarf and Alonso?" so I automatically hated Tom and Hal and they really annoyed me at first, but they absolutely grew on me and now I love them both and reallyreally honestly care about what happens to them.

I started watching series 4 from ep 4 so yeah, it was confusing for me too xD It was on iPlayer (I would marry BBC iPlayer) and I watched it on a whim because I'd seen a little of Being Human and liked it, though I'd never committed to watching it properly. I don't think the overall storyline of series 4 is absolutely amazing but the plot itself is not unwatchable. But admittedly, more of the appeal of the series comes from the characters.

Now you mention it, I can completely see Leo saying those lines in Blink! (God I love that episode. That was Moffat at 100% awesome.)

4,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Aw, man, I started watching but I missed the last episode because ... well, because I'm not a morning person and it airs on a Sunday night. And I have to be up for work on Mondays ...

I watches series 1 and 2, and then, I think I must have missed 3? I'm not sure ... I loved the first series so much, though. And yep, missed Mitchell right from the start of series 4 =( but then, seeing Michael Socha billed to appear made me very happy - I loved him as Harvey in This Is England '86 and This Is England '88. So yeah, I did develop a soft spot for Tom, admittedly ...

I do need to catch up, thank goodness for iPlayer on my laptop though. And I have to agree that Mark Williams' turn as The Vampire Recorder was pure brilliance!

Familiar Phantom

xNuclearWonderlandx
Aw, man, I started watching but I missed the last episode because ... well, because I'm not a morning person and it airs on a Sunday night. And I have to be up for work on Mondays ...

I watches series 1 and 2, and then, I think I must have missed 3? I'm not sure ... I loved the first series so much, though. And yep, missed Mitchell right from the start of series 4 =( but then, seeing Michael Socha billed to appear made me very happy - I loved him as Harvey in This Is England '86 and This Is England '88. So yeah, I did develop a soft spot for Tom, admittedly ...

I do need to catch up, thank goodness for iPlayer on my laptop though. And I have to agree that Mark Williams' turn as The Vampire Recorder was pure brilliance!

I tried to get a screenie from the last ep of series 4, The War Child, but iPlayer insists I try to do this with some lady doing sign language at me blocking half the screen =/

I recently finished the 1st series which I quite enjoyed excluding the obscene bits which, as someone who doesn't enjoy that kind of thing, I found quite unnecessary xD Besides it turned out that I'd already watched half of it anyway but now I understand it all properly.

Tom is amazing. I hated him and thought he was a pleb when I first met him, but now I want him as my big brother. I honestly wanted to hate the new characters of series 4 because, well, they were new, so it's quite impressive that I end up caring hugely about both of htem. I don't know the actor Williams but he was very funny!

Dangerous Vampire

9,850 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Cassaela

I finally finished series 4 smile

I was in shock at how it ended. Now none of the original 3 are left!
I'm guessing that Alex? is probably going to stay on as the new ghost. though, so that's cool. I like her.

But one thing bothers me about the whole plot of this series. Eve survives to adulthood, dies, goes back and tells Annie that she has to die. Annie kills eve, and her older self ceases to exist. If eve died as a child, there is no Eve to come back to tell Annie to kill her. That should be a paradox. Or maybe I just watch too much Doctor Who sweatdrop

Familiar Phantom

Mr John Mitchell

I'm guessing that Alex? is probably going to stay on as the new ghost. though, so that's cool. I like her.
But one thing bothers me about the whole plot of this series. Eve survives to adulthood, dies, goes back and tells Annie that she has to die. Annie kills eve, and her older self ceases to exist. If eve died as a child, there is no Eve to come back to tell Annie to kill her. That should be a paradox. Or maybe I just watch too much Doctor Who sweatdrop

Thanks so much for coming back to this thread!! =D

Annie had to go - there was nothing tying her down to this mortal coil except that baby, and she never bonded with Hal and Tom any further than as a housemate. All that 'this is not up for discussion' and not trying to talk about decisions as a group.

Yeah, any storyline with time travel in it is bound to be paradoxical, and thus will make no proper sense :/ I also don't like prophecy-driven storylines because, like Mycroft said, people get reliant on them, but at least the series picked up on that. So in the end I didn't really like the overall plot arc, eheheheh sweatdrop But that also says that the characters have a really strong hold over me.

I like Alex too. I used to have a most glorious Scottish accent back when I lived there but now I have a garbled and unrecognisable (and really annoying...) accent crying Can't wait to see how Alex will settle into the family. It's got to be exciting - a druggie (or equivalent of) in rehab, and 2 children/young adults (however you want to spin it) living under a roof together. How are they going to survive? xD

Dangerous Vampire

9,850 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Cassaela
Mr John Mitchell

Thanks so much for coming back to this thread!! =D

Annie had to go - there was nothing tying her down to this mortal coil except that baby, and she never bonded with Hal and Tom any further than as a housemate. All that 'this is not up for discussion' and not trying to talk about decisions as a group.

Yeah, any storyline with time travel in it is bound to be paradoxical, and thus will make no proper sense :/ I also don't like prophecy-driven storylines because, like Mycroft said, people get reliant on them, but at least the series picked up on that. So in the end I didn't really like the overall plot arc, eheheheh sweatdrop But that also says that the characters have a really strong hold over me.

I like Alex too. I used to have a most glorious Scottish accent back when I lived there but now I have a garbled and unrecognisable (and really annoying...) accent crying Can't wait to see how Alex will settle into the family. It's got to be exciting - a druggie (or equivalent of) in rehab, and 2 children/young adults (however you want to spin it) living under a roof together. How are they going to survive? xD

Yeah, you're quite right about Annie. I just hope that the new trio stay together and bond into something like the original three. Because Mitchell, George, and Annie had something beautiful. They were just so close and cared so much.

I am also hoping they give the characters some down time and focus more on the domestic stuff next season. After all that end of the world/chosen one/time travel stuff I think everyone needs a break. I know they did introduce a new plot point in the end of the season, but I really hope they let it rest in the background for a while.
And they'd better never leave the Honolulu Heights because I love that place.

I also hope Hal doesn't do a Box Tunnel 20 now that he's off the wagon. I'd hate to see him end up like Mitchell after spending 55 years sober.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff