Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devicious
Love it. surprised
Not sure if I really, really want to see the Hunger Games. My friends and relatives came up to me, "OMG HUNGER GAMES SOOOOO GOOOOD." (Although I did say I'll watch the Hunger Games since I'm the type of a person to watch first then judge later. I just don't have that much of an interest for the Hunger Games, that's all.)
Me: HEARD OF BATTLE ROYALE?
Them: No? Wtf is that?
Me: emotion_c8 ................... emotion_8c

haha well to be fair, it was kind of an adventure trying to see the movie before now. I think this might be the first release of battle royale in america... And the last few years it wasn't available to buy. So, I don't blame peeps for not knowing it. But it is worth knowing about.

Yeah I've heard good things about Hunger Games, and bad things. A reviewer I like watching (moviebob) didn't find it all that interesting. Sounds like how I'd feel about it. Makes me think of Twilight... I don't really like twilight.

4,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Yes. So much yes. A film release (or re-release) that actually warrants some excitement.

Now I'm in the UK, but this news still excites me. I just have an awful feeling that my friends are going to go Hunger Games crazy ... at which point I shall whip out my Battle Royale DVD and make them watch it!

Unfortunately, this never seems to work out. My copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas almost got drenched with beer and the case thrown across the room cry
Is it supposed to be hard to get or something? I've had it on dvd for years, and I live in new zealand. Would of thought if I could buy it here, it must be even more easier to buy in America. Guess not. ?
Xchrist_its_christianX
Is it supposed to be hard to get or something? I've had it on dvd for years, and I live in new zealand. Would of thought if I could buy it here, it must be even more easier to buy in America. Guess not. ?

I live in little town, Canada so a lot of stuff gets missed here but... I'm thinking unless it was a bootleg with terrible subs it was difficult to get here. I'd have to order it off the internet or get it in a sketchy shop in a bigger city.
Sometimes places like New zealand and Europe will get things before the americas do. But when kill bill came out, that little japanese actress got famous and interest in her past would bring you to find her in Battle Royale.

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Ive got both BR movies and they are the top of my favourite list in all time fav movies. Though while it is a fav I do gotta agree with a lot of BR fans by saying that yes the first one I felt was slightly better.

And as for the hunger games? Dont even get me started. While the story line was ill grudgenly admit iorigonal the main games of the series is clearly a rip off of battle Royal. I heard once the author of the hunger games had said she never had heard of battle Royal and it was just a coincodence when she wrote this. Well if you believe that I got some prime swampland in the middle of an active minefield in a warzone to sell ya
I think both Hunger Games and Battle Royale are pretty fantastic for their own merits, and they put emphasis and focus on radically different things.

Hunger Games puts more focus on the gladiator qualities of the program, and how sickening it is that all of this is being played off for other people’s entertainment.

Battle Royale holds more attention over the fact that all of the contestants know each other, and are classmates who have known each other all their lives, and how horrifyingly easy it is for them to violently turn against each other. While in the Hunger Games, almost all of the contestants are strangers, and some have been training for years.

The cheap English translation of some versions of Battle Royale clumsily try to add in a subplot that it’s being filmed and broadcasted on television, but that is never shown or referenced to, obviously, and only distracts the reader with a needless detail shoved in. Hunger Games plays off of the reality show idea properly and the impact it would have within the game and the viewers, such as making the gamemakers manipulate the arena to try and get certain contestants who are more popular with the audience and sponsors to win.

Another thing I noticed is how in Hunger Games no one uses guns in the games, unlike in Battle Royale, where holycrapeveryonehasanuziexcepttheprotagonist. This seems fair, considering the hunger games is supposed to take place over the course of several weeks, and anyone who wants a weapon needs to fight for it. In Battle Royale, they have a very specific time limit of three days, so giving them a bunch of nasty guns helps speed things up faster.

But if you want to see a movie that genuinely and undeniably is a cheap, formulaic, watered down knock off of Battle Royale, go check out the movie “The Condemned”, which came out a few years back. Now THAT was a terrible rip-off.
Bluevirtue
I think both Hunger Games and Battle Royale are pretty fantastic for their own merits, and they put emphasis and focus on radically different things.

Hunger Games puts more focus on the gladiator qualities of the program, and how sickening it is that all of this is being played off for other people’s entertainment.

Battle Royale holds more attention over the fact that all of the contestants know each other, and are classmates who have known each other all their lives, and how horrifyingly easy it is for them to violently turn against each other. While in the Hunger Games, almost all of the contestants are strangers, and some have been training for years.

The cheap English translation of some versions of Battle Royale clumsily try to add in a subplot that it’s being filmed and broadcasted on television, but that is never shown or referenced to, obviously, and only distracts the reader with a needless detail shoved in. Hunger Games plays off of the reality show idea properly and the impact it would have within the game and the viewers, such as making the gamemakers manipulate the arena to try and get certain contestants who are more popular with the audience and sponsors to win.

Another thing I noticed is how in Hunger Games no one uses guns in the games, unlike in Battle Royale, where holycrapeveryonehasanuziexcepttheprotagonist. This seems fair, considering the hunger games is supposed to take place over the course of several weeks, and anyone who wants a weapon needs to fight for it. In Battle Royale, they have a very specific time limit of three days, so giving them a bunch of nasty guns helps speed things up faster.

But if you want to see a movie that genuinely and undeniably is a cheap, formulaic, watered down knock off of Battle Royale, go check out the movie “The Condemned”, which came out a few years back. Now THAT was a terrible rip-off.

8/ well I still don't have much interest in Hunger games. All the images I see are of a bored main protagonist and then a bored looking peeta. The adverts weren't much better either, might rent it, I have a feeling my bro will buy it when it's released on bluray.

The manga has a tv subplot too. They show bits of the kids' childhoods of catching blips of the show, but not completely understanding it. Also, the movie starts with a tv reporter announcing the winner of the game, kinda hinting that people actually follow the games.
Well, I personally was a little disappointed with the actors performances in The Hunger Games movie, a lot of character development and whathaveyou was trimmed down and cut out, but I do recommend the book.
The characters don't so much look/act bored, as much as they have to hide their emotions and act tough for the cameras. They survive off of sponsors watching the show. If they look weak, than no one will want to support them, and with cameras always watching, they can't afford to relax for a moment even when they are seemingly alone.

If you enjoyed Battle Royale, I do think you would enjoy at least the first hunger games book.

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
User Image
I'm reading the book right now because I figured I would read it before I saw the movie. Since people are talking about how similar it is to the Hunger Games, I thought I should mention my copy of the book came with a sticker that said "The original survival game!" as a kind of "******** you" to the Hunger Games.
Battle Royale is like the Hunger Games but with a more realistic-ish take on the whole totalitarian government thing.

User Image
The Kenzasaur
User Image
I'm reading the book right now because I figured I would read it before I saw the movie. Since people are talking about how similar it is to the Hunger Games, I thought I should mention my copy of the book came with a sticker that said "The original survival game!" as a kind of "******** you" to the Hunger Games.
Battle Royale is like the Hunger Games but with a more realistic-ish take on the whole totalitarian government thing.

User Image

Of course it's "the original survivor game" if you don't count the story "The most dangerous game" which was written a couple decades prior. :U
Bluevirtue
Well, I personally was a little disappointed with the actors performances in The Hunger Games movie, a lot of character development and whathaveyou was trimmed down and cut out, but I do recommend the book.
The characters don't so much look/act bored, as much as they have to hide their emotions and act tough for the cameras. They survive off of sponsors watching the show. If they look weak, than no one will want to support them, and with cameras always watching, they can't afford to relax for a moment even when they are seemingly alone.

If you enjoyed Battle Royale, I do think you would enjoy at least the first hunger games book.

Well I guess... my bro was telling me they fake emotionlessness... but that doesn't look good in movies. Well, not to me. Unless you have some that have equally ridiculous expressions, to make it very obvious. They should fake cockiness or rage to hide their true emotions and get the folks at home to fall for their energy. Then, it'd be a bit more exciting of a trailer and the characters can seem fun and interesting.

Hmmm, maybe I'll get the book a try. Seems like an easy read.

Lonely Phantom

10,100 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
In truth, even after reading the books and seeing the movie i have to say i prefer BR to the Hunger Games. I felt the Hunger games was somewhat neutered as a movie. Maybe it was because they had to cut quite a bit to get a PG-13 Rateing, a thing i feel is ridiculous if they are adapting this from a book. Maybe i just Like BR more because i saw that first, years before i even touched the book to The Hunger Games. but the more i think ab out the two the more tiny diffrences i see between them that pushes me to likeing BR over HG.

as a side note, PEETA is a very silly thing to name a boy. just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff