Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm real surprised. Am I the only one excited about this rerelease/first release of this movie?
I mean, I've never seen a hard copy before in my life, it was always just someone's burned copy. Was it even in america before recently?

Anyways, a japanese film about a dystopian future where the teens outnumber the adults. Teens have no respect for their elders and some even try to boycott school. Tired of this the adults have created the Battle Royale Act, wherein they'll deal with their teenage menace.
Battle Royale Act actually refers to a new type of game. A game where the high school players, after being sent to an isolated island, must kill eachother within three days or else die from the explosive collars that have suddenly appeared around their necks.

I wanna know if there are any other fans out there, and whether they believe its release has anything to do with Hunger Games which has a strikingly similar plot-line?
Also, who're your fave characters, deaths, versions (there's the movie, manga, and book). Or you can tell me if you've seen it or want to see it!
I'm into dark humour so I gotta say that my fave scene is the lighthouse one... You know, with the girls? If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. Makes me laugh, always! Just so ironic? Coincidental? It's just funny.

Also, was watching it yesterday and, I almost cried. It was the jogger girl and her coach. I've never felt sad watching the movie before so maybe it was because I watched it so soon after watching it the first time.
Its coming out in The States again? I got my official boxset (BR amd BRII with the bonus disc for BR) at Hot Topic a few years ago for $20....

Anyway, I like both movies, and am a part of the minority who actually likes the sequel (I'm the only person I've met that enjoys it). Nanahara becoming a terrorist was an interesting idea, as well as the buddy system, which made for some fun early deaths.

I've also heard how much of a KO The Hunger Games is of the movie, but I may still see it to compare. I doubt the collars will be in the movie, but I guess this can also be considered the obligatory Americanization of a popular Japanese movie Hollywood sure loves to put out..
genshiken
Its coming out in The States again? I got my official boxset (BR amd BRII with the bonus disc for BR) at Hot Topic a few years ago for $20....

Anyway, I like both movies, and am a part of the minority who actually likes the sequel (I'm the only person I've met that enjoys it). Nanahara becoming a terrorist was an interesting idea, as well as the buddy system, which made for some fun early deaths.

I've also heard how much of a KO The Hunger Games is of the movie, but I may still see it to compare. I doubt the collars will be in the movie, but I guess this can also be considered the obligatory Americanization of a popular Japanese movie Hollywood sure loves to put out..

woah boxset?! Well, I live in Canada, a smaller town part of canada, and I ain't seen none o' that.

Nanahara as a terrorist is a hilarious idea. I made the mistake of watching the movie with the dub on. XD nanahara's got the worst voice acting and for the most part he sounds real whiny and pathetic. But the rest of the voice acting was real good and seemed to be exactly as it was in japanese... but I couldn't tell ya for sure. Buddy system? I have a feeling I'd enjoy BR2.

Well apparently Hunger Games' writer didn't know about BR. But aside from sending a bunch of young people off alone to kill eachother I dunno much else about it. I'm pretty sure there isn't any collars though.
Yeah, it was a 3 disc set in a blue box, looks nice, but its the Korean region free edition, so it has some Wonky subtitles at parts early on. And no Dub, which doesn't bother me because I don't listen to foreign material in any language other than the native language of the product. Other than that, BRII came out in 2001 I think, originally banned because it was deemed "Anti-American Propaganda" or some other rubbish, because Nanahara mentioned something about a major country that sounded like the USA forcing pressure on japan to take care of the situation soon before they bomb the f**k out of the island. Or something. Its been a few years since I watched either movie.

It was a pretty neat twist to me since he's technically in his late teens, making him almost an adult, yet fighting adults, the reason BRII takes place is instead of a deserted isalnd, the selected class is going in to fight and kill Nanahara, but we don't learn that until they do.

It also changed majorly about half way through since Kinji Fukasaku died due to bone cancer half way through filming. His son, Kenta, took over and finished the movie in his honor. Its the change in tone that most people seem to hate. I liked it, so I don't care what they say.
genshiken
Yeah, it was a 3 disc set in a blue box, looks nice, but its the Korean region free edition, so it has some Wonky subtitles at parts early on. And no Dub, which doesn't bother me because I don't listen to foreign material in any language other than the native language of the product. Other than that, BRII came out in 2001 I think, originally banned because it was deemed "Anti-American Propaganda" or some other rubbish, because Nanahara mentioned something about a major country that sounded like the USA forcing pressure on japan to take care of the situation soon before they bomb the f**k out of the island. Or something. Its been a few years since I watched either movie.

It was a pretty neat twist to me since he's technically in his late teens, making him almost an adult, yet fighting adults, the reason BRII takes place is instead of a deserted isalnd, the selected class is going in to fight and kill Nanahara, but we don't learn that until they do.

It also changed majorly about half way through since Kinji Fukasaku died due to bone cancer half way through filming. His son, Kenta, took over and finished the movie in his honor. Its the change in tone that most people seem to hate. I liked it, so I don't care what they say.

Well I don't tend to understand the native language of subtitled films so if I'm given the option I'll try dub. I've been pleasantly surprised a few times, and also if they movie has action, I can't see said action if I have to read the subs. Don't think I'll watch the dub of BR again though. Doesn't put me in the mindset I need with Nanahara's bland voice.
ahhhh it's one of THOSE boxsets. I didn't think Hot Topic would sell those.
Oh USA stop it. It ain't all about you. Wonder if it's banned in Canada too? Hmm...
Ugh, maybe I can get it off ebay or something? I don't have any other region players though :/
That's too bad about the change. You can't help it though, when the director (?) passes, if you wanna keep making the movie, it's gonna seem different after. Especially if it isn't a similar director at the wheel. I mean they're related but they might have different techniques and whatnot.
foxxy_demon
I'm into dark humour so I gotta say that my fave scene is the lighthouse one... You know, with the girls? If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. Makes me laugh, always! Just so ironic? Coincidental? It's just funny.

Also, was watching it yesterday and, I almost cried. It was the jogger girl and her coach. I've never felt sad watching the movie before so maybe it was because I watched it so soon after watching it the first time.

Hello 4laugh I watched Battle Royale yesterday night! I love movies that when you start watching them, they just suck you in and you forget about everything else. It made me wince because I could feel pain in my body wherever the teen dying would get stabbed/shot/etc. xD My bf laughed at me afterward, he said, "You were quite jumpy when that kid got stabbed in the d**k and you don't even have a d**k." I was like, "Well, it was unexpected and I had sympathy for him." xD

Overall, goosebumps galore and even a few laughs. I love movies that make you laugh and then you're like, "This is horrible to laugh at." And then you laugh more.

And the dude that plays Kazuo Kiriyama is freakin' sexy being a demented murderer.
Scelere

Hello 4laugh I watched Battle Royale yesterday night! I love movies that when you start watching them, they just suck you in and you forget about everything else. It made me wince because I could feel pain in my body wherever the teen dying would get stabbed/shot/etc. xD My bf laughed at me afterward, he said, "You were quite jumpy when that kid got stabbed in the d**k and you don't even have a d**k." I was like, "Well, it was unexpected and I had sympathy for him." xD

Overall, goosebumps galore and even a few laughs. I love movies that make you laugh and then you're like, "This is horrible to laugh at." And then you laugh more.

And the dude that plays Kazuo Kiriyama is freakin' sexy being a demented murderer.

haha yeah, I've watched the movie a few times so I don't wince anymore, but the d**k stabbing is still super brutal. It is a little unexpected yeah, But the knife doesn't seem long or sharp enough to just slit his throat... and he threatened to rape her so... hahaha

yeah a lot of dark comedies are just like that. It's one of those "tragedy" situations. It's supposed to be sad and horrible but it's funny because of how over the top it is.

Desirable Sex Symbol

Yes I'm a HUGE fan!
Yeah, I guess it would have to be due to THG...which I'm not really a fan of...not at all best not to get into that ehehe.
Character: Mitsuko
Death: Can't remember his name, but the one who Chigusa kills.
Version: Book
Of House Targaryen
Yes I'm a HUGE fan!
Yeah, I guess it would have to be due to THG...which I'm not really a fan of...not at all best not to get into that ehehe.

hahaha well with every new fad there are always those who don't really get it. I"m gonna wait to rent THG or until my bro inevitably buys it on dvd or bluray.

and hahaha mitsuko was definitely one of the more interesting parts of the movie. I haven't finished the book, but I imagine she is there too. And is that death as violent in the book as it is in the movie? hahaha

Desirable Sex Symbol

foxxy_demon
Of House Targaryen
Yes I'm a HUGE fan!

hahaha well with every new fad there are always those who don't really get it. I"m gonna wait to rent THG or until my bro inevitably buys it on dvd or bluray.

and hahaha mitsuko was definitely one of the more interesting parts of the movie. I haven't finished the book, but I imagine she is there too. And is that death as violent in the book as it is in the movie? hahaha

Ah, from memory (it's been a while since I've read it) not really. They focus more on flashbacks she has about why she is the person she is today.

10,250 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Friendly 100
I love Battle Royale, the book and both movies. I didn't really care for the manga. I think it was finally released domestically because of the Hunger Games. Who cares though? It is finally released.
I love the lighthouse scene. I pictured it better in my head than how it was portrayed in the movie, but that happens. Also I liked the part with the girl who thought she was the warrior princess was killed. Ugh, I need to reread. I forgot her name.
__Lost-n-expulsion__
I love Battle Royale, the book and both movies. I didn't really care for the manga. I think it was finally released domestically because of the Hunger Games. Who cares though? It is finally released.
I love the lighthouse scene. I pictured it better in my head than how it was portrayed in the movie, but that happens. Also I liked the part with the girl who thought she was the warrior princess was killed. Ugh, I need to reread. I forgot her name.

yeah that's how I feel. XD possible Hunger games inspiration or not, I loves me some Battle Royale.

I gotta read the book too. I have it, I'm just bad with books. I'm a lil... I guess A.D.D.? If something doesn't hypnotize me for it's complete duration(movies can be exempt of this) I won't read/play it. So the book suffered this, and I stopped reading about a third of the way in.

Well, in the movie the only warrior princess was more of a psycho princess. I.E. Mitsuko.

I've started reading the manga... it's a bit weird. I don't know if I like it or not.

Vicious Sex Symbol

19,900 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
Love it. surprised
Not sure if I really, really want to see the Hunger Games. My friends and relatives came up to me, "OMG HUNGER GAMES SOOOOO GOOOOD." (Although I did say I'll watch the Hunger Games since I'm the type of a person to watch first then judge later. I just don't have that much of an interest for the Hunger Games, that's all.)
Me: HEARD OF BATTLE ROYALE?
Them: No? Wtf is that?
Me: emotion_c8 ................... emotion_8c

Magnetic Conversationalist

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items