Welcome to Gaia! ::

--------------------------

I have been away from Indie for quite sometime, and apon my return I noticed that there isn't a Guideline for Making Sucessful Threads here. Apon further introspection, I thought it might be helpful to some of you to have one.

...Please feel free to drop me a line, post your sugesstions, comments, or just say Hi...

~Yours

-------------
-------------
General Suggestions

User Image Have Fun! If you're excited about sharing a new band with everyone, let us know!

User Image Link, Link, Link (and I don't mean as in Zelda...) We love links. Tell us where to find their site, or articles about them. We want Links to where we can hear this band. I'm not suggesting breaking any Piracy Laws here, but be creative...

User Image Use pictures, we all want to see what your Band looks like, and everyone can agree they make a thread about Music more appealing.

User Image Tell us why you like said Band, what draws them to you? Is it their style, genre, or becuase they're totally original? Inquiring minds want to know.

User Image Interact; don't let your thread die ~> although I cannot stress this too much: please do not bump in any Music forum. ---> Find a way to keep your thread going. Adding updates such as when new albums might be coming out, a tour, or other such information. Post recent pictures of live shows, ect. Try things like posting new song links or lineup changes, whatever works...

User Image

What is an example of an Indie Record label?

maggie iratus

I've found this helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_record_labels

What Not To Do...

User Image ...Make repeat topics. Take a few minutes to look in The Indie Directory, The Main Music Directory, or just plain look a few pages back. The time you take will make you loved and the World will be a happier place.

User Image ...Make frivolous topics. Sometimes there are places for random threads created in fun, but starting a topic called, "Yo! Check out this band!11" doesn't tend to work. You might grab our attention for a minute, but in the end we're usually left with an empty feeling in the pit of our stomachs and loosing faith in the intelligence of the World. Lesson? To create a successful thread, start with an on-topic and informative title.

User Image ...Start a hate thread. Yes, making fun of silly teen bands and certain types of pop music can be fun and gratifying for all, but this is not the place for it.

User Image

General Indie Forum Etiquette.

User Image Report Misplaced threads (to any of these people) ~ don't post in them, it just makes it worse.

User Image No Bumping, here or in any Music Forum: <3

User Image We want to have threads here that promote discussion~not advertisement, spam or the like. It doesn't belong here, that's what MySpace is for.

User Image Be nice! We all have different tastes, and opinions-but Gaia is PG-13...try to keep that in mind.

User Image

...::More To Come::...
.:Suggestions Welcome:.

Newbie Gaian

5,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Market Browser 100
ninja

listen to the soulbuttar.

she knows what she's talking about.
Well, i got one suggestion for people...Don't make threads about main stream bands. If they're mainstream, they are not indie....

Examples of mainstream bands
Atreyu
Hawthorne Heights
Fall Out Boy
My Chemical Romance

Those are bands I hear people calling indie bands, if they get on a station like FUSE or MTV, they aren't indie.

Smitten Kitten

PheonyxXx
Well, i got one suggestion for people...Don't make threads about main stream bands. If they're mainstream, they are not indie....

Examples of mainstream bands
Atreyu
Hawthorne Heights
Fall Out Boy
My Chemical Romance

Those are bands I hear people calling indie bands, if they get on a station like FUSE or MTV, they aren't indie.

Please refer to the description of this forum. "Discuss Independently released music or musical acts not yet signed to a major label." Indie is short for independent. It has everything to do with the status of a record label and nothing to do with how popular a band is or if it is played in MTV. Hawthorne Heights and Atreyu are both on Victory Records. Independent. My Chemical Romance is on Warner Brother, so yes, they are mainstream.
Once a band makes it to MTV, they are mainstream. When I hear indy, I hear underground. Like those people that maybe 1 out of every 50 people have hear of.

Smitten Kitten

PheonyxXx
Once a band makes it to MTV, they are mainstream. When I hear indy, I hear underground. Like those people that maybe 1 out of every 50 people have hear of.

Independent and underground are very different things. confused
In a nutshell, they aren't that much different.

Smitten Kitten

PheonyxXx
In a nutshell, they aren't that much different.

Arguing about this is pointless. For the sake of this forum, artists that are on an independent label are allowed to be discussed here and artists who are on mainstream labels are not. Their popularity doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff