Welcome to Gaia! ::

Normally I'd just ask if they know what last.fm is and let them see my account or I'd just say everything (which we all know is obnoxious) or I'd just list a few popular types of music Indie, Metal, Rock, Ska, Jazz, Hip-Hop, etc... whatever it looks like they might listen to.

I just hate it when I have no idea what to say, because I don't really have a ton of favourite bands, yet alone ones everyone knows (Dance Gavin Dance, The Beatles, The Cure, Santana, The Smiths, Miles Davis, Thursday, Circa Survive, Cap'n Jazz, or whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment)

Does anyone know a good way to describe more obscure artists to those who aren't/likely wouldn't be knowledgeable of more obscure artists? (not to say all of the bands I listed are obscure haha) With more oddball groups though like Swans, Animal Collective, and Tame Impala I sometimes have trouble explaining/showing them to people though. Hell, even Zappa can be strange at times. I try to go for what's most 'seemingly' accessible and try to go from there. Does anyone have a particular method for showing/getting friends or people into your kind of music? OR even just explaining what kind of music it is.

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Put your Zune onto shuffle and sit back with your arms folded, smugly grinning.
Zune or pandora always helps
I describe my taste in music as "delicate flower tunes" or "you know those bands playing at Warped Tour? Not those."

I usually just say what I don't like, genre wise, because it's easier and sounds less pretentious. I hate saying "I listen to obscure/indie music"
feminist brose.

that's what i call my taste in music.

Dapper Bloodsucker

3,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Idk how to describe mine, I would say Indie Rock, or 80's, but idk I love Kill Hannah, Magic Wands, old school like The Cure, Pixies and Echo and the Bunneymen, they all have that kind of sound but idk how to explain it.
http://soundcloud.com/t-ko-1
3nodding

Shadowy Entrepreneur

6,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Experimental.

Girl-Crazy Raider

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Brandisher 100

I just sy, "I like music that is good."
i just say pop, indie, electronic, and dance
I would personally say that my tastes in music are bizarre.
Well, I mean, I'm not too picky, but yet I'm not this whole, "Haha, bring me any type of music and I'll like it!" person. It's weird, but I am a big fan of rock, but I love jazz and classical...and I also love techno.
redface

Friendly Genius

'Anything that sounds good to my ears' is how I explain my musical tastes to others.
        XX "What do you listen to?"
        "You won't like it."

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Dead Like Latin
        "You won't like it."

So what do you listen to, because I bet you're pompously wrong.
Metronome
Dead Like Latin
        "You won't like it."

So what do you listen to, because I bet you're pompously wrong.

XX I'm not even kidding. I publicly acknowledge that my music taste is pretty sad. Nothing but European electronica acts (iamamiwhoami, Gazelle Twin, Fever Ray/The Knife, Nedry, You Love Her Coz She's Dead, and the like), Witch House (White Ring, oOoOO, Salem, Balam Acab), a few other acts such as Grimes, Crystal Castles, Golden Filter, Phaeleh, and so on, and then way too many Funeral Doom bands that I obsessed over in high school when I was a tryhard homothug m/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff