Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
!!!! WARNING:NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH!!!! SO READ NO FURTHER IF YOU ARE REALLY SQUEEMISH!!!

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A nurse at a Los Angeles hospital took a photo of a woman who gouged out her own eyes with pencils, and the patient sued the hospital and its administrators after the picture went viral on the Internet, her attorney said on Wednesday.

The plaintiff, who is not named in the lawsuit, was treated at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center in 2012 after she tried to commit suicide by jamming the pencils through her eyes at another facility and was rushed to the hospital, her lawyer, Douglas Johnson, said.

The injury left the woman blind, according to the lawsuit, filed on Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court.

The as-yet unidentified nurse took the photograph of the patient with the "intact pencils sticking out of her eyes," then shared the unauthorized picture with another person, who passed the image to Joshua Shivers, the lawsuit said.

Shivers, in turn, used his mother's computer to post the image to a "shock" website, the suit stated, adding that the photo has since been viewed more than 192,000 times. The specific website to which it was posted was not disclosed.

"Everybody knows that as soon as someone gets their hands on something like this, it goes viral and the harm is done," said Douglas, who specializes in privacy cases.

Douglas said that before filing the lawsuit against the medical center and Los Angeles County officials who administer the hospital, he asked them to have the picture taken down from the Web by exercising a copyright they hold over photo, since it was taken in their facility.

County spokesman David Sommers said officials are investigating the allegations in the lawsuit, and he declined to comment further.

The lawsuit also names as defendants Joshua Shivers and his mother, Linda. They could not be reached for comment.

The woman who blinded herself has since received psychiatric help, learned to read Braille and "gotten her life back on track" by enrolling in college, but she has fallen into depression since the photo spread online, the lawsuit stated.

The legal action, which accuses the defendants of infliction of emotional distress, unauthorized disclosure of medical information and other complaints, does not specify how much the woman is seeking in damages. Source

The nurse did a major HIPAA violation and the woman deserves to win whatever amount she's seeking.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I find it funny how people do something BATSHIT insane, will have their lives RUINED because they did something CRAZY, and then alluvasudden they get millions of dollars because of it. Sure, the nurse violated the patient's privacy or whatevs, but had the patient done the job better and died, then nothing bad would be happening to the nurse.

Patient kills themselves in a weird way, it makes the news. If a patient TRIES to kill themselves in a strange way and FAILS, they get millions of dollars. emotion_facepalm

Karisa_Wolfgang's Princess

Adorable Sweetheart

Kaiser Khorosho
I find it funny how people do something BATSHIT insane, will have their lives RUINED because they did something CRAZY, and then alluvasudden they get millions of dollars because of it. Sure, the nurse violated the patient's privacy or whatevs, but had the patient done the job better and died, then nothing bad would be happening to the nurse.

Patient kills themselves in a weird way, it makes the news. If a patient TRIES to kill themselves in a strange way and FAILS, they get millions of dollars. emotion_facepalm
Would you want a photo of your failed attempted suicide, which had occurred at a very low point of your life become a sideshow on the internet where it becomes entertainment fodder of millions who want to see that sort of gore? The nurse had no right posting the documented image of the patient in an unauthorized format that allows people who weren't supposed to have access to it can share. She deserves complete privacy where only those she trusts can know what had happened.

Honestly, I hope they throw the book at the nurse and she is never allowed to work in the medical field. This is completely unethical and is a major breach of conduct.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sleep Isabella
Kaiser Khorosho

Would you want a photo of your failed attempted suicide, which had occurred at a very low point of your life become a sideshow on the internet where it becomes entertainment fodder of millions who want to see that sort of gore? The nurse had no right posting the documented image of the patient in an unauthorized format that allows people who weren't supposed to have access to it can share. She deserves complete privacy where only those she trusts can know what had happened.

Honestly, I hope they throw the book at the nurse and she is never allowed to work in the medical field. This is completely unethical and is a major breach of conduct.

Yeah, documenting for medical / insurance purposes - sure.
Taking personal pics and sharing them with your friends and ultimately the world - not okay.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Kaiser Khorosho

It wasn't because they tried to commit suicide. It was because the nurse felt the need to take a picture and share it. Health care workers usually have sign an agreement that they understand what HIPAA is and that they won't violate a patients privacy. This nurse knew the consequences of her action and now the hospital she works for will pay the price.

And no - even if the patient had died their family could sue for violation of HIPAA.

Wintry Dragon

Cannot unread...

Dedicated Student

Kaiser Khorosho

The matter may make news if they commit suicide. However the pictures of thier bodies if ever are released. I remember seeing one article where someone was suing someone for taking pictures at the scene of the crime and posting them to a website. So yeah kind of no double standard there. They broke laws. They should answer to it. Besides they always ask for a ridiculous amount of money,but rarely ever get that. It's just a tacit. Scare them with the big money so that they'll settle for something reasonable.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I don't know why she's bitching. It's not like she'll ever see the picture. emotion_awesome Maybe she's reflecting in hindsight? emotion_awesome

Found the picture. It's an eye opener. emotion_awesome ((because she wasn't as hardcore as I thought she would have been and she pussed out by closing her eyes before doing it))

In case anyone's not catching it I have no respect for this t**t. Who cares if she turned her life around? She was the idiot who tried to kill herself with ******** pencils. I'd say the poking fixed her brain a bit, but this article proves the contrary.

Virtuous Cleric

3,675 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
as earlier stated I hate how people do stupid s**t and cry foul about the fall-out. if your going to commit suicide do it on your on terms...don't do it where it involves other people.

Magical Genius

Alexander J Luthor
I don't know why she's bitching. It's not like she'll ever see the picture. emotion_awesome Maybe she's reflecting in hindsight? emotion_awesome
Exactly what I thought!
'Well it's not like she'll ever have to see it on the internet

Tipsy Smoker

kameron553
as earlier stated I hate how people do stupid s**t and cry foul about the fall-out. if your going to commit suicide do it on your on terms...don't do it where it involves other people.
It always involves other people. neutral

Tipsy Smoker

Alexander J Luthor

Found the picture. It's an eye opener. emotion_awesome ((because she wasn't as hardcore as I thought she would have been and she pussed out by closing her eyes before doing it))

In case anyone's not catching it I have no respect for this t**t. Who cares if she turned her life around? She was the idiot who tried to kill herself with ******** pencils. I'd say the poking fixed her brain a bit, but this article proves the contrary.
You're part of the problem. :/ People get tired of being stigmatized for things like depression and suicide.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
I'm completely disgusted by the number of people saying it's her fault for attempting suicide. Mental illness has physiological roots and is NOT a choice. If you get an upset stomach and vomit, nobody will say you CHOSE to vomit. That would be absurd. But if your brain gets sick, and you commit suicide, it's a choice? I don't understand that twisted line of thought. This nurse knowingly broke a law that anyone with even a cursory knowledge of the medical field knows. The patient had every reason to expect that this would be kept confidential. To say otherwise is idiotic.

Magical Genius

Chahklet
You're part of the problem. :/ People get tired of being stigmatized for things like depression and suicide.
I don't think it's a problem to point out when something is ironic. It is totally shitty what that nurse did, and I support any legal action against her, but the story itself still is almost amusing in it's blatant disregard of the actual victim. She obviously didn't see them herself, so how could the lawsuit come about unless someone told her of the photos. Are you really doing more harm then good by telling someone in an already fragile state about an internet frenzy concerning their condition?

Tipsy Smoker

Alura19
Chahklet
I don't think it's a problem to point out when something is ironic. It is totally shitty what that nurse did, and I support any legal action against her, but the story itself still is almost amusing in it's blatant disregard of the actual victim. She obviously didn't see them herself, so how could the lawsuit come about unless someone told her of the photos. Are you really doing more harm then good by telling someone in an already fragile state about an internet frenzy concerning their condition?
I think I'd like to be informed too. Regardless, it's her choice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff