Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Hunter

Quote:
A terminally ill woman who battled her deeply religious parents in court over her right to die has had a change of heart.

Grace SungEun Lee, 28, who is battling brain cancer, signed a health care proxy Saturday designating her father, Rev. Manho Lee, as her primary health care decision-maker, Lee's court-appointed attorney, David Smith, told ABC station WABC-TV in New York.

Lee said she made the decision "to make peace with my God."

The reversal comes one day after the New York Court of Appeals ruled Lee's parents cannot override her wishes.

The former financial manager is paralyzed and hooked up to a feeding tube and ventilator at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, N.Y.

Rev. Manho Lee, who is a pastor in Flushing, N.Y., said he was concerned his daughter would go to hell if she allowed doctors to remove life support.

"When someone sets a date and time to die, that is suicide. And suicide is a sin," Lee said Friday at a news conference.

The family has long campaigned to keep the young woman on life support.

A Facebook page called "Save Grace SungEun Lee" has more than 500 supporters, who have been urged to write a letter to North Shore Hospital.

"Let them know no one should be influencing Grace's decision. Not the hospital, not the family. Only Grace has the right to think clearly about her life without any influence such as medicines," said a statement posted on the Facebook page.

In a video posted Thursday on Youtube, a man stroking Lee's head asks her if she will sign over the medical proxy to her father.

She appears to mouth, "Yes."

"When do you want to leave to a nursing home?" the man asks.

"Now," Lee appears to reply.

North Shore University Hospital is honoring Lee's request to not comment on her medical condition.

Source

Wealthy Fatcat

4,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
DOH! ironically, her "time to die" has probably come and gone already. It really is a sin to force someone to live "beyond their time". How long do they intend to allow her to suffer that much pain? There will come a time when they won't have a choice about it when she finally does die. Selfish!

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
The nursing home won't be much better.

Fashionable Hunter

xdivision_whitey
The nursing home won't be much better.

I know, right?

My mom was telling me the other day all the terrible things Asian parents did to their disabled kids. Nursing homes are depressing as ********.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
I thought I posted something but I guess I didn't because I went too detailed on it.

List of things I require to know:

1. Who recorded this?

2. When was this recorded?

3. Who was touching her?

4. Can she talk ( tubes rob you of that usually)?

5. Was her attorney present?

...etc... etc... etc...

7,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
This reeks of manipulation and I feel sorry for the woman.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
If she paralyzed from the neck down how did she sign over this?

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Booty Tickle

Someone stroked her head and moved it about.

Someone asked questions.

People decided she agreed to things.

That was my first thought, then I read it,.. I compiled a list of valid questions like if she can speak ( some tubes prevent you from speech) and if her attorney was present.

I honestly doubt she went through months of fighting to get those tubes removed only to go " Oh, nevermind biggrin "

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Sailor Tin Nyanko
Booty Tickle

Someone stroked her head and moved it about.

Someone asked questions.

People decided she agreed to things.

That was my first thought, then I read it,.. I compiled a list of valid questions like if she can speak ( some tubes prevent you from speech) and if her attorney was present.

I honestly doubt she went through months of fighting to get those tubes removed only to go " Oh, nevermind biggrin "
I know right. But her parents are real-estate agents and they sent her on a guilt trip

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff