Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Selfies are all the rage, but one young woman has had the tenacity to take one of herself every single day for more than six years. However, the reason she's been so consistent is not one you'd typically expect.

Rebecca Brown, 21, of Essex, England, has taken a picture of herself every day - from age 14 to 21 - putting them together in a video montage all to bravely share her battle with depression and her struggle with trichotillomania disorder, the compulsion to pull out one's own hair.

She says the video project, which has received more than 5.5 million views on YouTube since it was originally posted on June 8, has immensely helped her deal with overcoming the disorder.

"It's been pretty scary for me in the last year because I've seen myself come out of that darkness," Brown explained on "GMA LIVE!" today. "Because when I was completely consumed in depression all I could see was black and white. Everything around me was dark, and I honestly didn't believe there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Whereas now, I've seen myself get better. I've seen my smile come back. I feel like there is a light."

Brown says there was no particular trigger that caused her to have trichotillomania disorder.

"For me, I've always been depressed but there's been no pinpoint trauma. It just reached a head," she explained.

The hair-pulling disorder has even affected celebrities like Katy Perry, Charlize Theron and Justin Timberlake.

At certain points in the video you can see where Brown resorted to shaving her head, wearing wigs to help deal with the battle, but now she's doing great and hopes her project will help spread awareness of the disease.

i just pull (not twiz) my eyebrows.

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Trichotillomania is super common. Too bad not many people know about it.

Wintry Dragon

Pretty good. That's a nasty condition to have.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff