Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Giver

Quote:
woman who police said was seen touching and riding a manatee in Fort De Soto Park in Pinellas, Fla., over the weekend turned herself in to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, Tampa Bay Times reported.

Ana Gloria Garcia Gutierrez, 52, told police Tuesday that she wasn't aware what she did was against the law, the report said.
Witnesses gave authorities her description and photos of her riding the sea cow, which is a second-degree misdemeanor. She was seen riding the manatee at 1 p.m. Sunday in the water north of Gulf Pier, authorities said.

Gutierrez was not arrested or charged, but the charges were referred to the state attorney's office, according to the Times.
The Florida Manatee Sanctuary Acts states that: "It is unlawful for any person at any time, by any means, or in any manner intentionally or negligently to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb or attempt to molest, harass, or disturb any manatee."

Authorities say the penalty for the woman could be up to 60 days in jail and a possible fine of $500.
Authorities don't believe any manatees were injured.
"It's a wild animal. It's not something to be ridden," Susan Butler, a manatee expert with the U.S. Geological Survey in Gainesville, told the Times. "I can't say that as a biologist I would ever, ever condone that, or say that (the manatee) wanted them to do that."

Article
I feel bad for the poor thing...she doesn't exactly look like the lightest person.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
"The scientist went on to say that because we have a long tradition of capturing and breeding horses and cattle and forcing them to accept being ridden that is okay because surely those animals 'want' to be ridden. Likewise for Ostrich races."

I used to have a horse and enjoy riding them. I'm just being silly about how when it is an accepted animal it is okay and when it is not one usually being ridden we are some how interpreting whether the animal wanted to be ridden. lol

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Little Mew Berry
they act like she beat the s**t out of it. manatee's are fugly anyway.
lol oh my god, I was just wondering how anyone could molest and manatee it's ******** huge, I was also wondering how they expected her to know it was against the law

Lady_DeVill's Husband

Dangerous Survivor

9,975 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Booty Tickle
Little Mew Berry
they act like she beat the s**t out of it. manatee's are fugly anyway.
lol oh my god, I was just wondering how anyone could molest and manatee it's ******** huge, I was also wondering how they expected her to know it was against the law
I fell over laughing with a mental image of this "woman" molesting a manatee, kinda wish the thing would of at least bit her.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff