Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
azulmagia
Wait, people with, um, mental devepmental issues of this level are allowed to MARRY?!

With Down's there's a spectrum of how much people are affected, some (like this particular pair) are quite self-sufficient, and pretty normal.

Both of them were in love, so they got married.

*shrug*
So sad.. At least they were happy. I hope Paul is doing okay.
Wait, people with, um, mental devepmental issues of this level are allowed to MARRY?!

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
That's a very sweet story.
This couple is just like everyone else, so there is no point in in forcing them not to get married simply to reduce the risk of heart failure.
She led a happy life alongside her husband and that's all that counts.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
FirstBornTriplet
xdivision_whitey
45 good for someone with health issues especially downs. Average life expectancy is said to be 49.
I thought that they could live to a normal healthy age.

Sadly, no. Their condition comes with a lot of complications.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
xdivision_whitey
45 good for someone with health issues especially downs. Average life expectancy is said to be 49.
I thought that they could live to a normal healthy age.

Dedicated Student

This is soooo adorable.

Wintry Dragon

If she lived a good life, she did a good job.

Ferocious Browser

I am a little confused, why are they first downs couple to get married? Are the licenses not normally granted to them?

Also, I can understand the recommendation against getting pregnant, but why the recommendation against getting married?

If he is capable of holding a job, and she of running a house, they are capable of being careful enough to avoid children I would think.
The feels are strong in this one. cry
Sad, but I'm glad they were happy together for the short time they had with one another. I hope the husband is doing alright. sad

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
xdivision_whitey

I didn't know that about Downes but I guess I should not be surprised.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
At least they were happy.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
Metro

Quote:
A woman who, along with her partner, formed Britain’s first married couple with Down’s syndrome has died 11 years after walking down the aisle.

Andrea Annear passed away this week, aged 45.

She defied the odds to marry childhood sweetheart Paul in 2004 after meeting in a home for kids with learning difficulties.

Doctors and other officials had previously warned against getting hitched and pregnant as it would put too much strain on Andrea’s heart.

But, despite the risks, she walked the aisle in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire.

Andrea told the Daily Mail in 2006: ‘I love Paul this much. Now he is my husband I am so proud.

‘I give him a kiss in the morning when he leaves for work, and I shout after him “I love you, Paul” and he says “I love you, Andrea”, and I watch him as he walks all the way down the road.

‘I know that some people say we should not have got married, but why not? We love each other very much and we look after each other.’

Andrea died from heart failure.

They celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary last September.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff