Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

Although 20th Century Fox currently owns the live-action rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four, Marvel Entertainment continues to include these characters in their everyday goings-on in the comics. We may never see the X-Men or Fantastic Four team up with The Avengers on the big screen, but they can still hang out with each other on the printed page. However, now Marvel has decided to stick in to Fox by taking drastic action within their comic books, specifically towards mutants.

Notable X-Men writer Chris Claremont was on the Nerdist Podcast several months back as part of a conversation with other comic book writers Len Wein, Marc Bernardin and Heath Corson, but a particular section of the conversation went unnoticed until Bleeding Cool recently listened to the episode and dug it up. According to Claremont, if you’re currently a writer on one of Marvel’s X-Men books, you’re going to be dealing with major constraints with your writing. Here is Bleeding Cool’s transcription of the conversation (they unfortunately didn’t actually include information regarding who is saying what, but we can presume that Claremont’s quotes are the first and last):

"I have to say, quite honestly as I understand it, now the X department is forbidden to create new characters.

(SHOCK RESPONSE)

"Well… who owns them?

"All because all new characters become the film property of Fox."

"There will be no X-Men merchandising for the foreseeable future because, why promote Fox material?"

We have heard rumors before of Marvel taking indirect action against Fox - such as canceling their Fantastic Four book next year so that it wouldn’t promote The Fantastic Four in any way - but this is the first time that one of Marvel’s creatives has acknowledged direct action that Marvel is taking. If it’s true, then it looks like Marvel is making a sincere effort to undermine Fox’s movies by hindering creative efforts with the X-books. Granted, people are still picking up these books to read the adventures of Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, and the other iconic mutants, but it’s not hard to see how not being able to create new mutant characters might severely hamper a writer’s ability to produce original stories.

This idea that Marvel is being this aggressive sticking it to Fox always sounded extreme. Sure, Marvel can’t pull the X-Men into the MCU shenanigans, but those X-books are a big part of Marvel’s extensive library. They may not like that Fox is making X-Men movies, but with a large readership invested in the X-books, one would think that Marvel would set aside their spite and make sure they’re producing quality and creatively unhindered stories. Evidently that may not be the case. It looks like the X-Men movies are going to have to make due with the characters they already have...which, frankly, is quite a few.

The article also points out that if Marvel Comics creates a new character under the recently launched Marvel NOW "style event," then that character is attributed solely to Marvel NOW. So if you’re writing a Marvel NOW story, maybe you should try and include as many new mutant characters in there as possible, because it sure doesn’t sound like you will get that opportunity writing an X-book.

Source

Seriously wish they'd set their differences aside to get some crossovers going on.

Bashful Businesswoman

honestly, I don't think a xmen and avengers crossover would actually work. At least not in the hands it's in now.
All it would be is 90% wolverine, and 10% whatever mutants they had lying around. Lets be honest here.
This Is NoMercy
honestly, I don't think a xmen and avengers crossover would actually work. At least not in the hands it's in now.
All it would be is 90% wolverine, and 10% whatever mutants they had lying around. Lets be honest here.
yeah that would just junk up the whole movie universe they have rn. I think they could redo the fantastic 4 or bring spider man into it pretty smoothly though.

Tipsy Smoker

They have enough ******** characters to last a lifetime and forever.
With the movies being put out by Fox it's no wonder Marvel is trying to undermine them. The movies are HORRIBLE.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
I'm not even finishing the article.

There are probably 10 times as many mutants now in the comics then there was when Fox first got rights for the movies.

So,.. no point in believing any of this.

There are characters that have been created in the past few years. Even with the studio wars for the movies going on. So I already see plenty of contradictions.

Unless this is a New Disney rule.

Even then, there have been new characters since Disney gained Marvel.

So I don't feel like reading this entire article when I already see plenty of evidence it isn't true.

Also, contrary to what is being suggested, Fox does not have rights to all of the Mutants and does not gain rights of any future mutants created. Some Marvel characters, even the mutants, multiple studios actually have rights to.

This won't change that many cross overs are not possible.

But Marvel being unable to make more mutants is a lie.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Mei tsuki7
With the movies being put out by Fox it's no wonder Marvel is trying to undermine them. The movies are HORRIBLE.
I agree. They put too much focus on Wolverine. I wish Marvel had been able to get the movie rights for the X-Men back from Fox, if only because then Wolverine might have at least been able to get a cameo, or maybe even a minor role, in the first Captain America movie. Oh well. I do think Marvel should try to get the rights to the Fantastic Four films back though only because they might be the only ones who can do any justice for them.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Chahklet
I agree there is about a hundred on this list-a movie couldn't easily include all of them without sacrificing dialogue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X-Men_members EDIT: I counted the number in the bottom section that includes villains-it is close to 150

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
fox really should give the rights back to the true owners of these characters, rather then playing monopoly with em
User Image
copyright gets in the way of everything...

Tipsy Smoker

Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
I agree. They put too much focus on Wolverine. I wish Marvel had been able to get the movie rights for the X-Men back from Fox, if only because then Wolverine might have at least been able to get a cameo, or maybe even a minor role, in the first Captain America movie. Oh well. I do think Marvel should try to get the rights to the Fantastic Four films back though only because they might be the only ones who can do any justice for them.
I think they put the focus on Wolverine because Hugh Jackman played the hell out of that character. I don't think anyone will ever be able to do Wolverine that much justice.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Chahklet
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
I think they put the focus on Wolverine because Hugh Jackman played the hell out of that character. I don't think anyone will ever be able to do Wolverine that much justice.
No, there could be no one else that could portray America's favorite Canadian than Hugh Jackman. At least not out of all the actors in Hollywood right now.

Tipsy Smoker

Honey of the South
Chahklet
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
No, there could be no one else that could portray America's favorite Canadian than Hugh Jackman. At least not out of all the actors in Hollywood right now.
All the other characters weren't as memorable. Need a better storm. Need a better rogue. Although, Cyclops was alright. He didn't get enough screen time. D:

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
This Is NoMercy
True Wolverine is a simple character to do an action flick with so movie makers are prone to overuse him. It is unfortunate.

Demonic Kitten

the reason wolverine gets so much is because he is the one character that they did somewhat right. fox needs to realize they have killed the back stories and powers of their characters and give them back so they can be done right. they included my fave in the movies (rogue) and they butchered her character. give them back so they can be done right

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Chahklet

That and they use Wolverine all the time anyway.xP

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces