Welcome to Gaia! ::

... so I see no point in doing this. I mean, we need to reduce child soldiers before abolishing them. A generalised child soldiers campaign is impossible, hence why they spent over 60% of the donations to making a video.
Have you interacted with teenagers on Facebook for the last two weeks? They're just about annoying about the Kony 2012 thing than a hamster on crack singing songs by LMFAO through a megaphone. And I know that was a stupid and immature metaphor but it's true.

One kid literally told me that he did not know that there were charities for children in small, starving countries before Kony 2012. Um, yeah. Clearly, someone doesn't spend a whole lot of time actually giving a s**t before it became trendy to do so. The laziness and apathy inherent in the views of the situation in first world countries is appalling. It's like the whole SOPA thing- no one really gave a crap until everyone was talking about it on Facebook. In the end, raising awareness doesn't do s**t unless you are actually taking steps to stop whatever your raising awareness against in the first place.

And, if you care about my views on it, Invisible Children is untrustworthy in the first place, first and foremost because they want the US to take up military occupation in Uganda. Yeah, like we need to be shipping people and money off into another small country for unnecessary amounts of time.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Picture if you will September 11th. Two planes crash into the world trade center but not a single tear was dropped. The united states turned a blind eye as if it never happened as I'd it didn't exist. For the next twenty six years the united states search for the man responsible, an angry man named Osama. The strange thing is that Americans seemed to have no idea who this man was nor understood the significance of 911. They couldn't even point out the world trade center on a map. Now almost 26 years later Osama is no longer a threat, he is out of power and the united states government is on his trail yet something strange is happening. All the outrage and the anger that was missing the moment it happened seems to appear in people all at once. People suddenly care as if the towers had just. Fallen. No one understood what had happened the only clue was a single 30 minute film. A film that was written, filmed and directed in..... The Twilight Zone.

User Image
Lord madcowyup
Have you interacted with teenagers on Facebook for the last two weeks? They're just about annoying about the Kony 2012 thing than a hamster on crack singing songs by LMFAO through a megaphone. And I know that was a stupid and immature metaphor but it's true.

Nice metaphor. I actually like that metaphor. I mean, I would not want to be tortured by a hamster singing "Sexy and I Know It" ad nauseum and doing that horrible rhythm they played that repeats over and over again until the end of time. And in just three hours of supporting Kony 2012, I came across with the poster that says "Watching a 30 minute video does not make you an activist", and I thought, "My God, what had I DONE TO MYSELF?" and started protesting against those who think they're "activists" by just shouting KONY 2012, and became skeptical about KONY 2012 as a whole.

Quote:
One kid literally told me that he did not know that there were charities for children in small, starving countries before Kony 2012. Um, yeah. Clearly, someone doesn't spend a whole lot of time actually giving a s**t before it became trendy to do so. The laziness and apathy inherent in the views of the situation in first world countries is appalling. It's like the whole SOPA thing- no one really gave a crap until everyone was talking about it on Facebook. In the end, raising awareness doesn't do s**t unless you are actually taking steps to stop whatever your raising awareness against in the first place.

During my RE class they told me that there are charities for kids in small, starving countries. They're called "Save the Children", "Caritas Internationalis", "World Vision" (to keep up with the whole Christian theme) and "UNICEF".

Now, I got you a question. How many people give a ******** about those? Zero. Nada. Nothing.

People don't give a s**t about until everyone starts talking about it. Look what happened to me when they started shouting about SOPA. Do people give a s**t about internet censorship in other nations before the whole SOPA s**t happened? NO.

And next time, I rather stick with legitimate charities- REAL ones.

Quote:
And, if you care about my views on it, Invisible Children is untrustworthy in the first place, first and foremost because they want the US to take up military occupation in Uganda. Yeah, like we need to be shipping people and money off into another small country for unnecessary amounts of time.

Exactly. They care more about the salaries and money than the goddamn actual cause. I read that they got a 2 out of 5 score on Charity Navigator.
Rykela
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Oh, and did you know that the director of the Kony video was caught jacking off?

Ruthless Bunny

8,350 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Spreading it does not make you an activitist right?

so whats wrong with sharing it without being an activitist?

Atleast were doing something good.

Romantic Lover

12,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Swaggums
Can someone fill me in on this nonsense?
Kony 2012 is a movie that this guy made about a man called Joseph Kony. Kony is from Uganda who has been kidnapping young adults and children to become part of his army. The boys and men become soldiers, and the women and girls become prostitutes.

The problem is, though, nobody really knows where he is, and a lot of people suspect that he is not even in Uganda. others also believe that America is actually going in there because six months prior to the video being released, Uganda had struck oil.

For me, personally, I do not believe that it is right for a person to kidnap children for whatever reason. But at the same time, I do not understand why people are acting as if this is brand new. These sorts of things have been going on in Africa for well over 3o years. There are even cases of men actually raping infant girls because they believe that young virgins will cure HIV and AIDS.

Africa in general needs a lot of help economically. I just don't think the Kony 2012 is the best way to actually do that.

Noob

Gio Gio Star
Swaggums
Can someone fill me in on this nonsense?
Kony 2012 is a movie that this guy made about a man called Joseph Kony. Kony is from Uganda who has been kidnapping young adults and children to become part of his army. The boys and men become soldiers, and the women and girls become prostitutes.

The problem is, though, nobody really knows where he is, and a lot of people suspect that he is not even in Uganda. others also believe that America is actually going in there because six months prior to the video being released, Uganda had struck oil.

For me, personally, I do not believe that it is right for a person to kidnap children for whatever reason. But at the same time, I do not understand why people are acting as if this is brand new. These sorts of things have been going on in Africa for well over 3o years. There are even cases of men actually raping infant girls because they believe that young virgins will cure HIV and AIDS.

Africa in general needs a lot of help economically. I just don't think the Kony 2012 is the best way to actually do that.
It's where we started, and it's likely where the end will....begin.
Fixing roads>KONY 2012.

I don't give a damn.

Golden Gekko

I wish people would just shut up about it all together. For like 3 days it was on everyone's minds, but now nobody (in my area) cares anymore, whether they were for or against it. For 3 days everyone who was for it, became a "social activist", posting political views and all kinds of stupid s**t on facebook when they had no idea what they were saying. -_- It's annoying.

Invisible Children, in my opinion, is bullshit. They just want our money. Did you see what happened to the guy who made the video? He lost his mind and ran around in public in his underwear, vandalizing cars, screaming, masturbating in front of people and slamming his fists on the ground. I'm not giving someone like that my money.

IRL Cupcake

22,675 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Anas Norazim

No. You think you're doing something good. Someone is telling you it's good, and you're eating that up. And it's great that you care, but you're not listening to the people who are telling you you're not, people who live and work in Uganda, and who do not want or appreciate this kind of help.

Educate yourself before you post/tweet/reblog videos that do nothing but encourage well-meaning folks like yourself to do the wrong thing, and support charities that operate in Central Africa. They're far more aware of the political climate than some random in La Jolla.

So, do good. Continue to do good. Just make sure what you're doing is actually good.

[sn: interesting how they found oil in Uganda shortly before the video was made...]

Wheezing Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Kaenai
Anas Norazim

No. You think you're doing something good. Someone is telling you it's good, and you're eating that up. And it's great that you care, but you're not listening to the people who are telling you you're not, people who live and work in Uganda, and who do not want or appreciate this kind of help.

Educate yourself before you post/tweet/reblog videos that do nothing but encourage well-meaning folks like yourself to do the wrong thing, and support charities that operate in Central Africa. They're far more aware of the political climate than some random in La Jolla.

So, do good. Continue to do good. Just make sure what you're doing is actually good.

[sn: interesting how they found oil in Uganda shortly before the video was made...]

The Nigerian-American author Teju Cole made one point, and these are his words (not my own):
"The white savior supports brutal policies in the morning, founds charities in the afternoon, and receives awards in the evening".

He pointed out the hypocrisy of the world: pretending that you have a heart when you are heartless towards others.

2,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The guy who produced it was caught running around naked bashing his fist on the ground and was arrested I guess that's how legit it was that the guy who produced it went crazy

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff