Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Link

French fashion magazine features white teen model painted in blackface.

White teen model with blackface \ Photo: Numéro magazine

The fashion world has been known to push the boundaries of what's socially acceptable and without a doubt, stir controversy.

In the March 2013 issue of Numéro magazine, 16-year-old white model Ondria Hardin appears drenched in a very deep bronze for a fashion spread called "African Queen," reports Jezebel.com.

More from Simply Chic: Are Thin Models Going Out of Style?

Hello! This would have been the perfect opportunity to hire a black model, as there are fewer job opportunities for non-white models. Eighty-two percent of the models at New York Fashion Week this season were white, cites Jezebel.

More than 150 people have commented on author Laura Beck's article, including this one from "fashionlady"

"Can I just say as a young black model (I'm a girl) having worked my a** for the past 3 years, this hurts my soul. I'm happy for Ondria as a person but the amount of times I have been told 'oh sorry we already have a black girl that looks like you' or 'most of our clients dont hire black girls, sorry' and then I see THIS, it pisses me off! There are so many beauitful black models out there working TWICE as hard for barely half the recognition and the only time they give a s**t about us is when they need our dark skin for some 'ethnic' photo shoot and in this case with Ondria, they couldn't even be bothered. Can I see a black girl do SCANDANAVIAN PRINCESS please? Hmmm?"

More from Living: How to look slimmer -- instantly!

This is not the first incident a magazine has caused a cultural stir.

In 2009, Vogue was accused of racism for using photos of white model, Lara Stone, with her face and body darkened in brown make-up.

Do you think it's okay to use a white teen model in an "African Queen" spread?

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Some could say its art, but I personally don't have an opinion for or against this type of work. Maybe if they did it to purposely offend people I would be a little irked, but I just don't see it as a big deal. I don't even keep up with this fashion s**t, anyways.
maybe the white girl was the point of the shoot.

i know, some people may not get it, but artistically it makes sense.

still, wtf do we wanna see a white girl for?
I don't think black women are able to pull the Thousand years of Meth "chic" as easily. I'd urge every woman with remaining reasoning faculties to steer clear of the fashion industry altogether, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. In fact, you can't have any cake because you're on a diet.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Pseudo-Onkelos
I thought we all originated from Africa. I don't see the problem.
I wouldn't either if she was just white, but they gave her tons of bronzer to make her appear black. Why not just use a black model? Seeing as black models have a harder time in the modeling industry.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
logan the god of candy

I don't think i'd be a problem if they didn't use black face.
Booty Tickle
logan the god of candy

but that's the idea. i could give you have a dozen theories as to why they would choose a model to black face, but it does make plenty of sense. it's art, as you know,

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
logan the god of candy
Booty Tickle
logan the god of candy

but that's the idea. i could give you have a dozen theories as to why they would choose a model to black face, but it does make plenty of sense. it's art, as you know,
True but eeehhhh

Brave Lionheart

29,150 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
logan the god of candy
Booty Tickle
logan the god of candy

But black face is, you know, ******** racist.
Agent-Sarah
logan the god of candy
Booty Tickle
logan the god of candy

But black face is, you know, ******** racist.

racist? to present ones self as a different race is not inherently prejudice. when done so to project an inferiority, yes, but to hire an attractive woman to pose in black face... i could... okay, i'm going to.

why a white girl in black face.

1. somebody else posted above. we all come from africa. non-racist artistic expression.

2. counter to black women commonly straightening their hair or whitening their skin. this white girl is beautiful despite her skin color. if they didn't tell u she is white, would u know?

3. not in spite of color but in rejection of what we are. i.e., instead of skin color being the point, it's particularly irrelevant.

between 2 and 3, it wouldn't be obvious to the onlooker, but from the artists standpoint it's actually a very different expression.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The fashion advertising industry is always doing over the top stuff to try to get noticed.
This isn't about whether a black girl would be better for the job. It's about getting notices and getting people to talk about them. In that sense a white model with black face is the better choice.
It's not about oppressing the black person. It's about creating buzz. The fact that some folks seem to care suggests it matters. (at least to some people).

Brave Lionheart

29,150 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
David2074
The fashion advertising industry is always doing over the top stuff to try to get noticed.
This isn't about whether a black girl would be better for the job. It's about getting notices and getting people to talk about them. In that sense a white model with black face is the better choice.
It's not about oppressing the black person. It's about creating buzz. The fact that some folks seem to care suggests it matters. (at least to some people).

True...

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
David2074

^This^ Could not have said it better xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces