Welcome to Gaia! ::

i wish i could be there too. sad
A lot of interesting replies on this thread. lol.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Blood Valkyrie
Well, of course the parents didn't offer apologies or explanations. They aren't required to give them. At least, that's how my parents were. I got to go to one birthday party in my entire life, and only because I begged my grandma to take me. I've also never had an actual birthday party for myself.

Parents aren't required to take their kids to your parties. They aren't even required to give an explanation. Even if they lie and say they'll bring their kids and then don't bring them (which IS a douchebag move), there's nothing you can do. There is no law broken. There are no damages to sue for. There is no obligation for a parent to do anything for you when you throw a party. Your party is your business. If guests come, awesome! If not, well, their loss. More cake for you.

I understand this is a child, a sensitive child too, but this is a reality of life. Sometimes, people just don't show up for your party. Sometimes, nobody shows up.

I am sort of happy that the kid did get some guests, but feel that things were a little overboard. Even the cops and firemen showed up. Tax dollars at work making a kid feel better about his birthday party? And, the mother got strangers to show up? Did she give out her home address on Facebook? Why are you letting strangers into your home to be around your son? That's just weird.

I admit, I pitied the child. But ... seriously ... ? This seems a bit much for me.

Maybe I'm just an insensitive b***h. I don't know.

i agree with you. and i also bet if that was a normal not autistic kid, everyone would be making fun of him and telling him to suck it up. seriously . they all think they such special little snowflakes.

Premium Garbage

16,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Never Give Up 35
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
Ehh. Birthdays don't mean much later in life autistic or not. rolleyes

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Fireweed_honey
Blood Valkyrie
Well, of course the parents didn't offer apologies or explanations. They aren't required to give them. At least, that's how my parents were. I got to go to one birthday party in my entire life, and only because I begged my grandma to take me. I've also never had an actual birthday party for myself.

Parents aren't required to take their kids to your parties. They aren't even required to give an explanation. Even if they lie and say they'll bring their kids and then don't bring them (which IS a douchebag move), there's nothing you can do. There is no law broken. There are no damages to sue for. There is no obligation for a parent to do anything for you when you throw a party. Your party is your business. If guests come, awesome! If not, well, their loss. More cake for you.

I understand this is a child, a sensitive child too, but this is a reality of life. Sometimes, people just don't show up for your party. Sometimes, nobody shows up.

I am sort of happy that the kid did get some guests, but feel that things were a little overboard. Even the cops and firemen showed up. Tax dollars at work making a kid feel better about his birthday party? And, the mother got strangers to show up? Did she give out her home address on Facebook? Why are you letting strangers into your home to be around your son? That's just weird.

I admit, I pitied the child. But ... seriously ... ? This seems a bit much for me.

I don't think you're an insensitive b***h. Seems a bit much to me, too.

To be honest, I am very wary of any of these "social justice/rewards for the needy" stories. The fact that, out of apparently 16 kids, not a single one showed up makes me suspicious. In reading other articles for this story, I found comments (but not an actual story, so I cannot confirm this as fact) that people heard or read that the teacher forgot to pass the invites out. The kid handed them to the teacher, who for some reason, forgot to hand them out to the class. Again, cannot confirm this, and it's full of the same holes as the mother's story.

I have also heard, and have not confirmed it myself, that the mother has set up some kind of present system so strangers from around the world can send her kid gifts. That, to me, is a red flag.

As for no one coming because the kid is autistic, I'm still positive that at least one of the 16 kids would show up. For starters, had I been a kid and invited, I'd show up. If nothing more than for cake and ice cream. I've been to a few birthday parties for autistic children because my friends have autistic kids. These parties are always well received by other kids. None of the kids are from schools, though. All of them are friends. When I was a kid, I don't remember ever inviting kids from school, only from my neighborhood.

Can anyone tell me if that's what's done now? Inviting the whole class instead of handing invites outside of school to friends?

Also, if it turns out that, for any reason, the invites didn't get to the parents in time, does it seem fair that this mother is pretty much shaming them over the internet? After all, in every article I've read, people in the comments are readying the pitchforks and torches on these parents. Would finding out that there was a mix-up change anyone's mind on what happened?

It's not a current thing. When I was in elementary school in the late 90s (started first grade in 96), whenever someone in my class was going to have a birthday party, they would send out handmade invitations to the entire class. After third grade, though, they stopped doing that and only sent invites to those they were actually friends with.

Magical Bunny

14,350 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
That was so nice that all these ppl showed up 4 him but the parents who's kids were invited should be ashamed.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Faith in humanity (temporarily) restored.

Pure-hearted Werewolf

22,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Millionaire 200
My cousin is autistic and I would be devastated if he had a birthday and no one showed. I'm glad he was able to have a fun party! emotion_kirakira

Hilarious Lunatic

Blood Valkyrie

I feel the same way.

Romantic Otaku

13,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Insane WereWolf
My cousin is autistic and I would be devastated if he had a birthday and no one showed. I'm glad he was able to have a fun party! emotion_kirakira

Uh finally someone who agrees with me. I was very dishearten when reading the most replies. Honestly, people are not even considering what a hard life a autistic person goes through. I know from personal experience. I have seen my autistic relative getting wired looks or simply getting ignored and discluded from social conversation. Can you just imagine what a pain the kid felt? no one showed at his birthday. Just even thinking bout it makes my eye tears up. Those who has no close related autistic person, will never understand.
If I were that boy I'd be viciously snubbing the entire class all year for that

Newbie Fatcat

8,025 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
Bro shouldve invited me yo hotdog and cake sounds good happy bday too him dont need no sucker as a friend
IIYuuki_ChanII
Just even thinking bout it makes my eye tears up. Those who has no close related autistic person, will never understand.
Your last sentence is a very bigoted statement. It implies that all autistic people do no wrong and that their unfortunate circumstances are always someone else's fault. No one here knows this family or has all the details. Having a bleeding heart in this situation is silly; being reasonably skeptical isn't.

Shaming the parents of his classmates is silly; asking for more info and criticizing the waste of tax dollars isn't.

Maybe some of you should stop self projecting. You don't know if his mother's struggle is your own.

Romantic Otaku

13,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Pikachew Tobacco
IIYuuki_ChanII
Just even thinking bout it makes my eye tears up. Those who has no close related autistic person, will never understand.
Your last sentence is a very bigoted statement. It implies that all autistic people do no wrong and that their unfortunate circumstances are always someone else's fault. No one here knows this family or has all the details. Having a bleeding heart in this situation is silly; being reasonably skeptical isn't.

Shaming the parents of his classmates is silly; asking for more info and criticizing the waste of tax dollars isn't.

Maybe some of you should stop self projecting. You don't know if his mother's struggle is your own.

It's called relating. Yes, I have first hand experience with a autistic person and I know their ******** pain. So yes, they were wrong on not going to some autistic kid's party.
IIYuuki_ChanII
Pikachew Tobacco
IIYuuki_ChanII

It's called relating. Yes, I have first hand experience with a autistic person and I know their ******** pain. So yes, they were wrong on not going to some autistic kid's party.
What you're trying to relate to is incomplete. You don't know what that mother is going through. You don't know how her son functions. All you know is what it's like to work with your autistic person. The key word here is "your." Everyone is different. There are various types of autism.

What you're doing is assuming all people who raise autistic children have it rough. You believe her son deserves the world even to the point where you think he was entitled to a successful party and everyone who didn't show is wrong somehow. You're too sensitive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff