Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Explorer

It's the end of the world as we know it....
And I feel fine...

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
iHippie X
It's the end of the world as we know it....
And I feel fine...

All I can say is that we are at least making changes.
Now all we need is China to do the same.

Celestial Guardian

60,975 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Worthy Challenger 25
  • Budding Witch 250
Whelp... I've said it before and I'll say it again...I just hope that it'll be a fast one and not slow.
Fast won't be as painful after all.

However I think there would be a couple of other things that'll happen before this gets worse enough to destroy us all.... sweatdrop

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I wonder what would happen if you tossed a road flare down that hole? smile

But seriously, I wonder if they could harvest the methane for power production.
We have some methane cogeneration electricity plants around here. What I don't know is if 'using' (burning) the methane also reduces its impact on the atmosphere of if the combustion products are as bad as the methane itself.
They're not explaining the "********" part too well. What exactly will happen?

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
klebold6

Unclear bad stuff that can be averted (100% TooLegit) if we change our entire industrial and commercial infrastructure and go totally green.

I think.

Honestly I didn't read the articles.
hsdawdawda
klebold6

If we're LUCKY, complete collapse of industrial civilization at minimum.

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
humans have and will continue to kill more humans than these global natural disaster events will ever do
azulmagia
klebold6

If we're LUCKY, complete collapse of industrial civilization at minimum.
Which is the part you're not explaining.

Lavish Romantic

azulmagia
Aunchie_Sana
--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

Lets go! We had Y2K, we had Bird Flu, we had 2012, we had Nibiru, we have Ebola, can one of these "doomsday" events actually do what they're supposed to do and KILL US?
THIS.

In all seriousness and no offense meant, but are you and Sky Kid Tai a couple of ********' morons? Are you not aware of what methane can do?
I'm aware, and I'll start worrying about it when mama Earth starts opening up and passing gas, and not a moment sooner. I mean, what else can I do about it?

If we're meant to go as a species, then the way I see it, the universe is just making room for something newer and better. And I obviously won't be around to regret that we weren't immortal but I'll be happy for now knowing that life will continue in other forms.

Finally, I know I'm not the only one who is sick to death of these "end of the world" scenarios, and after a while they just lose their impact. If it's going to happen then it might as well just hurry up and happen. Because as long as exactly nothing keeps happening, people are going to forever be changing their stories and dreaming up new ways for us all to die and I'm already bored with it. At least if something did actually happen we would have the opportunity to deal with it and possibly overcome, but until then, it's all speculation and nobody's going to act based on that alone.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
--Sky Kid Tai--
washu_2004
--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

Lets go! We had Y2K, we had Bird Flu, we had 2012, we had Nibiru, we have Ebola, can one of these "doomsday" events actually do what they're supposed to do and KILL US?

It won't be doomsday but life as you know it will be irrevocably changed. And the people who will suffer the most will be the children and grandchildren of people alive today.

Coastal flooding and changes in weather patterns will have an enormous impact on industry and agriculture, Most of the world's major cities are near coastlines so there will be billions of people who will be made homeless as they go under , and the industries they work in will be flooded removing productivity.

And changing weather patterns have the potential to make the dustbowl of the 1930's look like a Sunday picnic, large tracts of formerly productive land will be rendered useless or marginal which will reduce the world's food supply and result in famines.

And all this will turn the geopolitical landscape on it's head as countries which once had powerhouse economies are suddenly bankrupted when they lose their industries and the ability to feed themselves. And this will result in wars as old scores are settled.

So yes, We are not doomed, but we are royally f*ed.

Any time there's any sort of climate argument its like a broken record. I swear, I remember my elementary school teachers telling me this same exact s**t was gonna happen by the year 2000, and again by my middle school teachers but it would be 2005, then again by my high school teachers but it would be in 2010.

Hell, my parents were taught the same old song and dance back in the 60s and 70s, so where the hell is our climate apocalypce? Or did it not get the memo that we're the ones who supposedly started it?
Difference is back then they were wailing about global cooling and insisted that we'd soon have glaciers nears the tropics because of blah blah blah.
Ratttking
--Sky Kid Tai--
washu_2004
--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

It won't be doomsday but life as you know it will be irrevocably changed. And the people who will suffer the most will be the children and grandchildren of people alive today.

Coastal flooding and changes in weather patterns will have an enormous impact on industry and agriculture, Most of the world's major cities are near coastlines so there will be billions of people who will be made homeless as they go under , and the industries they work in will be flooded removing productivity.

And changing weather patterns have the potential to make the dustbowl of the 1930's look like a Sunday picnic, large tracts of formerly productive land will be rendered useless or marginal which will reduce the world's food supply and result in famines.

And all this will turn the geopolitical landscape on it's head as countries which once had powerhouse economies are suddenly bankrupted when they lose their industries and the ability to feed themselves. And this will result in wars as old scores are settled.

So yes, We are not doomed, but we are royally f*ed.

Any time there's any sort of climate argument its like a broken record. I swear, I remember my elementary school teachers telling me this same exact s**t was gonna happen by the year 2000, and again by my middle school teachers but it would be 2005, then again by my high school teachers but it would be in 2010.

Hell, my parents were taught the same old song and dance back in the 60s and 70s, so where the hell is our climate apocalypce? Or did it not get the memo that we're the ones who supposedly started it?
Difference is back then they were wailing about global cooling and insisted that we'd soon have glaciers nears the tropics because of blah blah blah.

Aunchie_Sana
azulmagia
Aunchie_Sana
--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

THIS.

In all seriousness and no offense meant, but are you and Sky Kid Tai a couple of ********' morons? Are you not aware of what methane can do?
I'm aware, and I'll start worrying about it when mama Earth starts opening up and passing gas, and not a moment sooner. I mean, what else can I do about it?

If we're meant to go as a species, then the way I see it, the universe is just making room for something newer and better. And I obviously won't be around to regret that we weren't immortal but I'll be happy for now knowing that life will continue in other forms.

Finally, I know I'm not the only one who is sick to death of these "end of the world" scenarios, and after a while they just lose their impact. If it's going to happen then it might as well just hurry up and happen. Because as long as exactly nothing keeps happening, people are going to forever be changing their stories and dreaming up new ways for us all to die and I'm already bored with it. At least if something did actually happen we would have the opportunity to deal with it and possibly overcome, but until then, it's all speculation and nobody's going to act based on that alone.

What I'm sick of is people like you using up my precious oxygen.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff