Welcome to Gaia! ::

--Sky Kid Tai--
azulmagia
Aunchie_Sana
--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

Lets go! We had Y2K, we had Bird Flu, we had 2012, we had Nibiru, we have Ebola, can one of these "doomsday" events actually do what they're supposed to do and KILL US?
THIS.

In all seriousness and no offense meant, but are you and Sky Kid Tai a couple of ********' morons? Are you not aware of what methane can do?

Dude, at this point I personally don't ******** care. If its gonna wreck us, its gonna wreck us. By the way these articles put it, the situation is already beyond our control, so why panic over it? If its gonna kill us, its gonna kill us.

I don't let fear dictate how I live my life.

This isn't about fear dictating how you live your life, it's about billions of other lives, including lots and lots of children, and there are philosophical implications as well.

So, basically you did confirm the status I accused you of.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
--Sky Kid Tai--
washu_2004
--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

Lets go! We had Y2K, we had Bird Flu, we had 2012, we had Nibiru, we have Ebola, can one of these "doomsday" events actually do what they're supposed to do and KILL US?

It won't be doomsday but life as you know it will be irrevocably changed. And the people who will suffer the most will be the children and grandchildren of people alive today.

Coastal flooding and changes in weather patterns will have an enormous impact on industry and agriculture, Most of the world's major cities are near coastlines so there will be billions of people who will be made homeless as they go under , and the industries they work in will be flooded removing productivity.

And changing weather patterns have the potential to make the dustbowl of the 1930's look like a Sunday picnic, large tracts of formerly productive land will be rendered useless or marginal which will reduce the world's food supply and result in famines.

And all this will turn the geopolitical landscape on it's head as countries which once had powerhouse economies are suddenly bankrupted when they lose their industries and the ability to feed themselves. And this will result in wars as old scores are settled.

So yes, We are not doomed, but we are royally f*ed.

Any time there's any sort of climate argument its like a broken record. I swear, I remember my elementary school teachers telling me this same exact s**t was gonna happen by the year 2000, and again by my middle school teachers but it would be 2005, then again by my high school teachers but it would be in 2010.

Hell, my parents were taught the same old song and dance back in the 60s and 70s, so where the hell is our climate apocalypce? Or did it not get the memo that we're the ones who supposedly started it?

It is a slow motion disaster , and we are only seeing the beginning of it.

Codger

At least China is getting smart and starting to ban coal use. Of course, they're still relying on gas, which isn't any better on the CO2 front, but at least it's lighter on the particulates and heavy metals. Conversely, they're installing solar faster than anyone else.

Can't say the same for the US, which is actively building more coal plants on the conceit that carbon capture is a viable solution to the fact coal produces poisons that kill everything.

Dangerous Capitalist

2,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
i guess you and i both are

in a pickle
Endrael
At least China is getting smart and starting to ban coal use. Of course, they're still relying on gas, which isn't any better on the CO2 front, but at least it's lighter on the particulates and heavy metals. Conversely, they're installing solar faster than anyone else.

Can't say the same for the US, which is actively building more coal plants on the conceit that carbon capture is a viable solution to the fact coal produces poisons that kill everything.

In the US, there has actually been the reverse. More natural gas plants are coming out over coal plants.
In case you're wondering what kind of action needs to be taken to save humanity and the planet, here's your answer:

Quote:
Deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions of 40 to 70 percent by mid-century will be needed to avert the worst of global warming that is already harming all continents, a draft U.N. report showed.

The 26-page draft, obtained by Reuters on Thursday, sums up three U.N. scientific reports published over the past year as a guide for almost 200 governments which are due to agree a deal to combat climate change at a summit in Paris in late 2015.

It says existing national pledges to restrict greenhouse gas emissions are insufficient to limit warming to 3.6 Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) above pre-industrial times, a U.N. ceiling set in 2010 to limit heatwaves, floods, storms and rising seas.

Average global surface temperatures have already risen by about 1.4 F since the Industrial Revolution, the draft said.

"Deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions to limit warming to 2 degrees C ... remain possible, yet will entail substantial technological, economic, institutional, and behavioral challenges," according to the draft due for publication in Copenhagen on Nov. 2 after rounds of editing.

(link)

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

Booooooo yeeeeeeeeeah! 8D

...I couldn't resist.><;

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
It's going to get interesting. Thats about all I got for ya.

Cliche_Sanity's Husband

Married Demigod

--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

scream BRING IT ON!!!

Kawaii Slayer

19,500 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Magical Girl 50
i need to stop reading these topics eek nightmares galore.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
You all do realize it is already too late right? Its like pushing a stone uphill now, the only thing we can actually hope for is status quo. Otherwise it is just going to be bad all around. There is no stopping this, at all. Even if we cut all greenhouse gas emissions tomorrow, its done.

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
TheIndianJohnSmith
--Sky Kid Tai--
User Image

scream BRING IT ON!!!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Faustine Liem
You all do realize it is already too late right? Its like pushing a stone uphill now, the only thing we can actually hope for is status quo. Otherwise it is just going to be bad all around. There is no stopping this, at all. Even if we cut all greenhouse gas emissions tomorrow, its done.

We can still technically do something, but only if we wake up to the gravity of the situation and start doing s**t NOW.

Wintry Dragon

Angry planet is angry.

We are going to get terraformed.

Hilarious Lunatic

TL;DR

Lol'd at "yawning"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers