Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
The best way to carry your lunch? Designer handbag made from waste food revealed

Recycling your waste has been taken to a new level by one London designer who has made a whole collection from waste food.

Hoyan Ip reuses leftovers, dubbed 'bio-trimmings' everything from handbags to belt buckles.

The collection is made by drying the food and coating it with a clear substance.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

'They are made out of wasted food, anything from leftover dinners to junk food,' 26 year old Ip told MailOnline.

'There was a lot of experimentation of foods to find out what worst best - but I'm keeping the exact recipes to myself.'

The food was selected and dried.

It was then crushed, and moulded into the required shape as it dried.

'There is no smell, but at the moment the products aren't machine washable,' said Ip.

She is currently developing a coating to protect them from the wet.

'I'm hoping to develop backing to sell them, but the main thing is to promote starvation and other global issues.

'Sustainability is a key theme for the fashion.'

'I propose to identify the relationship between food waste and waste produced from the fashion industry,' she wrote on her web site.

'It can be argued that nothing is new anymore in terms of fashion clothing as similar trends are re-interpreted season by season and it is worthwhile to preserve what we already have in our wardrobe ready for it to be a current trend again.'

As there are more and more designers emerging, there is very little we can do to dispose of the unwanted clothes ethically especially when you realize such sensitivity and though has gone into making a garment.

'The solution is to re-use the clothes, de-brand them, repair them and wear them.”

HOW IT WAS MADE

Hoyan tried dozens of different foods, and found those high in carbohydrates worked best.

Food was dried, the crushed.

It was then recombined with a binder, and placed into moulds of the required shape, where is was dried for a second time.

The designer is now developing a waterproof coating for the material.

source

Playful Guildswoman

Vampirate Kitsune
Quote:
The best way to carry your lunch? Designer handbag made from waste food revealed...

'I'm hoping to develop backing to sell them, but the main thing is to promote starvation and other global issues.

LMFAO, sorry, not sure whether to laugh or upchuck. Also, the article is a bit over-written, a bit difficult to read, and - omai - I do believe promoting starvaion was the reverse of what she intended. I hope.

rolleyes rofl xp

Sparkly Lunatic

Well, I believe one hundred percent in 'reduce, reuse and recycle' and am on board with this!
Buuuuttt...
I'm not sure I'd wear it...
This makes me queasy in ways recycling sewage water into drinkable water doesn't.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'd rather go naked than wear a dress that looks like vomit. Wait, I like being naked...um....I'd rather wear double-knit polyester flares and a polyester top with lapels out to the shoulders than wear anything that looks this horrid. At least the leisure suit is washable.

Feral Nymph

When I saw the title, I had assumed that they had, like, converted the food into fibers through some complicated process, then used that fiber in clothing. I was not expecting actual food made into....stuff.

I'll pass. emotion_puke

Blessed Exhibitionist

10,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Conversationalist 100
Not sure is serious, or just a horrid fashion statement.

Playful Guildswoman

Smudged_Makeup
Well, I believe one hundred percent in 'reduce, reuse and recycle' and am on board with this!
Buuuuttt...
I'm not sure I'd wear it...
This makes me queasy in ways recycling sewage water into drinkable water doesn't.

Recycled water is treated and filtered until it is basically only water, whereas this is organic matter that WILL degrad as usual if the coating fails....gah! Interesting as an art exhibit, not in my closet...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff