Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I thought I'd lighten things up just a little with a real but slightly less serious story.

Montana man wanted for escape captured in Nebraska after making mistaken 911 call

FAIRBURY, Neb. - A Montana man who walked away from a pre-release center in Butte has been captured in Nebraska after mistakenly calling 911.

Bobby Ray Wilson, 33, was arrested Sunday after the Jefferson County 911 Center received a 911 call from a cell phone at about 8:48 a.m.

KOLN reports that when the dispatcher answered the phone, they were unsuccessful at getting anyone to talk to them. When she called the phone back, a male subject answered the phone.

When the dispatcher identified herself as a law enforcement dispatcher, the caller hung up on her. The dispatcher was able to plot on a map where the call from. The call was plotted at 1016 I Street in Fairbury, Nebraska.

The Fairbury Police Department along with a Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy responded to the area of 1016 I Street and located a man walking around in the back yard of the residence. Officers made contact with the man to determine if there was a need for assistance.

The man stated that he was just making phone calls and he never called 911. Officers asked to see his cell phone and he complied.

Officers were unable to locate where he called 911, but they were able to see that the Jefferson County 911 Center did call him back.

The man stated that the 911 call was an accident. Officers asked the man for some identification, and he stated that it was in the residence and asked if he could go get it. Officers refused to let him enter the residence until they could identify anyone inside.

The man stated that his brother was inside along with another male. Officers went to the door and spoke with the other subjects and they stated that they were not related.

Officers went back outside and spoke with the man who hesitated when asked his name, then provided the of Robert Wilson. Dispatch informed the officers that the man possibly wanted out of Montana and North Carolina. Dispatch gave a description of the tattoos that the wanted subject has.

The tattoos that were given matched those on Wilson. Dispatch informed the offices to use extreme caution because he has a history of resisting arrest and escape.

Wilson was placed in handcuffs and detained until officers could get photo identification. Wilson was then transported to the Jefferson County Detention Facility where he was secured until further identification. Officers located a steak knife in his waistband.

While at the detention center, officers made contact with the Montana State Prison who was able to give us photo identification and further tattoo information to confirm that the arrested man was Robert "Bobby" Wilson.

Records showed Wilson was in Montana for escape. A Montana Department of Corrections spokeswoman on Monday confirmed Wilson's arrest in Nebraska and said Wilson was wanted after walking away from the pre-release center in Butte on Sept. 9.

Montana prison records show Wilson was convicted of burglary in Flathead County.

===========
My thoughts -
Okay, so the guy is a burglar which is serious but not the end of the world.
He is in a pre-release facility which suggests he was very close to getting released anyway --- but instead he decides to escape.

According to Montana Department of Corrections -
What is a prerelease center?

Prerelease centers are facilities in the communities designed to ease the transition of an offender from a correctional institution to living independently in the community while providing treatment, education, counseling, job training and placement, and transitional living opportunities.

Then he butt dials 911, then hangs up on them - and hangs up on them a second time when they call him back. It apparently does not occur to him they will track the location of his cell phone. Then when the cops do arrive he gives them lies, evasive and inaccurate answers.
"I didn't make the 911 call". "I did make the 911 call but it was an accident." "My name? You don't need my name. Um... John Smith, yeah, that's the ticket! John Smith!" lol

Not the sharpest tool in the shed.
If he wanted to stay a fugitive he should have immediately pulled the battery from that phone and put a lot of distance between him and the location the call was made from. (Plus probably ditched that phone for a different one)

Now he is likely going back to prison when in all probability he would likely be very close to being a free man if he had just stayed at the prerelease facility.