Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I will never complain about waiting in line ever again.

Earlier this month, stores across Japan offered "lucky bags" (福袋 or fukubukuro), which typically contain an array of items at a discounted price. In the past, you didn't know what the fukubukuro contained, but more recently, at many stores, you do.

The Apple Store lucky bags are priced at 35,000 yen (around US$300) and come in nifty backpacks with special commemorative tags. At Apple Stores, you don't know what the lucky bag will contain, but as Togetter points out, a limited number of them had a MacBook Air as well as Beats Wireless and Apple TV, among other goodies, making the lucky bag a very, very good deal.

Even if you don't get the laptop, the bag might have an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Mini 3 as the main prize. This year, the most "unlucky" of the bags come with an iPod Touch.

It's a gamble, but that's why these folks in Sapporo, Japan, lined up January 1 in front of the Apple Store.

The day started out optimistically enough, with a line of around eight people by about 4:30pm. The lucky bag was to go on sale January 2, so these folks planned to camp out over night.

Even if the temperature was -2 degrees celsius. Sapporo residents are certainly familiar to heavy snow and harsh winters, but still, sitting outside on the pavement in this weather is not for the faint of heart!

When it started snowing that evening, Apple Store employees did bring cans of hot corn soup to give out to those waiting in line.

And it kept snowing.

And snowing.

It got down to minus 8 degrees celsius.

A security guard kept an eye on those waiting in line, presumably making sure everyone was alive, er, doing okay.

As it got worse, some of those waiting joked on Twitter that waiting for the lucky bag might cost them their lives.

Thankfully, it didn't.

I hope each and every one of these individuals got a Macbook Air.

But they didn't. Here's the contents of one brave individual's lucky bag: an iPad Mini 3, among other items.

This isn't a first. It snowed last year in Sapporo, too, when people lined up at the Apple Store, too. And next year, it will probably snow again. See you in 2016!

The Apple Store Line That Could Kill You. Literally.

Astral Investigator

8,550 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Canny Agent 50
Holy crap, those people were serious about getting the lucky bags O.O

Charged Enthusiast

28,825 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Timely Contributor 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
Well even if it didn't cost them their lives....at least they were lucky enough to not lose a finger or 2...Otherwise how would they be able to run their ipod mini??? XDD

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
If they're seriously that ******** dumb - I think humanity will be just fine with them out of the gene pool. Holy s**t people are greedy and stupid.

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Cold Sandstorm
If they're seriously that ******** dumb - I think humanity will be just fine with them out of the gene pool. Holy s**t people are greedy and stupid.

Well, all of them survived so it's debatable how stupid they were considering they're all still in the gene pool and some of them look like they could have been husbands and wives so they may yet reproduce...

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
garyoak99
Cold Sandstorm

Well, all of them survived so it's debatable how stupid they were considering they're all still in the gene pool and some of them look like they could have been husbands and wives so they may yet reproduce...

They certainly are quite resilient and brave enough. I hear a lot of whining here in America. It snowed today where I live and I just shrug. I was warm enough as I went out to go grocery shopping cause I dress warm.

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
Damn. Damn. And more Damn.
As an Apple fanatic I do know tend to speak passionately about the products.

BUT NO WAY ON LIVING HELL WOULD A FREE MAC-ANYTHING GET ME TO FREEZE MY a** OFF.

I prefer not to be bed ridden for a few weeks over a freebie. Oh boy, Japan...

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
With my lack of luck, it would not be worth it. I would get the unlucky bag lol

I wish it would snow here. I love the snow. It just keeps raining instead and staying in the 40's stare damn you Washington state, I love you yet you disappoint me so often in the winter.

On a side note: I have never once waited in line for hours upon hours during Black Friday. I don't have the patience. But if I did, I would consider bringing a portable heater sweatdrop

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Nyadriel

They certainly are quite resilient and brave enough. I hear a lot of whining here in America. It snowed today where I live and I just shrug. I was warm enough as I went out to go grocery shopping cause I dress warm.

I just took a look at the temperatures that New York has and it's the same as Sapporo. So if you see any New Yorkers lining up outside an Apple store this week, then they would be braving similar temperatures outside too.

I've seen New Yorkers lining up outside the Apple Store back in September for the newest iPhone but I don't know how many of them would do it in January...

Dedicated Student

They must not have been too foolish if not a one of them lost their lives or limbs. They were very well prepared for the situation. It seems to me that they'd be more likely to survive in an emergency situation that any of the commenters on here.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
garyoak99
Nyadriel

I just took a look at the temperatures that New York has and it's the same as Sapporo. So if you see any New Yorkers lining up outside an Apple store this week, then they would be braving similar temperatures outside too.

I've seen New Yorkers lining up outside the Apple Store back in September for the newest iPhone but I don't know how many of them would do it in January...

Hey! It's New England! Ya know? It's what we have thermal underwear and long Johns for. wink
Yet I cannot seem to convince a lot of people of that. Layers! That's what keeps you warm!
And mittens over your gloves. And double socks... (you get the idea)

Undead Enchantress

I guess they are made with different (sterner?) stuff or this is some sort of anime level martial arts training to be able to perform a Ki attack.
Japanese people are tough, huh.

Adorable Fisher

Corn soup. Yum mad

Magnetic Phantom

Why wouldn't they go with a circle of equally Apple-Product-crazy friends and take turns keeping their place in the line?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff