Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
Unable to identify Vimeo video URL.
Quote:
Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander has called video games “a bigger problem than guns.” Speaking on MSNBC's The Daily Rundown, Alexander condemned games but said he doesn’t expect anti-gun or game bills to catch on due to the First and Second Amendments.

"I'm going to wait and see on all of these bills," Alexander said. "I think video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people. But the First Amendment limits what we can do about video games and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns. So the details matter to me. I'm going to be skeptical of any of these proposals and examine them in light of the Second Amendment to the Constitution."

Alexander’s appearance coincides with a Senate hearing today discussing gun violence in the United States. This is one of many instances of video games entering into the debate in recent weeks, following President Obama asking congress to commission a study on violent games and a proposed bill from West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller.

Alexander’s comments follow video game condemnations from other politicians recently, including Senators Leland Yee and Chris Murphy last week and Missouri representative Diane Franklin earlier this month.

Source

Wow, Just when i thought this couldn't get any more stupid.

Brave Lionheart

29,150 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Yeah, video games are such a HUGE problem than the mental health of mentally unstable people that uses them, music or movies as a scapegoat. rolleyes Hey Lamar, go ******** yourself.

Interesting Lunatic

Politician horribly out of touch with reality.
Pope Catholic.
Water Wet.
Bears in Woods.
More at 11.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Oh, yes, it's video games that cause problems, not the mentally disturbed people playing them

Dangerous Lunatic

That Scruffy Mule

Pope Catholic.
Unless he's Coptic. 3nodding

Xonked's Senpai

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
emotion_facepalm

Of course it couldn't be mental health that's the problem. Must be the video games which have rarely been successfully connected to shootings.

Brave Lionheart

29,150 Points
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
That Scruffy Mule
Pope Catholic.
Water Wet.
Bears in Woods.
More at 11.

Cats living with dogs.
Fire hot.
Your parents had sex to make your little sibling.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Queen Shining Heaven
Oh, yes, it's video games that cause problems, not the mentally disturbed people playing them
X

User Image

Or the parents who let their 11 year old play a M rated game. emotion_facepalm

Seriously, people kill people. There are also ratings for a reason, if it's games that influence someone to actually go out and cause harm to people, They are not right in the head and any sort of violence will influence them. Movies, the news, the internet, Heck just going to school could trigger it.

User Image

Dangerous Lunatic

Agent-Sarah

Unless it was artificial insemination, or some other method that doesn't involve sex.

The news are getting pretty spotty with the accuracy these days.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
This is what I like to call "grasping at straws." They can't fathom that there's not a clear-cut answer to why someone might shoot up a school, a movie theater, or a mall -- where have you -- so they turn to the media. "Video games/movies/books/TV shows are too violent, ergo they cause people to commit violence."

Take, for example, when Columbine happened. People blamed Marilyn Manson because of his music is "violent" and "dark". People will always find a scapegoat to blame for someone's actions, instead of actually blaming the perpetrator.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Agent-Sarah
That Scruffy Mule
Pope Catholic.
Water Wet.
Bears in Woods.
More at 11.

Cats living with dogs.
Fire hot.

human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria?

Brave Lionheart

29,150 Points
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
sltttbrgr
Agent-Sarah

Unless it was artificial insemination, or some other method that doesn't involve sex.

The news are getting pretty spotty with the accuracy these days.

Oh sure, ruin my joke why don't ya? >:U

Feral Nymph

Keltoi Samurai
Agent-Sarah
That Scruffy Mule
Pope Catholic.
Water Wet.
Bears in Woods.
More at 11.

Cats living with dogs.
Fire hot.

human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria?

There's no "Infinity Tip Post". emo

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Dr Jin Love
Queen Shining Heaven
X

User Image

Seriously, people kill people. There are also ratings for a reason, if it's games that influence someone to actually go out and cause harm to people, They are not right in the head and any sort of violence will influence them. Movies, the news, the internet, Heck just going to school could trigger it.

User Image

Even if parents buy M-rated video games for their young pre-teen/teenager, they should drill it into their child's skull that video games are fantasy, and in reality, actions have consequences, whether it be serious injury, imprisonment, or death.

That message was pounded into my brain when I was young and watching any kind of cartoon, movie, or playing a video game. My mom made sure that I knew that even though I, and others, can infinitely come back to life in a video game, that is not the case in real life.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Ontological Empiricism
Dr Jin Love
Queen Shining Heaven
X

User Image

User Image

Even if parents buy M-rated video games for their young pre-teen/teenager, they should drill it into their child's skull that video games are fantasy, and in reality, actions have consequences, whether it be serious injury, imprisonment, or death.

That message was pounded into my brain when I was young and watching any kind of cartoon, movie, or playing a video game. My mom made sure that I knew that even though I, and others, can infinitely come back to life in a video game, that is not the case in real life.
As it was in mine too, never did anything bad cause of a game.

I wish people would stop blaming things for their actions and just blame it on themselves. They either have a mental condition, or just plain crazy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff