Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
Opponents of President Barack Obama's new Cuba policy have threatened to block his efforts to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years of hostility.

Florida Senator Marco Rubio promised on CNN to block the nomination of any US ambassador to Cuba.

Other anti-Castro legislators suggested Congress would removing funding for any normalised ties with the country.

US-Cuban ties have been frozen since the early 1960s - a policy of isolation Mr Obama condemned as a failure.

On Wednesday, the US president said it was time for a new approach.

As part of the deal, US contractor Alan Gross, 65, and an unnamed intelligence officer loyal to the US were released from Cuban prison in return for three Cubans held in the US.

It is interesting to note that there is a marked contrast between Cuban Americans around the US, who tend to favour normal relations between the two countries, and leading Cuban American congressmen in Washington.

Article

Ferocious Browser

Those in congress are usually older. what that means is that they were more closely affected by the takeover, it would have their parents, or even them, who fled and were directly harmed by the situation there. whereas by now, most of the cuban americans are a different generation who never lived in cuba at all. hearing about suffering isn't the same as suffering for the most part.

however, how does this article know that most favor the change?

all i can think of is how quickly their remaining forests and wild areas and unique species will be obliterated. havana used to be like las vegas, i can only imagine that will spread like the plague now.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eveille
Those in congress are usually older. what that means is that they were more closely affected by the takeover, it would have their parents, or even them, who fled and were directly harmed by the situation there. whereas by now, most of the cuban americans are a different generation who never lived in cuba at all. hearing about suffering isn't the same as suffering for the most part.

however, how does this article know that most favor the change?

all i can think of is how quickly their remaining forests and wild areas and unique species will be obliterated. havana used to be like las vegas, i can only imagine that will spread like the plague now.
Marco Rubio was born here in the 70s to parents who left Cuba in 1956 - years before the Castros took over. Bob Menendez's parents came here in '53 and he was born the next year. So much for your theory.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff