Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
US and Cuba are to start talks to normalise diplomatic ties in a historic shift in relations between the two countries, say US officials.

The US is also looking to open an embassy in Havana in the coming months.

The moves are part of a deal that saw the release of American Alan Gross by Cuba and includes the release of three Cubans jailed in Florida for spying.

US President Barack Obama will later hail the "most significant changes in US policy towards Cuba in 50 years".

Mr Gross, 65, has spent five years behind bars after being accused of subversion, for trying to bring internet services to communities in Cuba.

He earlier left Cuba on a US government plane and was freed on humanitarian grounds.

His arrest and imprisonment had undermined attempts to thaw diplomatic relations between the two countries.

Article
Bout goddamned time. This Cold War era s**t got dragged out too long.

Seriously, what threat IS Cuba to us? On any level?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Another reason to hate Obama. Why the ******** should we normalize relations with a brutal dictatorship?

Conservative Regular

Ratttking
Another reason to hate Obama. Why the ******** should we normalize relations with a brutal dictatorship?

Because His Holiness Pope Francis and thus God told you to.

and you lot don't want to piss off God do you?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Texadar
Ratttking

Because His Holiness Pope Francis and thus God told you to.

and you lot don't want to piss off God do you?
confused Did I miss something, like Obama converting to Catholicism? Last I checked he was a Protestant.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Does this mean we'll eventually be able to legally bring Cuban cigars into the U.S.? I don't smoke, but it would certainly make my extended family happy. XD
Ratttking

As if the US is any better than a dictatorship.

Artiistic's Significant Otter

Angelic Demigod

19,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
I thought I'd never see this day happen in my lifetime

TIME TO SMOKE

PralineQueen's Husband

Conservative Cat

13,750 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Married 100
Ratttking
Why the ******** should we normalize relations with a brutal dictatorship?

Because normalized relations mean embassies and embassies are wonderful sources of information on what is happening in the host country. Some may argue that the Cubans got something for relatively nothing, but a more robust diplomatic presence means a more robust intelligence presence and that in itself is its own reward.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
God Emperor Baldur
Ratttking

Pleas feel free to leave the US any time you like.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Kazuma
Ratttking

Because normalized relations mean embassies and embassies are wonderful sources of information on what is happening in the host country. Some may argue that the Cubans got something for relatively nothing, but a more robust diplomatic presence means a more robust intelligence presence and that in itself is its own reward.
Thank you for giving the only intelligent answer to my serious question.

Omnipresent Warlord

Both nations could benefit from the spread of capitalism and open borders. Fidel Castro and his brother are dead and so is Cuba's brand of communism. Normalized ties are long overdue.
Ratttking
God Emperor Baldur
Ratttking

Pleas feel free to leave the US any time you like.

I will once I get my Finland green card.
Ratttking
Kazuma
Ratttking

Thank you for giving the only intelligent answer to my serious question.

Your question is about as serious as the many failed CIA attempts on Castro's life. Which are also, incidentally, pretty hilarious.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff