Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Conversationalist

The Story:
Quote:
US law requires ‘so help me God’ to be included in the oath, though its implementation is left to each branch of the military

The US air force has told an atheist airman he must swear his re-enlistment oath to God or he will not be allowed to reenlist, according to the American Humanist.

The airman, who is stationed at Creech air force base in Nevada, has not been identified. The service said he has until November to swear the oath required of all servicemembers, which concludes with the phrase “so help me God”.

The American Humanist Association said in a letter to the air force (pdf) last week that the officer was told that he either had to say the phrase or leave the service. The airman has previously crossed out the phrase in a written contract and refused to say it out loud, and was told August 25 that the contract would therefore not be accepted for re-enlistment.

The group believes the oath as currently required is a violation of the airman’s constitutional rights under the first amendment and demanded that he be allowed to re-enlist without using the phrase.

US law requires the phrase to be included in the oath given to all servicemembers, though its implementation is left to each branch of the military. Air force members could omit the phrase until the service updated its directive on the oath in October 2013. Before that, the instruction for the oath included the phrase: “Airmen may omit the words ‘so help me God,’ if desired for personal reasons.”

The air force has said it cannot change the rule without congressional action.

“The right to omit these words is not only recognized by the courts, but has also been recognized by the air force itself,” the AHA said in the letter. AHA lawyer Monica Miller said the group will sue if he is not allowed to reenlist without including “so help me God” in the oath.

The air force did not respond to the Guardian’s request for comment, but told Air Force Times that the airman has until November, when his terms of service expire, to swear his oath with the phrase included.

Air force spokesperson Rose Richeson also told the news site that the air force is asking the Defense Department to review the rule. “The opinion will help inform the future decision,” Richeson said.

The full text of the oath is:

“I, ____________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

This battle echoes still brewing controversies over the inclusion of God in US government-sanctioned settings.

The inclusion of “under God” in the pledge of allegiance, which is recited in some public schools across the US, is routinely challenged. The most prominent challenge came in 2004, when a father’s lawsuit against the inclusion of the phrase made its way to the supreme court. The nation’s highest court overturned the ruling on procedural grounds.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/us-air-force-sergeant-reenlist-god-oath

The Follow-up:

Quote:
Faster than a new recruit can shout “Sir, yes sir!” the US Air Force has reversed its policy requiring new recruits and those reenlisting to conclude a swearing-in oath with “So help me God.”

The trouble for the Air Force started when a Tech. Sgt. at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada with 10 years’ service wanted to reenlist. As an atheist, he didn’t see why he had to swear an oath to a deity he didn’t believe in. It seemed to violate the religious establishment clause of the US Constitution. And besides, none of the other branches of the US military required it, nor did the honor code at the US Air Force Academy turning out shiny, new Second Lieutenants.

So the sergeant scratched out that last line in the Air Force enlistment/reenlistment document, which read in full: “I, [insert name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

Recommended: Are you smarter than a US Marine? Take the recruitment quiz
It seemed to him that to “swear (or affirm)” was commitment enough, and civil libertarians agreed.

When the American Humanist Association (AHA) announced that it would represent the sergeant – in court, if necessary – the Air Force scrambled to find a way out of a situation marked by mounting ridicule. More seriously, the situation seemed to reinforce the difficulty the Air Force has had in recent years with criticisms involving proselytizing and other forms of forced religiosity, including at the Air Force Academy.

Within days, the Air Force had kicked the situation up to the Pentagon, where the Defense Department’s General Counsel quickly determined that the sergeant was correct.

“We take any instance in which Airmen report concerns regarding religious freedom seriously,” Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James said in a statement. “We are making the appropriate adjustments to ensure our Airmen's rights are protected.”

“The Air Force will be updating the instructions for both enlisted and commissioned Airmen to reflect these changes in the coming weeks, but the policy change is effective now,” the Air Force declared. “Airmen who choose to omit the words 'So help me God' from enlistment and officer appointment oaths may do so.”

Monica Miller, an attorney with the American Humanist Association, pronounced herself “pleased that the U.S. Department of Defense has confirmed our client has a First Amendment right to omit the reference to a supreme being in his reenlistment oath.”

“We hope the Air Force will respect the constitutional rights of Atheists in the future,” she said in a statement.

It’s probably not the last the Air Force and the other services have heard about religion in the US military.

Says Jason Torpy, president of the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers, “Now we return to seeking other equal rights such as identification on official records, chaplain support, and spiritual fitness training that helps humanists and other nontheists.”

Source: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2014/0918/Air-Force-does-quick-about-face-on-So-help-me-God

Some topics to help promote discussion (but feel free to think of your own):
      • Should this be legal?
      • Do you think the letter will be effective/promote changes?
      • Have you ever been in a similar circumstance? Have you ever been in a situation where you had to pretend to affirm to a higher power or religious 'moral' you didn't believe in to fit in/keep a job/stay safe?
      • What would you like to see changed, if anything, regarding public sector jobs having religious requirements?

Business Girl

did he tip his fedora after that

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
updated its directive on the oath in October 2013. Before that, the instruction for the oath included the phrase: “Airmen may omit the words ‘so help me God,’ if desired for personal reasons.”

So... confused... did the air force have congressional action when they changed the rules in October 2013?

Out of curiosity I looked up the oath for becoming a US citizen.
It does include the phrase "so help me God".
Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America

However, it also allows people to omit that if they notify them they want to say an alternate oath.
What Should I Expect Fromthe Naturalization Process? (see last page)
"If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words “on oath” and “so help me God” included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. applicants are not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. "

It has been a lot of years since I was sworn in to the navy so I don't recall what I said but most likely it was worded similar to the article in post 1. However since this is a country where it is okay to be an atheist or to believe in some religion that might not include "God' it doesn't seem reasonable to force a person to say it as a grounds for them being able to serve in the military.

If we had a draft it would be contradictory. A person could become a citizen and agree (part of the oath) to serve in the military if required, but then not be able to take the required oath for joining the military if they honestly did not believe in God.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
David2074
updated its directive on the oath in October 2013. Before that, the instruction for the oath included the phrase: “Airmen may omit the words ‘so help me God,’ if desired for personal reasons.”

So... confused... did the air force have congressional action when they changed the rules in October 2013?

However, it also allows people to omit that if they notify them they want to say an alternate oath.
"If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words “on oath” and “so help me God” included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. applicants are not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. "

It has been a lot of years since I was sworn in to the navy so I don't recall what I said but most likely it was worded similar to the article in post 1. However since this is a country where it is okay to be an atheist or to believe in some religion that might not include "God' it doesn't seem reasonable to force a person to say it as a grounds for them being able to serve in the military.

If we had a draft it would be contradictory. A person could become a citizen and agree (part of the oath) to serve in the military if required, but then not be able to take the required oath for joining the military if they honestly did not believe in God.

Think I remember a 'so help me God' phrase in the oath when we were sworn in at MEPS. We pretty much just said ******** it, said the words, and then went about our day.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
JamesWN
David2074

Think I remember a 'so help me God' phrase in the oath when we were sworn in at MEPS. We pretty much just said ******** it, said the words, and then went about our day.

Personally, I wouldn't feel right by saying the words. I'd feel like I'd lose some dignity.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I don't get the insistance on a false oath. because if you don't believe you might as well swear to Azloth. So either you want an honest oath or a convient lie?
So they're willing to accommodate those who refuse to swear, allowing them the option to "affirm" instead, but "So help me God ( or appropriate alternative )" is just a bridge too far, I assume?

What the literal Hell?

Superpowered Werewolf

20,340 Points
  • nuGen Staff 25
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Galactic Domination 200
classicmeevs
did he tip his fedora after that

[EUPHORIA INTENSIFIES]

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I am cringing too badly at the title to give a s**t.

Timid Conversationalist

JamesWN

If I am going to write on government paper that I swear to God to get a public sector job... I just... I couldn't. For one, these oaths can mean a great deal to some individuals and for them to have to swear to a deity they do not believe in to get a job they are passionate about and may potentially sacrifice their lives over, that is just disrespectful to such a high degree...

I would never surrender my dignity like that. I would feel as if I was disgracing my integrity. It wouldn't be honest to myself or my government and people.

It is fine if you don't care and I can respect that but some people do care and it is definitely a violation to have to sign such a paper to obtain a public sector job.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Blood Valkyrie
JamesWN
David2074

Personally, I wouldn't feel right by saying the words. I'd feel like I'd lose some dignity.

JamesWN

I believe in God so at the time I never thought about it.
But I'm also open minded enough to recognize that forcing people to say it isn't really fair to people who don't.
To me it sort of flies in the face of having freedom of religion and all that.

Tipsy Prophet

This was resolved back in September. The response from the Air Force was "yeah, sure, go ahead." So there you are.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
David2074
Blood Valkyrie
JamesWN
David2074

JamesWN

But I'm also open minded enough to recognize that forcing people to say it isn't really fair to people who don't.

For me, it would kind of like getting married with a priest or preacher. I wouldn't take the marriage seriously. I'd demand a secular officiant. You know?

Taking an oath by a god, when I don't believe in the existence of the god, makes the oath void to me. Like, if I were to sell my soul. I don't have a soul to begin with. So, there is no sale.

And lying about it all just to get by would make me feel less worthy.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Blood Valkyrie
David2074
Blood Valkyrie
JamesWN
David2074

JamesWN

For me, it would kind of like getting married with a priest or preacher. I wouldn't take the marriage seriously. I'd demand a secular officiant. You know?

Taking an oath by a god, when I don't believe in the existence of the god, makes the oath void to me. Like, if I were to sell my soul. I don't have a soul to begin with. So, there is no sale.

And lying about it all just to get by would make me feel less worthy.

Yeah, I can see that. I'd have a problem taking an oath in the name of (some prophet or religion) I didn't believe in.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Okay. You know what? Here is a question that just popped into my head and I seem, for the moment, to be the only person considering this.

First, why - never mind.

Secondly, since the military operates under the care of the President of the United States (him/her being the Civilian Executive Officer in command of the military), why not change the oath to something on that order to affirm loyalty to the President and the Government (government being the American people whom the military is meant to serve and protect. You follow me here? ) instead?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff