Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
...Measles Oubreak.

Quote:

LOS ANGELES—A measles outbreak linked to the Disneyland Resort continues to raise concerns in California, where state officials confirmed 59 cases Wednesday and cautioned people who weren’t vaccinated against the disease to avoid Disneyland theme parks in the area.

“This is not a trivial illness,” said Gil Chavez of the California Department of Public Health, which urged the state’s nonvaccinated residents to get vaccinations to prevent the disease from spreading further.

Measles is a highly contagious disease that starts with fever, cough and runny nose and progresses into a red rash.

Forty-two cases in the outbreak that began last month have been associated with an initial exposure in December at Walt Disney Co. ’s Disneyland or Disney California Adventure Park in Anaheim, Calif.

“As soon as the [Orange County] Health Care Agency notified us on Jan. 7, we immediately began to communicate to our [workers] to raise awareness,” said Pamela Hymel, chief medical officer with Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. “We also offered vaccinations and immunity tests.

Five of Disneyland’s 27,000 or so employees have been diagnosed with the measles, park officials said; three of those have already been cleared to return to work. Employees who may have been in close contact with the sick workers but prefer to opt out of vaccination or immunity testing are also being put on paid leave until the incubation period is over, according to a Disney official.

Outside of California, there have been eight additional measles cases in Utah, Washington, Oregon, Colorado and the country of Mexico, according to California officials. California officials say it is difficult to trace the outbreak to one person, but believe it most likely began with either an international traveler visiting the theme park or a resident visiting the park who had recently traveled abroad.

While measles was declared eliminated in the U.S. in 2000, there have been rising numbers of U.S. cases. “In two and a half weeks, we’ve had the same number of cases [in California] that we have had in all of last year,” said Mr. Chavez.

Source

With as many people that visit the park the numbers probably going to go higher. And then in each state where the infected are they'll probably be a rise if the sick person came in contact with others who weren't vaccinated.

Also it'll be interesting to see if any of the sick people try to sue Disney since they got the measles while visiting the resort.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Considering it's usually a person to person transmission kind of disease, it would be very difficult to hold the park legally accountable since literally anyone visiting the park, be they symptomatic or no, could have started the outbreak. And it's not like the park kept it quiet. They warned people and have taken what action they could with employees as far as vaccinating, immunity testing, and keeping those who would not submit to either off on paid leave until they are cleared. It'd be like getting a cold from going to the mall and then suing the mall for getting said cold. Difficult to prove the mall's accountability in that situation, and since it's a place open to the public, as long as the venue keeps up to health codes, you can't stick them as at fault in a lawsuit. It'd work the same for the disney park. So they should be safe on the legal end of things, and any suit brought against them would likely be thrown out or be settled out of court. Now, had it been something like salmonella contracted through food purchased at the park, or due to contaminated water or something that the park IS responsible for the upkeep of, then yes, they could bring suit against them. But this is not that type of disease and it's not that kind of situation.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Hurr durr you idiotz hoo beleeve n jerm theree R teh sheeplez

Seriously. Get vaccinated. Get your kids vaccinated.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Roy Cura

My neighbor was worried about getting her first kid vaccinated because of all the lies about them, so when it came to her daughter's first shots she asked them why they had to and the nurses were more than happy to crush the rumors.

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

My neighbor was worried about getting her first kid vaccinated because of all the lies about them, so when it came to her daughter's first shots she asked them why they had to and the nurses were more than happy to crush the rumors.

The whole linking them to autism scare has probably made a lot of people avoid vaccinating their children. Plus all the "be healthy, organic" types may avoid them as well due to whatever the added stuff in the vaccinations are. So, probably a lot more unvaccinated people/kids running around these days then 20 years ago.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

The whole linking them to autism scare has probably made a lot of people avoid vaccinating their children. Plus all the "be healthy, organic" types may avoid them as well due to whatever the added stuff in the vaccinations are. So, probably a lot more unvaccinated people/kids running around these days then 20 years ago.

I avoid chemicals and still get my shots because I'd rather have cancer than small pox.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
******** anti-vaccination moms are putting EVERYONE at risk.

There is almost no risk to a MMR vaccine.

Get your stupid ******** rugrat vaccinated.

(Why am I a nurse? I can't handle stupid ******** people. Good thing I'm not a peds nurse...)

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Alexander J Luthor
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

I avoid chemicals and still get my shots because I'd rather have cancer than small pox.

Last trip to the dentist, there was a guy there that wanted to avoid all chemicals and be natural. He got a root canal done with no pain meds or numbing shots at all! gonk that is one dedicated and tough cookie! Makes me shudder to think of it...

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
61 now and 6 of them infants.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

Just wondering, did you have any trouble getting a smallpox shot? They were standard issue when I was young (and we liked comparing our scars, lol) but I thought they stopped administering them because they think it is wiped out here in the US.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

Last trip to the dentist, there was a guy there that wanted to avoid all chemicals and be natural. He got a root canal done with no pain meds or numbing shots at all! gonk that is one dedicated and tough cookie! Makes me shudder to think of it...
Maybe he has a very high pain threshold? My mom got all her dental work done sans anesthetics. The only times I saw her in pain were when she slid down the wooden basement stairs on her shin by accident (so gross, her leg turned purple) and when she was dying of cancer, before they just put her on huge amounts of morphine.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

If I had been him, I'd be slumped over mostly because I was dead. Just watched Cast Away for the first time and, holy s**t, when he broke his tooth out with a ******** ice skate of all things. One big NOPE.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

Just wondering, did you have any trouble getting a smallpox shot? They were standard issue when I was young (and we liked comparing our scars, lol) but I thought they stopped administering them because they think it is wiped out here in the US.

Not as far as I can remember. I just hate... what is it, TB? That thing burns when it enters your arm, then you go numb. The last vaccination I needed I got three shots. The one arm was shot for the rest of the day.

I wouldn't count anything out. It's like that burst of bubonic plague that came from a hole in the ground in Colorado either last year or two years ago.

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Ratttking
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Silverlight Symphony
Alexander J Luthor
Roy Cura

Maybe he has a very high pain threshold? My mom got all her dental work done sans anesthetics. The only times I saw her in pain were when she slid down the wooden basement stairs on her shin by accident (so gross, her leg turned purple) and when she was dying of cancer, before they just put her on huge amounts of morphine.

Could be, I do not know. I just know he said he wanted to live chemical free to the staff and so said no painkillers/numbing agents.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Thank god that Disney's taking initiative to prevent things from getting potentially worse. This is why vaccinations are important.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff