• PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pia Austin
JamesWN
Pia Austin
JamesWN
If this is the case I'm thinking about then this is what bothers me, they were talking about hiring for diversification even if the people they hired did not know how to swim.

I don't really care who they hire, but I want them to be able to swim and have the proper qualifications for that job before being hired.

The thing is affirmative action programs make sure the person is qualified they just choose the qualified black person or person of color instead of the equally qualified white person to diversify the workforce.

All I've heard about this is a blurb on WSLS and it said that they were hiring people that couldn't even swim. Is there more about this?

The problem I see here is that since everyone automatically thinks blacks and latinos can't swim there is a potential bias in who is being hired as life guards. Thus, they want to hire more latino and black lifeguards who will be just as qualified as white lifeguards, that way they don't get sued. No problem here just Fox News blowing everything out of proportion by reducing affirmative action programs to garbage.

Actually they ARE hiring poor swimmers.
All in the name of diversity and equality, because everyone knows you're going to tell the person that saves you, if of a different tan level or language, you'd rather wait for someone you can relate to for saving. Bunch of idiots are going to have drowned kids all in the name of PC.

Highly doubt the validity of your link. Also higly doubt they will hire unqualified black or latino people.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
If it's a thing about communication, why not just hire people that can swim and are also able to speak Spanish? I'm sure there are plenty of Spanish teachers who are looking for a job during the summer willing to do this.

If it's more about the diversity then it really isn't necessary. I didn't think that any one in the US had a problem with a lack of diversity with lifeguards in any area.

Dapper Gawker

David2074
Pia Austin
The problem I see here is that since everyone automatically thinks blacks and latinos can't swim...

Who is everyone?
I saw this quote in the article -
"“Hispanics and blacks tend to not be as good swimmers as whites, and many more black Americans and Hispanics, actually those kids don’t know how to swim,” Wright concluded. “This is just putting — it’s not good.”"
and it sounded kind of whack to me.
Is there supposed to be some statistical truth to blacks and latinos can't swim as well? To me that just sounds like racist blah blah.
In Maryland at the six flags ALL the life guards were black, and they all swam pretty well. And Isn't a racial slur for a mexican "wet-back" because they swam to america? e.e

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
AnaI Crackers
David2074
Pia Austin
The problem I see here is that since everyone automatically thinks blacks and latinos can't swim...

Who is everyone?
I saw this quote in the article -
"“Hispanics and blacks tend to not be as good swimmers as whites, and many more black Americans and Hispanics, actually those kids don’t know how to swim,” Wright concluded. “This is just putting — it’s not good.”"
and it sounded kind of whack to me.
Is there supposed to be some statistical truth to blacks and latinos can't swim as well? To me that just sounds like racist blah blah.
In Maryland at the six flags ALL the life guards were black, and they all swam pretty well. And Isn't a racial slur for a mexican "wet-back" because they swam to america? e.e

Yes, wet back is a racial slur that usually refers to illegal Mexican immigrants.
Though if they were wading as in the description below they were not necessarily a good swimmer.

"Generally used as an ethnic slur,[2] the term was originally coined and applied only to Mexicans who entered the US State of Texas from Mexico by crossing the Rio Grande river, which forms the border between Texas and Mexico, presumably by swimming or wading across and getting wet in the process"

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pia Austin
JamesWN
Pia Austin
JamesWN
If this is the case I'm thinking about then this is what bothers me, they were talking about hiring for diversification even if the people they hired did not know how to swim.

I don't really care who they hire, but I want them to be able to swim and have the proper qualifications for that job before being hired.

The thing is affirmative action programs make sure the person is qualified they just choose the qualified black person or person of color instead of the equally qualified white person to diversify the workforce.

All I've heard about this is a blurb on WSLS and it said that they were hiring people that couldn't even swim. Is there more about this?

The problem I see here is that since everyone automatically thinks blacks and latinos can't swim there is a potential bias in who is being hired as life guards. Thus, they want to hire more latino and black lifeguards who will be just as qualified as white lifeguards, that way they don't get sued. No problem here just Fox News blowing everything out of proportion by reducing affirmative action programs to garbage.

All in the name of diversity and equality, because everyone knows you're going to tell the person that saves you, if of a different tan level or language, you'd rather wait for someone you can relate to for saving. Bunch of idiots are going to have drowned kids all in the name of PC.
They aren't going to just toss them into the job. It says that they are willing to teach them how to swim. If thats what they want to do, then thats what they want to do.
Pia Austin
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pia Austin
JamesWN
Pia Austin
JamesWN

Highly doubt the validity of your link. Also higly doubt they will hire unqualified black or latino people.

NPR is being doubted? In other words, you have a terminal case of Ostrich syndrome and absolutely refuse to believe anything bad or short bus riding stupid as this for the sake of PC.
Annata Cannata
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pia Austin
JamesWN
Pia Austin
JamesWN

They aren't going to just toss them into the job. It says that they are willing to teach them how to swim. If thats what they want to do, then thats what they want to do.

They are going to teach them the basics. Read that again. Basics. Rudimentary swimming skills. One of those signed up for the class was taking it to hopefully help him get over his fear of water.
Yep. That's a bang up ground for a life guard to have!!
They aren't going to be experienced,nor proficient at swimming. But not my problem. I don't live in Phoenix.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Annata Cannata
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pia Austin
JamesWN

They are going to teach them the basics. Read that again. Basics. Rudimentary swimming skills. One of those signed up for the class was taking it to hopefully help him get over his fear of water.
Yep. That's a bang up ground for a life guard to have!!
They aren't going to be experienced,nor proficient at swimming. But not my problem. I don't live in Phoenix.
Isn't that what most life guards have? And they have to get hired first before training, that guy might not even be hired. Also life guards need more than just swimming skills. They need training in various life saving skills and procedures. New hires will need training no matter what, this pool simply decided to start from the ground up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff