Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A driver who abandoned his pickup truck on railroad tracks before a fiery crash with a commuter train made repeated attempts to get the vehicle off the rails and then ran for his life as the train approached, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Jose Alejandro Sanchez-Ramirez accidentally drove onto the tracks and made the situation worse by continuing forward in an attempt to get enough speed to get his wide pickup over the rails, attorney Ron Bamieh said. When that effort failed, he tried to push the truck and then fled before the impact.

"He hits his high beams trying to do something. He's screaming. He realizes, 'I can't do anything,' and then he tries to run so he doesn't get killed," Bamieh said. "He saw the impact, yes. It was a huge explosion."

The lawyer's account offered a different perspective on what investigators have said about the crash that injured 30 people, four critically, when the Los Angeles-bound Metrolink train derailed before dawn Tuesday.

Police said Ramirez was trying to turn right at an intersection just beyond the crossing, but he made the turn too soon, drove onto the tracks before the crossing arms came down and got stuck.

Other drivers have done the same thing, but they were able to get their vehicles off the tracks. In this case, however, the trailer Ramirez was towing may have made that more difficult, Oxnard Assistant Police Chief Jason Benites said.

National Transportation Safety Board member Robert Sumwalt said Wednesday that the truck wasn't stuck in the way vehicles sometimes get trapped between railroad crossing safety arms. He said investigators have not ruled out that the truck was stuck and will determine why it traveled 80 feet down the tracks and remained there with its parking brake engaged.

"I don't think anybody would put a car or truck on ... railroad tracks and not try to get it off if there's an approaching train," Sumwalt said.

Bamieh said Ramirez's Ford F-450 truck straddled the tracks. While he was able to drive forward, the trailer prevented him from backing up, and he couldn't get his wheels to clear the rails.

Police said Ramirez did not call 911 and made no immediate effort to call for help. But Bamieh said Ramirez, who doesn't speak English well, tried to get help from a passerby, tried calling his employer and eventually reached his son to help him speak with police.

Sumwalt said the train's video cameras that recorded the crash and data recorders that tracked its speed were being analyzed to help determine what happened. Ramirez's truck, which was heavily burned, could also yield evidence, though Sumwalt said it was a model that typically doesn't have a data recorder.

Police said Ramirez was found 45 minutes after the crash 1.6 miles away, though Bamieh said he was only a half-mile away and that he has phone records that show he spoke with police much sooner. He was arrested on suspicion of leaving the scene of an accident with injuries and was expected to be arraigned Thursday.

Police would not discuss drug and alcohol test results, but Bamieh said he was told there was no sign Ramirez was impaired.

Ramirez, 54, of Yuma, Arizona, had a drunken driving conviction in Arizona in 1998 and a pair of traffic citations. Bamieh said the citations were minor and the DUI was too old to be relevant to the current circumstances.

Lives were likely saved by passenger cars designed to absorb a crash that were purchased after a collision a decade ago in Glendale killed 11 people and injured 180 others, Metrolink officials said. The four passenger cars in Tuesday's crash remained largely intact, as did the locomotive.

The crash disrupted rail service for a day, but it resumed Wednesday.

The train collided around 5:45 a.m. Tuesday, a few minutes after leaving the Oxnard station. The engineer saw the abandoned vehicle and hit the brakes, but there wasn't enough time to stop, Oxnard Fire Battalion Chief Sergio Martinez said.

The crossing has been the site of many crashes.

EEEEKKK

Apocalyptic Capitalist

8,875 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Millionaire 200
I think this is a story that will keep developing over the next couple weeks. There's a lots of holes in the story to be able to pass judgement. I'm kind of giving the benefit of the doubt to the truck owner right based on the fact that there have been multiple accidents at this particular crossing though the parking break thing is kind of funny. If the man doesn't speak English very well that would definitely explain why he didn't call the police right away, a lot of language-challenged people will call family to ask for help before calling the cops. I'm also wondering if the crossing had any type of sign indicating a dangerous track. When I drove truck (semi truck) I came up to a sign that indicated a high track and that trailer towing vehicles wouldn't be able to cross. (I actually sat there contemplating crossing until a local saw me and walked over to tell me not to do it and that many trucks have made that mistake and gotten stuck.) If its an accident prone crossing there should be some type of sign indicating that.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
This reiterates my belief that fluency in English should be a requirement to get a driver's license here.
Why would he intentionally leave his truck behind?

Lonely Wolf

There should be a law that allows American Citizens to kill illegal immigrants from Mexico. They're criminals and they're invading our nation from the south.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
This reiterates my belief that fluency in English should be a requirement to get a driver's license here.

Language likely had nothing to do with it.
Oxnard is a bit west of LA and according to census data is very heavily "Hispanic or Latino". It's a pretty safe bet 911 services in the area have folks who speak Spanish.

And railroad crossing signs are pretty universal and are mostly visual not "wordy'. I have seen train crossings in countries where I did not understand the language at all and it didn't matter.

What I find myself wondering is how he managed to drive down the railroad tracks and why his parking brake was apparently engaged. The parking brake sounds suspicious but possibly it was not functional. Sometimes people forget it is on and it gets burned out. At that point you can drive down the road with it engaged and not even know it. I think some newer vehicles have a dash light associated with it. Older vehicles do not, including my 2002 van which otherwise has a lot of fancy features.

If intent is not involved here then I think some measure of stupid is.
Many news stories (I'm looking at you Florida) show us that being fluent in English does not eliminate stupid. smile

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
David2074
Ratttking

Oxnard is a bit west of LA and according to census data is very heavily "Hispanic or Latino". It's a pretty safe bet 911 services in the area have folks who speak Spanish.

And railroad crossing signs are pretty universal and are mostly visual not "wordy'. I have seen train crossings in countries where I did not understand the language at all and it didn't matter.

What I find myself wondering is how he managed to drive down the railroad tracks and why his parking brake was apparently engaged. The parking brake sounds suspicious but possibly it was not functional. Sometimes people forget it is on and it gets burned out. At that point you can drive down the road with it engaged and not even know it. I think some newer vehicles have a dash light associated with it. Older vehicles do not, including my 2002 van which otherwise has a lot of fancy features.

Many news stories (I'm looking at you Florida) show us that being fluent in English does not eliminate stupid. smile
Then he has no excuse for not calling 911.

Without seeing the crossing I cannot tell what the signs looked like, but no, they are not 'pretty universal':
If these were in another language, I would not know what they meant.

Some of the purely symbolic signs shown there are rather confusing as well.

Well, from his driving record he doesn't seem terribly concerned with following the laws of the road, which is stupid in my book.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
David2074
Ratttking

Then he has no excuse for not calling 911.

Without seeing the crossing I cannot tell what the signs looked like, but no, they are not 'pretty universal':
If these were in another language, I would not know what they meant.

Some of the purely symbolic signs shown there are rather confusing as well.

Well, from his driving record he doesn't seem terribly concerned with following the laws of the road, which is stupid in my book.

Maybe universal was poor wording but my point is that wording / language on the signs is rarely if ever an issue for recognizing train tracks and crossings. I have been to countries where yeah, the signs were different, but I could still tell it was a railroad crossing. And even if there were no signs at all, somehow managing to straddle the tracks with your pickup truck and drive down the tracks 50 feet sounds fishy and unrelated to language skills.

I've driven over enough "raw" railroad tracks (as in not made level with the road) to know I can get a pickup truck to jump the rails. If it was just the truck I'd want to call BS on being stuck unless the truck was modified to be a low rider or something. But I'm not sure what size / weight the trailer was and how much of a factor that was.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Serenity Of Crown Royal
There should be a law that allows American Citizens to kill illegal immigrants from Mexico. They're criminals and they're invading our nation from the south.
What does that have to do with this? Nothing in the article indicates he is illegal, it says he's from Yuma, AZ.

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
Stale Taste
Why would he intentionally leave his truck behind?

Because he didn't want to be creamed by an oncoming train.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff