Welcome to Gaia! ::

Time-traveling Senshi

Train Derailment at O'Hare Leaves 32 Injured

Quote:
          Thirty-two people were injured — none seriously — when an eight-car Chicago Transit Authority train continued through the end of the platform and struck the escalators leading to the terminals at O'Hare International Airport early Monday morning.

"The train actually climbed over the last stop, jumped up on the sidewalk and then went up the stairs and escalators," Chicago Fire Department Commissioner Jose Santiago said of the crash, which happened just before 3 a.m. on the CTA's Blue Line.

He said it was immediately unknown if the train's motorman had some sort of medical problem prior to the crash but said that operator was walking, talking and answering questions afterward.

CTA spokesman Brian Steele, speaking to reporters at 5 a.m., said it was too early to say what caused the crash but said video footage was being reviewed and personnel were being interviewed. He said there were no immediate indications that equipment issues played a role in the crash.

The O'Hare station has three "pockets" for trains, and each has a bumping post at the end -- a large piece of metal with a shock absorber mechanism behind it, Steele explained.

"It appears as though the train would have been going faster than a train normally berthing at this station would be," he said. "Normally a train pulls in at just a couple miles and hour and pulls into the station. Obviously this train did not stop so speed could be a factor here."

Of those injured, 12 were listed in fair condition at Resurrection Medical Center. All of the patients were adults and were being treated for bumps and bruises. Another seven people were taken to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital with reported neck and back pain. A supervisor at Swedish Covenant Hospital said the facility received five people from the crash.

"I thought it was just a hard stop at the train didn't even slow down when it was coming in," said a Transportation Security Administration employee who wished to not be identified. "It was chaos. ... People were freaking out. Trying to figure out what happened. Trying to make sure everyone was okay."

Blue Line service north to O'Hare was stopped at the Rosemont station. Shuttle buses were brought in to continue the service to the airport. Service was also disrupted between Logan Square and Western because of planned track work. As a result, trains were operating only in two sections early Monday morning: Rosemont and Logan Square and Western and Forest Park.

Christopher Bushell, the transit agency's chief infrastructure officer, said the O'Hare airport station would remain closed for least "12 to 24 hours."

An official with The National Transportation Safety Board, which took over the investigation, later said commuter access to the station would be prohibited until at least Tuesday afternoon

(Source)

Additional Information and Updates:

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Yah Wipe lash

Time-traveling Senshi

xdivision_whitey
Yah Wipe lash

Thankfully no one was hurt but they don't know, seeing as this happened at like 3am, if the long hours and overtime the female motorman had been putting in lately caused her to fall asleep at the wheel. My cousin flies for United and he intentionally lives along the Blue Line so he can take that into work when he has to fly out. That, along with some scheduled work along the line is really going to muck things up for a few days. Reports had said initially they were going to get people off at the stop just before O'Hare and bus people into the airport. My sister said with the way they have the Blue Line stop set up at O'Hare there's an inbound and an outbound side and that they should be able to redirect the inbound to the outbound side and not disrupt service too much.

Insularis's Waifu

Witty Phantom

Good thing no one was killed.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
So...what, did the conductor go "Aw yeeeh! Make train go fast! Vroom vroom-oh s**t." Stick to the buses. At least with those, you can see the driver and know if they're derping out.

Time-traveling Senshi

xXFurygeistXx
So...what, did the conductor go "Aw yeeeh! Make train go fast! Vroom vroom-oh s**t." Stick to the buses. At least with those, you can see the driver and know if they're derping out.

The female motorman said she felt like she was falling asleep at the controls. I've seen some other motormen saying that the CTA has been doubling up on their hours and requiring long overtime so they're driving more than they should be. So it's no wonder she would be dozing at 3am. Still NTSB wants to interview her and check all the sensor data to see if speed of the train or the breaking system played a factor in the crash. Asleep at the wheel is not good for the CTA at all.

Time-traveling Senshi

Well, more information is out in the crash investigation at O'Hare and now the question becomes was the Track Trip system working like it should be? Did it fire too soon or did it fire at the right time and was not fast enough? Because now reports, interviews, and other information are saying the breaks were applied and Track Trip engaged at around 2:50am.

Excitable Strawberry

Hmm. The Blue Line just had another one in September. That's my usual line, too.

October

Time-traveling Senshi

Silvyee
Hmm. The Blue Line just had another one in September. That's my usual line, too.

October

Oh yeah the "runaway" train situation with the possibly stolen train. The Track Trip didn't seem to work well back then either. So if it is determined the Track Tip wasn't working this time either then the CTA has a lot of work to do up and down the line.

Excitable Strawberry

Chibi Halo
Silvyee

October

Oh yeah the "runaway" train situation with the possibly stolen train. The Track Trip didn't seem to work well back then either. So if it is determined the Track Tip wasn't working this time either then the CTA has a lot of work to do up and down the line.

Appropriately we just had this:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9476158

Quote:
March 22, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Crews kicked off a massive project to upgrade the Blue Line's O'Hare Branch on Friday night. It will affect CTA riders for the next four years.

Time-traveling Senshi

Silvyee
Chibi Halo
Silvyee

October

Quote:
March 22, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Crews kicked off a massive project to upgrade the Blue Line's O'Hare Branch on Friday night. It will affect CTA riders for the next four years.

Yeah that's going to suck for the regular commuters along the Blue Line because I figure they'll be closing sections of the line and bus people from one stop to the next. This just adds more insult to injury.

Excitable Strawberry

Chibi Halo
Silvyee
Chibi Halo
Silvyee

October

Quote:

Yeah that's going to suck for the regular commuters along the Blue Line because I figure they'll be closing sections of the line and bus people from one stop to the next. This just adds more insult to injury.

I really hate having to use shuttle buses or take other trains in between. At least winter is nearly over.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff