Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

Dolls based on the drug-dealing characters from TV’s “Breaking Bad” are no longer being sold by Toys R Us stores after a Fort Myers mother sought their removal through an online petition.

The 6-inch-tall likenesses of Walter White and Jesse Pinkman come with accessories such as pretend crystal methamphetamines, guns and cash, and meth-making necessities such as a hazardous-material suit, lab coat and gas mask.

“Let’s just say, the action figures have taken an indefinite sabbatical,” Toys R Us said in a statement to The Associated Press.

Susan Schrivjer told WFTX-TV in Cape Coral that although the collectibles were advertised for ages 15 and older, they promote drugs and send a bad message to children.

“I just think that they need to look at their visions and values,” said Schrivjer, whose petition on Change.org had more than 8,000 signatures on Tuesday. “Anything that has to do with drugs is not the right thing.”

Toys R Us reacted as the national media picked up her story and the petition gained traction. By Tuesday afternoon, the four styles of “Breaking Bad” collectibles were not available at outlets in Brandon, Port Richey and St. Petersburg, and they were removed from the company’s website.

A day earlier, Toys R Us defended selling the dolls in a statement to several media outlets, noting they were supposed to be displayed in an area for adult toys and available only in limited quanities.

“We carry a variety of fictional character action figures, including those for our collector customers,” a spokeswoman told The Washington Post.

The “Breaking Bad” collectibles, made by Mezco Toyz of New York City, have also been sold by Barnes & Noble, Sears, Kmart, Wal-Mart and other retailers that don’t necessarily specialize in children’s toys.

Schrivjer said she likes the show and has no problem if the action figures are sold in adult stores. But she was worried because children can mimic the dolls they play with.

The “celebration of the drug trade make this collection unsuitable to be sold alongside Barbie dolls and Disney characters,” said her petition, posted under the name Susan Myers.

At least one adult isn’t interested in her petition: “Breaking Bad” star Bryan Cranston, who plays chemistry teacher-turned-meth maker White (aka Heisenberg).

On Twitter, the actor wrote: “I’m so mad, I’m burning my Florida Mom action figure in protest.”

Source

Whaaa? I didn't even now these dolls existed. Let alone that Toys R Us would have them. A store like Spencer's, yes. Toys R Us, no.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I dunno. I thought Toys R Us's usual business practice was keeping the mature toys to online sales instead of the physical store shelves.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
My Toys 'R Us sells FREDDY KRUGER AND JASON ACTION FIGURES, yet ******** Walt and Jessie. emotion_facepalm

Dabbler

My local Toys R Us stores have always carried adult collector's products.
Was never a problem.
Don't see why it should be.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Doesn't Toys R Us carry NERF guns?

The N-Strike line, the follow up N-Strike Elite and the Zombie line, specifically?

Y'know, toys designed to mimic guns, that you then use to shoot your friends?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Oh, look. A fully automatic Nerf Assault Rifle purpose designed for no other reason than shooting up all your playground friends.

And it's been on the market for four years, now, with nary a protest or complaint.

And look: This one's an emplaced machine gun on a tripod, and two years older.

So, what's new in more recent years in the World of Nerf, and the glorifying of shooting all your friends with whatever you find in the back of your parent's closet when searching for Christmas presents?

Derringers

Shotguns

Lever-action repeaters

And a baseball bat so you can swing for the cheap seats, right at your buddy's nugget.

Oh, and don't forget . . . whatever the Hell this is.

And this is marketed directly at children, no less, rather than being something for the older'uns specifically. Why no outrage here?

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Toys R Us in my town has a separate aisle for toys like that. But of course that simply isn't enough to satisfy this woman who can't help but stick her nose in business she doesn't belong in.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Keltoi Samurai
Doesn't Toys R Us carry NERF guns?

The N-Strike line, the follow up N-Strike Elite and the Zombie line, specifically?

Y'know, toys designed to mimic guns, that you then use to shoot your friends?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Oh, look. A fully automatic Nerf Assault Rifle purpose designed for no other reason than shooting up all your playground friends.

And it's been on the market for four years, now, with nary a protest or complaint.

And look: This one's an emplaced machine gun on a tripod, and two years older.

So, what's new in more recent years in the World of Nerf, and the glorifying of shooting all your friends with whatever you find in the back of your parent's closet when searching for Christmas presents?

Derringers

Shotguns

Lever-action repeaters

And a baseball bat so you can swing for the cheap seats, right at your buddy's nugget.

Oh, and don't forget . . . whatever the Hell this is.

And this is marketed directly at children, no less, rather than being something for the older'uns specifically. Why no outrage here?

1. We're in America. Guns are ******** glorious. Plus the Second Amendment protects the rights of children to own and shoot toy guns. Obviously.

2. All drugs are evil and contribute to the downfall of society while killing your children.

It's a fun world we live in isn't it?

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Couldn't she have just not bought the toys if she didn't like them? Why did she have to turn activist and force her beliefs onto others who might have wanted to collect them?

King Noob

I know my toys r us sells figures from the halo games and those are M rated.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Why would Toys R Us be selling Breaking Bad dolls in the first place? Granted, I haven't been to a real Toys R Us in years due to all the ones my family would frequent having closed down years ago, with one being replaced by a Best Buy and the other... I'm not sure. But I would have expected it at a place like Spencer's, but not Toys R Us.
What was her complaint int he first place? That adults buy action figures?

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I agree. Spencer's would be more appropriate.
Why can't Toy R'US just be for kids? Is there a safe place where parents don't need to worry about having their children see something wildly inappropriate?

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I feel like they should not make toys from media rated higher than PG.
If the Breaking Bad toys are gone, might as well get rid of the TF2 ones.

JamesWN's Wife

Colorful Hourglass

I bet this chick whines about the serial killer and Doctor Who figures.Golly woman,the aisles ARE marked.

Two,kids shouldn't know what METH and BREAKING BAD is in the FIRST PLACE.

Can these people go extict? =-=;

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
No we just have Darth Vader... a man who killed a school of Kids.

From Costumes, Watches, Action figures, Headsets, Books, Clothing all right here at Toys R Us

Really look

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces