Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
Elmwood Place, Ohio, Catches 20,000 People Speeding in 2 Weeks

That's ten times the number of people who actually live in the town.

ELMWOOD PLACE, OH (FOX19) -
The Village of Elmwood Place launched an Automated Speed Enforcement Program on Sept. 1.

One 'speed camera' was placed in a school zone on Vine Street and the other was placed in a residential neighborhood. "Both locations have serious speeding problems," said Village Police Chief William Peskin. "This was confirmed during our survey period when more than 20,000 speed violations were recorded in just two weeks. In some cases, drivers were traveling at more than twice the posted speed limit." Authorities say the deployments fully comply with all state laws and local ordinances.

"The reason we are using speed cameras is very clear. If you hit a child going 20 miles per hour, the chance of survival is 95 percent; at 30 mph survivability falls to 65 percent; and at 40 mph there is only a 15 percent chance the child will live. We have clocked drivers going more than 50 mph in front of our elementary school and through residential neighborhoods," said Peskin.

The Chief says there are not enough police officers to provide the range of coverage that an automated system provides. Violators will be issued Notices of Liability with a fine of $105. Collected fines will go towards public safety in the Village of Elmwood Place, according to authorities.

Tim Ayers, spokesperson for Optotraffic told FOX19 if drivers fail to pay the fine and subsequent late fees, drivers will ultimately be turned over to collection agencies.

"They're just trying to make money is all they're doing," said Tina White with ticket in hand.

White does not buy the village safety argument.

"Let's start with all the safety," White suggested. "Like my kids can't walk the streets around here."

Lisa Poe stood on Vine Street with six tickets in hand Wednesday, each showing her driving between 25 and 29 miles an hour in the school zone.

"Anger, hurt, sadness," she said of her reaction to the $630 fines she's facing. "Christmas ain't gonna look all that great anyway, but at least there was one," she said. "With this is doesn't even look like there's going to be one."

Poe says with a warning she could have avoided five of the tickets.

"If it would have been a police officer I would have only gotten one," she said. "'Cause I would have known better."

Even drivers who have not been cited were outraged. "If they want to catch somebody speeding they should get out here and do their job," said Anthony Ruff.

Ayers says Optotraffic supplies the equipment that registers speed and supplies the photos and also handles bookkeeping of ticket payments. Ultimately, however, Ayers says it is up to a sworn officer to issue the citation.

Businesses along Vine Street say they have seen a loss of business.

"Make no mistake. This is about raising money. It's a shakedown of people that happen to be driving through the village. It's something that's of questionable constitutionality," said FOX19 legal analyst Mike Allen.

Allen's greatest concern is drivers' right to due process is being infringed upon. "I think they presume that people that are driving through there that are clocked ... are guilty and you're supposed to be presumed innocent," he said.

"There's no getting around it, the principal drive behind this is to generate income. We're financially in very bad shape," admitted Jerald Robertson, who was one of six village members who voted unanimously in July to put the new speed monitoring system in place.

He says the cameras simply help uphold the law at a time when village resources are strapped. "Somehow or another people are not really considering that aspect: that the law is being broken," Robertson said.

He says he has been surprised by the community's reaction. "There's nothing new in this. This has been going on forever in the state of Ohio; small communities, in order to have money for their police departments, write tickets," said Robertson.

Robertson says businesses have called and threatened to leave town over the issue. With options limited, Robertson says he would be in favor of incorporating the village into a neighboring village like St. Bernard. "I think financially we're no longer viable as a community when you really look at the numbers, but again we're actually a liability. I mean, who would want to absorb us when we'd be an expense?"

Ayers says every morning the devices go through a series of tests sent wirelessly to a control center to monitor proper calibration of the laser used to track speeds.

Elmwood Place Village is the first location in Ohio to place Optotraffic devices on its streets. New Miami police confirm they are also utilizing the devices which have been enforcing speed zones since Monday.

source

Greedy Drake

I dont feel bad for any of those people who got speeding tickets. Like the woman who said well bladdy blah blah is dangerous so I should get out of speeding because its not as bad. What a cop out.

Lonely Regular

7,750 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
Sorry to seem rude, but when it comes to school zones, what moronic kid is gona run into 4 lanes of traffic to get away from the school? Well, thats how it is in my town. There's a junkyard with a electric fence right next to the school. No wonder everyone there but me doesn't slow down, no kid would go in that direction. Why I didn't include myself in that same speed part? Because I don't want to get a ticket! xD

Sparkly Lunatic

Like an above poster I have very little sympathy for these people, especially in regards to the school zone.
I'm very surprised that people are so against it when children are at risk like that.
Not to mention, yeah, they're breaking the law by speeding and should be ticketed for it. Whether its done by an automated system or a police officer shouldn't make a difference, unless the machinery is broken or malfunctioning or something of the like.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. If it's money coming out of their pocket, people are going to be angry.
I bet that they'll be a whole lot sorrier if they hit one of those kids, though.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Oh one hand I know enough information that that Lady may have been driving 35 mph according to her car's speedometer.

On the other hand, I know those Speed Cams with Speedometers have been having so many issues that they some times clock stationary objects as going crazy speeds.

Playful Guildswoman

Vampirate Kitsune
Quote:
Elmwood Place, Ohio, Catches 20,000 People Speeding in 2 Weeks

That's ten times the number of people who actually live in the town.

ELMWOOD PLACE, OH (FOX19) -
The Village of Elmwood Place launched an Automated Speed Enforcement Program on Sept. 1.

Ogden, Kansas, was just outside a huge Army training base, the home of the Big Red One. Its income oweda lot to its being mainly a red light district and a well-known speed trap.

New traffic devices will be a godsend to many small places on highways in the middle of nowhere...

Fashionable Hunter

I want this near my high/middle/county college schools and the municipal building. And our parks. No, seriously. People are seriously assholes on the road and this just proves it again. Put up the cameras, and cash the fines.

There was one time a group of kids and I were walking to the municipal center (which is across from the middle and high schools which are right next to each other) for volunteer forms and there was a silver sedan that decided they were too important to slow the ******** down when they saw one of the kids lagging. That kid's backpack hit the side of the car and the kid went down a good 6 feet from where he was a second ago. The kid was okay, but he was shaken up like mad. And the car kept going.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
FallenFlame
Sorry to seem rude, but when it comes to school zones, what moronic kid is gona run into 4 lanes of traffic to get away from the school? Well, thats how it is in my town. There's a junkyard with a electric fence right next to the school. No wonder everyone there but me doesn't slow down, no kid would go in that direction. Why I didn't include myself in that same speed part? Because I don't want to get a ticket! xD

We drive past a high school two or three days a week, and nearly every time we see them jaywalking across five or six lanes of traffic. All while most drivers don't slow down to 25 MPH like you are supposed to, and just keep doing 40.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff