Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

Source
Quote:
Ladies of New York , you are free to walk bare-breasted through the city! New York City's 34,000 police officers have been instructed that, should they encounter a woman in public who is shirtless but obeying the law, they should not arrest her. This is a good step towards gender parity in public spaces.

This decision means that breast exposure is not considered public lewdness, indecent exposure, or disorderly conduct. It also notes that, should a crowd form around a topless woman, the officer should instruct the crowd to disperse and then respond appropriately if it does not. Relative coverage is no longer a factor.

This policy shift comes after several years of litigation and protest. In the 1992 case People v. Ramona Santorelli and Mary Lou Schloss, the New York Court of Appeals ruled in favor of two women who were arrested with five others for exposing their breasts in a Rochester park, holding the law void as discriminatory. The ruling was put to the test in 2005, when Jill Coccaro bared her breasts on Delancey Street in New York, citing the 1992 decision, and was detained for twelve hours. She subsequently successfully sued the city for $29,000.

In 2007, Go Topless, a national organization supporting gender equality in shirtlessness laws, established Go Topless Day. Dozens of women protest – often topless – in thirty cities around the United States, promoting equal rights to be shirtless. Protests usually include chants of “Free your breasts. Free your minds” and a song “Let ‘em Breathe” to the tune of the Beatles’ “Let it Be.”

While some who have witnessed these events have suggested that "[t]his is extreme liberalism and why America’s in decline” or “t’s degrading to women,” others have been supportive. One man even said he would encourage his wife to join them.

Though bare-breasted women might shock the sensibilities of some in the public, it is encouraging to see the police responding positively to gender bias, even on such a seemingly small scale. After all, no one thinks twice about a man shirtless on a summer day. However, the female n****e or chest is still considered “lewd.” By reminding its officers of this, the NYPD is publicly declaring that it will no longer perpetuate unconstitutional gender discrimination, a standard to which all law enforcement should be held and a decision for which it should be applauded.

Dedicated Student

And peopled tell me there are only few that fight against this... yeah right.

Good for New York.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
I personally don't care as long as it is someone that looks decent bare chested. last thing I'd want to see is a fat man or woman riding around on a scooter (not moped) toppless, not a pretty sight either way.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Good for New York. It's either let women go topless, or mandate that men with moobs are required to wear a top, because I've been to too many pools and seen too many men with breasts much bigger than mine. sweatdrop

Magnetic Reveler

5,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
...... That's great that it is now not against the law for women to go topless..but I wouldn't do it. I am not one to want to go topless in public where all those weirdos gawking at me except for my husband. Other women who wants to do it, more power to you. Just not for me.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Jeremy Kaji
I personally don't care as long as it is someone that looks decent bare chested. last thing I'd want to see is a fat man or woman riding around on a scooter (not moped) toppless, not a pretty sight either way.

Sorry Jeremy but if you think you are going to limit it to just the beautiful people you need to visit peopleofwalmart.com for a refresher course. They are not nude (thank God) but they are definitely a reminder that 'fugly in public' is not a crime.

As to the article - I'm okay with it I guess.
What I find interesting is mentally comparing this with that recent article about the military taking away swimsuit calendars and fitness magazines because those images are degrading to women. So, depending on who you ask, bare boobies okay, boobies covered in swim suits and gym suits - not okay. On the whole I like my country but we send some mixed messages at times.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Body part exposure encourages gender equality how?

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
David2074
Jeremy Kaji

Sorry Jeremy but if you think you are going to limit it to just the beautiful people you need to visit peopleofwalmart.com for a refresher course. They are not nude (thank God) but they are definitely a reminder that 'fugly in public' is not a crime.

What I find interesting is mentally comparing this with that recent article about the military taking away swimsuit calendars and fitness magazines because those images are degrading to women. So, depending on who you ask, bare boobies okay, boobies covered in swim suits and gym suits - not okay. On the whole I like my country but we send some mixed messages at times.

I'm not sure our country knows how to bring the sexes together in harmony. Not sure how to un-objectify women without them objectifying themselves for the sake of discouraging objectification.
MemoriesOfGreen

The argument is that it is discriminatory to allow a man to go topless but not a woman. The most used example that I know of is a man with bigguns can show them off and nobody cares but if a washboard woman takes off her shirt it's shameful and criminal.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
MemoriesOfGreen
David2074
Jeremy Kaji

I'm not sure our country knows how to bring the sexes together in harmony. Not sure how to un-objectify women without them objectifying themselves for the sake of discouraging objectification.

Yeah, there's that angle too. "Look at me! Here's my breasts! So what ever you do think about me as a whole person and don't just think about my breasts!"

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Shyao_Sorceress
...... That's great that it is now not against the law for women to go topless..but I wouldn't do it. I am not one to want to go topless in public where all those weirdos gawking at me except for my husband. Other women who wants to do it, more power to you. Just not for me.

I wouldn't do this either. My titties are reserved for a private audience. I know men too well and going topless in public isn't going to make an equality statement but just put myself on a street lined with the boners of strange men. Awkward.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
David2074

Yeah, there's that angle too. "Look at me! Here's my breasts! So what ever you do think about me as a whole person and don't just think about my breasts!"

I do believe the young folks call 'em 'attention whores' these days.
David2074
MemoriesOfGreen
David2074
Jeremy Kaji

And let's not forget the seemingly significant number of women that seek to be objectified for various reasons.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Shama_okami
MemoriesOfGreen

The argument is that it is discriminatory to allow a man to go topless but not a woman. The most used example that I know of is a man with bigguns can show them off and nobody cares but if a washboard woman takes off her shirt it's shameful and criminal.

I know what the argument is, actually. I just don't see how pouting over a long-time standard for social etiquette is going to bring equality between the sexes. Worrying about whether or not a woman can go topless in public is hardly helping the other issues at hand regarding stereotyping, sexual harassment, and equality in the workplace. It's just ridiculous. You can walk down the sidewalk with your shirt off in NY. Big whoop. Lots of weird s**t goes on in NYC to begin with.
MemoriesOfGreen
Shama_okami
MemoriesOfGreen

I know what the argument is, actually. I just don't see how pouting over a long-time standard for social etiquette is going to bring equality between the sexes. Worrying about whether or not a woman can go topless in public is hardly helping the other issues at hand regarding stereotyping, sexual harassment, and equality in the workplace. It's just ridiculous. You can walk down the sidewalk with your shirt off in NY. Big whoop. Lots of weird s**t goes on in NYC to begin with.

Ah. I see. In that case they claim this is a step toward that goal. This will not do much to get us there, but this combined with that, and that over there, ect.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff