Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Too much Coca-Cola killed mother: coroner

INVERCARGILL: Drinking too much Coke killed mother of eight Natasha Harris, a New Zealand coroner has found.

Ms Harris drank up to 10 litres of Coke every day – equal to more than twice the recommended safe daily limit of caffeine and almost 1 kilogram of sugar.

She died aged 30, on February 25, 2010, from a cardiac arrest. Her partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, found her seated on the toilet, slumped against the wall and gasping for air.

Coca-Cola has argued that the huge quantities of Coke drunk daily by Ms Harris day could not be proven to have contributed to her death.

But in findings released on Tuesday, New Zealand coroner David Crerar said Ms Harris would not have died if it wasn’t for her dependence on Coke.

‘‘I found that, when all of the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died.’’

In the months leading up to her death her health had deteriorated, Mr Hodgkinson said.

‘‘She had no energy and was feeling sick all the time ... She would get up and vomit in the morning.’’

He said her Coke habit had become an addiction: ‘‘She would get moody and get headaches if she didn’t have any Coke and also feel low in energy.’’

Mr Hodgkinson’s mother Vivian said Mr Harris got ‘‘withdrawal symptoms’’ if her Coke ran out, including getting ‘‘the shakes’’ and becoming angry.

The family did not consider Coke was harmful because its labels do not contain warning signs.

The coronial decision revealed Ms Harris likely suffered from a myriad of medical conditions, including a racing heart and ‘‘absent teeth’’, which her family say had rotted out from Coke consumption.
See your ad here

They contend, also, that the amount of Coke Ms Harris drank ruined her children’s teeth, with at least one of her kids being born without enamel.

Ms Harris drank up to 10 litres per day, the coroner estimated – which works out to more than twice the recommended daily caffeine consumption and more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake.

In a statement, Coca Cola said: "The Coroner acknowledged that he could not be certain what caused Ms Harris' heart attack. Therefore we are disappointed that the Coroner has chosen to focus on the combination of Ms Harris’ excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death. This is contrary to the evidence that showed the experts could not agree on the most likely cause".

Friendly Wench

Not surprising. People drink gallons of sugary caffeinated drinks a day and then are surprised when all of their teeth fall out at 25 or they die at a young age? How idiotic can you be, it's not like it's a secret that that crap is bad for you.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Yet another example of having "too much of a good thing." Good, in this case, being a matter of taste of course. So now there will be warning labels on soda about how it's bad to drink an asston of the stuff daily just like there's warnings on how coffee's hot. GEENYUS.

Fluffy Loiterer

Caffeine is a drug, no matter how you go about it. If Coca-Cola think they can get away with avoiding responsibility (Which they can, considering the amount of lobbyists they probably have), they're pure evil. Honestly, it's coke's fault for the state of health the world is in (and I say world, not just America). It's common sense: make a product desirable, then add an addictive agent, and you've got the workings of infinite money. Just imagine how much healthier we would be if caffeinated sodas had the same warning programs as tobacco.

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
With 8 children it's no wonder why she drank so much. emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Greedy Receiver

• I didn't think you needed warning labels to tell you not to drink 10 liters of cola a day.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Copper Shenanigans
Caffeine is a drug, no matter how you go about it. If Coca-Cola think they can get away with avoiding responsibility (Which they can, considering the amount of lobbyists they probably have), they're pure evil. Honestly, it's coke's fault for the state of health the world is in (and I say world, not just America). It's common sense: make a product desirable, then add an addictive agent, and you've got the workings of infinite money. Just imagine how much healthier we would be if caffeinated sodas had the same warning programs as tobacco.
X

User Image

So it's a company's problem if someone doesn't have enough common sense to know too much of anything especially soda is bad?

Also coffee has caffeine in it as well, so coca cola isn't the only company to put caffeine into something. People still smoke too, so what good does a label do? It's not gonna stop people from being stupid. It's sad that she died, but with that much soda a day she should of seen it coming, especially if she was feeling sick every morning.

User Image

Rainbow Admirer

This person had an horrible addiction. No need to put warning labels on coke because this one person lacked the restraint to stop drinking after, say... 5 gallons? Just wow.

Swashbuckling Humorist

14,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Her family didn't think it was a problem when she was drinking over 2 gallons of Coke a day? Even in college I never drank that much!

Witty Phantom

That much Coke can kill someone?
THA MOAR U KNO.

Tipsy Smoker

Dr Jin Love
Copper Shenanigans
X

User Image

So it's a company's problem if someone doesn't have enough common sense to know too much of anything especially soda is bad?

Also coffee has caffeine in it as well, so coca cola isn't the only company to put caffeine into something. People still smoke too, so what good does a label do? It's not gonna stop people from being stupid. It's sad that she died, but with that much soda a day she should of seen it coming, especially if she was feeling sick every morning.

User Image

Thank you. You pretty much summed up what I was going to say.
REMINDS ME OF AN EPISODE OF FREAKY EATERS I THINK IT WAS ATEAST LOL, THERE WAS A LADY THAT DRANK 30 CANS OF COLA A DAY. ******** I DRANK NOTHING BUT WATER,JUICE ON OCCASION, I'D FEEL GUILTY DRINKING JUST ONE SODA LMFAO. IDK HOW PEOPLE CAN HAVE SO MUCH SUGAR IN THEIR DIET ONE COKE HAS LIKE 40-50 GRAMS OF SUGAR THATS ALOT! stressed lol

Adored Sweetheart

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Not surprising. People drink gallons of sugary caffeinated drinks a day and then are surprised when all of their teeth fall out at 25 or they die at a young age? How idiotic can you be, it's not like it's a secret that that crap is bad for you.

Agreed.

Friendly Wench

IM FRAMING HANLEY

Your font style is annoying and caps lock is not necessary.

Friendly Wench

Copper Shenanigans

Yup, Coca cola is to blame for the entire world being fat, even the people who don't drink their products. Dammit Coke, can't you see what you're doing to society?!?! emotion_donotwant
Seriously? Even if they came with a warning label people would still buy them, people still buy cigarettes, right? People know that soda makes them fat and sick, they just don't care.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff