Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
Three New Jersey teachers accused of relationships with their female students at the same school (and it was so public kids were tweeting about it)

Five teachers have been suspended from a high school after alleged sexual relationships between three male teachers and their female students were exposed, with the principal and vice principal of the school accused of covering it up.

Six months ago, a student came to New Jersey Triton High School Principal Catherine DePaul with the disturbing story - she believed another student was involved in a sexual relationship with a teacher at the school, and she had seen explicit text messages the two had exchanged.

At that moment, local prosecutors say, a cover-up was put in motion that ultimately unraveled on Thursday when the principal, vice principal and three teachers were charged with offenses ranging from child endangerment to sexual assault and official misconduct.

Math teacher Dan Michielli, 27, gym teacher and soccer coach Nick Martinelli, 28, and math teacher and track coach Jeff Logandro, 32, are accused of having sex with or inappropriately touching students at the school.

Principal Catherine DePaul and vice principal Jernee Kollock are accused of covering it up.

Each of the five adults has been suspended from the school in the Philadelphia suburb of Runnemede, and each could face at least five years in prison if convicted.

The teachers - all men in their late twenties or early thirties - are accused of striking up relationships with female students during the 2011 - 2012 school year.

Sexual relationships between teachers and students are not uncommon, but what distinguished the alleged events at Triton High was the inaction by administrators who ignored policies and safeguards that were in place and instead allowed a culture 'where teachers thought they could get away with improper relationships with their students', according to Camden County Prosecutor Warren Faulk.

'These charges constitute individual personal, moral, legal and ethical failure,' Faulk said at a news conference on Thursday.

According to Philly.com, students have been talking about the alleged relationships since the summer and since Thursday, many have taken to twitter to express varying reactions of embarrassment, pride and shock.

One student posted:'Triton = Penn state. '

'Everyone knew about this in one way or another, but no one ever said a word to us,' Bud Burke, 18, told the website. 'One day the teachers were here, the next day they weren't, and we had no answers.'

Faulk said rape charges could not be filed because the sex acts were consensual and the girls were 17 or 18 at the time - old enough to consent under state law.

According to court documents, married math teacher Dan Michielli, 27, of Blackwood, had intercourse with a student multiple times during the school year.

He is charged with official misconduct, sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal sexual conduct.

Gym teacher and boys' soccer coach Nick Martinelli, 28, of Cherry Hill is charged with official misconduct involving an 18-year-old.

He allegedly touched and kissed the girl when she was a student and had intercourse with her after she graduated in June.

Math teacher and girls' track coach Jeff Logandro, 32, of Blackwood is charged with official misconduct, criminal sexual contact and endangering the welfare of a child.

A court filing says he inappropriately touched a female student.

Authorities say a student, not one of the alleged victims, told a substitute teacher in April that teachers were 'hooking up' with students.

Authorities say the substitute teacher then told DePaul.

Camden County Prosecutor: Warren W. Faulk announced yesterday that three teachers and two administrators at a New Jersey high school have been arrested on charges stemming from allegations involving sex with students

Prosecutor's Office: Sgt Kevin Kellejan, right, and Mark Chase, section chief of the special prosecutor's unit, left, listen as Camden County Prosecutor Warren W. Faulk announces the charges

Prosecutors say the principal met with the student, who told her she'd been to one of the teacher's homes with a girl who was involved with him and had seen the explicit text messages.

Authorities say that DePaul asked her to write an account of what she had heard and that Assistant Principal Jernee Kollock stayed with the student to help her write the statement, even helping her with her grammar - but also making it seem less serious.

Around the same time, Faulk said, DePaul learned one of the teachers had driven an alleged victim and another student to Ocean City in violation of district policy. But, he said, the teacher was merely reprimanded.

Faulk said neither administrator contacted authorities. Both were charged with official misconduct.

Faulk said DePaul later said she wished she had been more concerned for the students than the teachers.

Parents are, understandably, up in arms over the alleged rumors, and are especially angry with the way they have handled the scandal.

A father, who asked that his name not be published, said the school failed the children miserably.

'They needed to be out in front of this before all these rumors were circulating,' he told Philly.com. 'I know of at least one teacher whose name was thrown out there that was not involved at all.'

The defendants either could not be reached or did not return messages left on Thursday afternoon. All five are due in court October 11.

The teachers were suspended by the Black Horse Regional School District last month, the administrators were suspended on Thursday.

Superintendent John Golden said in a statement that the district was cooperating with authorities, notifying families of students of what allegedly happened and offering counseling.

He said the district had 'zero tolerance' for sexual misconduct and inappropriate behavior of any kind.

'In addition, we have initiated a comprehensive review of our existing policies, protocols and training and education materials to prevent this from happening again at this or any district school,' the statement said.

source

Fashionable Hunter

AHHH I KNOW SOMEONE WHO GOES TO TRITON.

But I think they already graduated D:

Quote:
A court filing says he inappropriately touched a female student.

Is is bad that I giggled?

Playful Guildswoman

Vampirate Kitsune
Quote:
Three New Jersey teachers ...

source

Oops! Need to edit thread title - it says students arrested, post and source say teachers arrested.

EDIT:
584/528 on 3 fish - ty!

Yeow! It got worse - 2 administrators and 3 teachers, that is just crazy!

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
jellykans
Vampirate Kitsune
Quote:
Three New Jersey teachers ...

source

Oops! Need to edit thread title - it says students arrested, post and source say teachers arrested.

Thanks! (Sleep meds are kicking in.) heart

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
It seems both male and female teachers are going down.
I don't get why they can't keep their pants on. Even if you set aside the moral obligations you'd think they would know the odds of getting caught are rather high.

Friendly Wench

Haha, this is just too funny. I always love teachers having sex with 17+ year old students. And now there's three of them in the same school!??! rofl

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
David2074
I don't get why they can't keep their pants on. Even if you set aside the moral obligations you'd think they would know the odds of getting caught are rather high.

People tend to not think with the right heads in these situations.
Working at a school with teen girls must be like working in a candy factory.

It has to be hard to resist tasting the goods.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
"Gym teacher and boys' soccer coach Nick Martinelli, 28, of Cherry Hill is charged with official misconduct involving an 18-year-old.

He allegedly touched and kissed the girl when she was a student and had intercourse with her after she graduated in June."

Well, for this guy in particular at least, the chick was 18 and he did ******** her after graduation. Wouldn't that usually mean that he would be "good to go"? Personally, I used to have a teacher who was right out of college, and who was sexy as hell. Most all of the girls in my class wanted to ******** him. And even resorted to wearing as skimpy of clothes as the school dress code would permit-to I guess try to seduce him in their pants or something blaugh

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
suchs to be them
David2074

Poor impulse control and lack of personal responsibility? Probably emotional immaturity and "magic thinking" that they won't get caught.
Love Muffin88
"Gym teacher and boys' soccer coach Nick Martinelli, 28, of Cherry Hill is charged with official misconduct involving an 18-year-old.

He allegedly touched and kissed the girl when she was a student and had intercourse with her after she graduated in June."

Well, for this guy in particular at least, the chick was 18 and he did ******** her after graduation. Wouldn't that usually mean that he would be "good to go"? Personally, I used to have a teacher who was right out of college, and who was sexy as hell. Most all of the girls in my class wanted to ******** him. And even resorted to wearing as skimpy of clothes as the school dress code would permit-to I guess try to seduce him in their pants or something blaugh

I agree. A teacher romantically involved with a former student (and a legal adult) isn't quite the same thing as a teacher involved with a current student and/or not a legal adult.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Bienaimee R
Love Muffin88

I agree. A teacher romantically involved with a former student (and a legal adult) isn't quite the same thing as a teacher involved with a current student and/or not a legal adult.

Perhaps the parents had some doing with him being prosecuted like the other two? For example, there used to be this guy(19) who lived down the road from me. His GF was 16. Their relationship was technically legal, and even sex between the two was legal.The girls father however (presumably) didn't much care about their situation, and had the boy charged with sexual assault on a minor after he found out they had sex. Surprisingly, he suceeded, and the boy was branded on the sex offender list. I'm not quite sure how the girls father made it possible though, seeing as how his daughters relationship was legal.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
The first few paragraphs just repeat the same bits of info lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers