Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Wow. From what I can see from these Common Core worksheets, it's basically asking little kids to see these simple problems like a Calc I student.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Alluicious
What a lot of people are missing in this discussion is how disgustingly bad a lot of the common core worksheets actually are. Many feature nonsense instructions or are just completely baffling. They tend to look like someone threw a bunch of various learning illustrations on a page so that, at first glance, it looks like an activity paper, but there's no way to figure out what to do.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There's also these example worksheets for grammar which contain sentences praising the government and preaching obedience to authority. It's just creepy propaganda.

I call BS on the last three.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Alluicious
What a lot of people are missing in this discussion is how disgustingly bad a lot of the common core worksheets actually are. Many feature nonsense instructions or are just completely baffling. They tend to look like someone threw a bunch of various learning illustrations on a page so that, at first glance, it looks like an activity paper, but there's no way to figure out what to do.

Presumably they learn it in class. And it's actually easy enough to see how that worksheet is supposed to work if you take half a second to puzzle it out rolleyes

That it's not the same method you learned and you don't want to figure it out is supposed to be a mark against it? rolleyes

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
It doesn't sound like she is a teacher, how exactly could she be 'suspended'?

Also, What are these common cores precisely? Being an activist against something because it has never been tested seems a little cyclical since that, in itself, prevents it from being tested....

Test it first then. Don't turn the students into lab rats for a program that rewards based on explanations, rather than whether the answer is correct.
Want a better example?

Who would you test it on?

According to Common Core, the process of getting to the answer is more important than whether or not it is right. In other words, the kid that does Calculus in his head will fail while the little booger eater that can't figure out that six plus six equals 12, but comes up with his own answer of 93, as long as he can 'show his work' will be the valedictorian.

Right, can you show where it says that showing work alone would be enough to have top marks? rolleyes

Doing it correctly matters. More than one way should be recognized, but a right answer doesn't mean that everything leading up to it was correct. Students make flawed assumptions that may work for a bit then fail when more complexity is thrown in.

Beau

The Herald of War
Alluicious

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXOMZS-IYAElt55.jpg

Presumably they learn it in class. And it's actually easy enough to see how that worksheet is supposed to work if you take half a second to puzzle it out rolleyes

That it's not the same method you learned and you don't want to figure it out is supposed to be a mark against it? rolleyes

If you can tell me what goes in the right hand column, please be my guest. I would love to know what the hell is going on with this worksheet

Beau

xdivision_whitey
Alluicious

There's also these example worksheets for grammar which contain sentences praising the government and preaching obedience to authority. It's just creepy propaganda.

http://cdn.pjmedia.com/tatler/files/2013/11/CC-worksheet2.jpg

I call BS on the last three.

The last three what?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Alluicious
The Herald of War
Alluicious

If you can tell me what goes in the right hand column, please be my guest. I would love to know what the hell is going on with this worksheet

Let's take the middle one as an example, it's the easiest.

37 - 38 - 39 - 40
--------------70 - 71 - 72

Going to the left is an increase of 1, going down is an increase by 10. Presumably they stop at 40 since it's an even 4 tens and switch to tens before going back to increasing by 1

I assume for the others they are supposed to add up the increases in the boxes to solve

Beau

The Herald of War
Alluicious
The Herald of War
Alluicious

37 - 38 - 39 - 40

Going to the left is an increase of 1, going down is an increase by 10. Presumably they stop at 40 since it's an even 4 tens and switch to tens before going back to increasing by 1

Whatever you just did I have never seen before in my life.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Alluicious
The Herald of War
Alluicious
The Herald of War
Alluicious

37 - 38 - 39 - 40

That's not very much a mark against it. Presumably the idea is to start off teaching kids in a different manner. Why, I don't know. Maybe its supposed to be a better way to think about the problem. But this bit certainly wasn't incomprehensible.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
The Herald of War
Alluicious
The Herald of War
Alluicious
The Herald of War
Alluicious

37 - 38 - 39 - 40

That's not very much a mark against it. Presumably the idea is to start off teaching kids in a different manner. Why, I don't know. Maybe its supposed to be a better way to think about the problem. But this bit certainly wasn't incomprehensible.

It is for anyone that is slow and has never learned in those terms.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Nyadriel
The Herald of War
Alluicious
The Herald of War
Alluicious

37 - 38 - 39 - 40

It is for anyone that is slow and has never learned in those terms.

Alright, but this is either for kids who are learning for the first time anyway without preconceptions that may help confuse or for people who will be teaching it and are hopefully not slow.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff