Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
LEGO, the world’s biggest toymaker, is to end its partnership with Shell following a Greenpeace campaign and a chilling viral video.

The YouTube sensation that is 'Everything is not awesome' which shows a beautiful artic landscape fashioned from 120kg of Lego covered in oil attracted nearly six million views.

Lego and Shell have been in partnership since the 1960's, with toys distributed at Shell petrol stations in 26 countries and small shell symbols printed on some lego toys ( garages, oil tankers).

Greenpeace are targeting Shell for their plans to drill for oil in the Arctic.

The group have maintained a sustained campaign opposing Shell, using Lego as a pivot for their actions.

Initially Lego resisted the pressure to break with Shell, but have relented and done a U-turn promising to end their relations with the oil giant when their current contract ends.

According to The Guardian Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, the toy maker's chief executive said: "as things currently stand we will not renew the contract with Shell when the present contract ends".

John Sauven, executive director of Greenpeace UK, said: "It did touch a bit of a raw nerve about the partnership between the two companies that people thought was completely inappropriate.

The power of YouTube: Lego to end their partnership with Shell thanks to a viral video campaign Read more at http://www.maidstoneandmedwaynews.co.uk/Lego-end-partnership-Shell-thanks-viral-video/story-23073701-detail/story.html#IZ8MuxHr8klwBCoz.99

King Noob

Here is the video if anyone is wondering. I had to look it up myself.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Ironic considering that Legos are made in part from petroleum. Wonder where they obtain their butadiene and how ecologically conscientious their suppliers are.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Grace Gubreez

what a waste of some perfectly good legos.
also people shouldn't push one company to break ties with anther cause of the choices one of them is making. rather wasting time targeting lego's contract with them, they should have targeted shell themselves over this.

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Grace Gubreez

Thanks! I knew I forgot to include something!

I've tried Shazam but I couldn't find out who sings that song.
Could you tell me who sings that version of Everything is Awesome?

King Noob

garyoak99
Grace Gubreez

Thanks! I knew I forgot to include something!

I've tried Shazam but I couldn't find out who sings that song.
Could you tell me who sings that version of Everything is Awesome?

I have no idea, maybe it is someone new?

King Noob

shadowmoon522
Grace Gubreez

what a waste of some perfectly good legos.
also people shouldn't push one company to break ties with anther cause of the choices one of them is making. rather wasting time targeting lego's contract with them, they should have targeted shell themselves over this.

yeah that made me real sad.. :c those toys are really special to some kids.

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Grace Gubreez

Yes, although she does have a presence on YouTube. I did some research and I found the name! It's a Sophie Blackburn and her previous videos featuring her covers and songs weren't remotely as popular as this one!

I hope she produces a longer version of Everything is Awesome as I've never heard of a sad version of that particular song until now!

King Noob

garyoak99
Grace Gubreez

Yes, although she does have a presence on YouTube. I did some research and I found the name! It's a Sophie Blackburn and her previous videos featuring her covers and songs weren't remotely as popular as this one!

I hope she produces a longer version of Everything is Awesome as I've never heard of a sad version of that particular song until now!

It was a pretty nice version.

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Grace Gubreez

...and specially valuable to some adults:

Cops: From Arizona to NY, thieves turn Legos into hard cash

King Noob

garyoak99
Grace Gubreez

...and specially valuable to some adults:

Cops: From Arizona to NY, thieves turn Legos into hard cash

eek damn.. people will steal anything these days

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Good, never liked Shell anyway.. maybe partner with another oil company for the lulz. lol

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
First lady scientists, then one of the best films of all time, and now this. Lego keeps getting more and more awesome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff