Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cute Spirit

15,700 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
The Netherlands is closing prisons due to a serious prisoner shortage
Source

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Quote:

It's a happy problem to have: The Netherlands is closing eight prisons (and sadly, cutting 1,200 jobs) because a drop in crime has left the country with a dearth of criminals. It's a reversal from the 1990s, when the prison system was overcrowded, but now the country's all set up for 14,000 prisoners, and only has 12,000 actually incarcerated. The Dutch justice ministry expects the crime rate to keep falling, so the Netherlands is working on an agreement with Belgium to import some 500 Belgian prisoners to the Netherlands' Tilburg prison. This is officially the least-American national problem ever.

CORRECTION: This story above was published without making it clear that the data was from 2009. Last week, the Dutch government announced revised plans to close 19 prisons, according to NOS, a Dutch TV station. The decision was prompted partly by a declining crime rate and by budget cuts, which will result in more prisoners sharing cells and more criminals avoiding jail in favor of electronic tagging.

Sugary Cat

It's not all that bad in the Netherlands... . smile

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
So... repurpose the emptied buildings into different facilities for more jobs?

Undead Enchantress

Make a new business of housing inmates from other countries with overpopulated prisons? Seems like something from a sci-fi novel.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Erynne
Make a new business of housing inmates from other countries with overpopulated prisons? Seems like something from a sci-fi novel.

BREAKING NEWS!! The USA just claimed eminent domain on all of the Netherlands empty prisons! No official statement has been given but, apparently, "storage is low".

Undead Enchantress

Alexander J Luthor
Erynne

BREAKING NEWS!! The USA just claimed eminent domain on all of the Netherlands empty prisons! No official statement has been given but, apparently, "storage is low".
Take over Netherlands from within their prison system. xd

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Erynne
Alexander J Luthor
Erynne

Mr president, what's going to happen when the prisoners are released?

They should probably come back to America.

How? Will you have a flight for convicts? Boats? Will you do anything to get these immigrants back to their home country?

Not our problem.

...Da fuq?

Undead Enchantress

Alexander J Luthor
Erynne
Alexander J Luthor
Erynne

How? Will you have a flight for convicts? Boats? Will you do anything to get these immigrants back to their home country?

Not our problem.

...Da fuq?
Wait...didn't that happen in Australia a very long time ago?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Erynne
Alexander J Luthor
Erynne
Alexander J Luthor
Erynne

Not our problem.

...Da fuq?

... Oh my god, you're kidding me. Please tell me that's a joke and I didn't repeat something that really happened. emotion_facepalm Now I'm inclined to search it up to see if it's true.

Undead Enchantress

Alexander J Luthor
Erynne
Alexander J Luthor
Erynne
Alexander J Luthor
Erynne

Not our problem.

...Da fuq?

... Oh my god, you're kidding me. Please tell me that's a joke and I didn't repeat something that really happened. emotion_facepalm Now I'm inclined to search it up to see if it's true.
Well wasn't Australia a penal colony for the UK? wiki

Well, I'm not sure how your example mirrors what happened in the 18-19th centuray, tbh.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Erynne
Well wasn't Australia a penal colony for the UK? wiki

Well, I'm not sure how your example mirrors what happened in the 18-19th centuray, tbh.

Okay, that's what I found. I thought you were talking something recent.

Devoted Hunter

Maybe America should export some of its' criminals to the Nethers.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Crime rate must be down due to either them killing most serious criminals or they legalizing everything serious including various degree's rape.
They should start a 'war on drugs.' That'll fix the problem.
Sounds like a great problem to have.To bad its not happening anywhere else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff