Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Would you pay $7 for a Big Mac?

If you took your U.S. dollars to Norway, that's how deep the exchange rate would set you back. There, a McDonald's (MCD) Big Mac costs 48 Norwegian kroner, which translates to $7.76 in U.S. dollars.

That makes the krone the most "puffed-up currency" in The Economist's iconic Big Mac index. The magazine created the unofficial economic indicator in 1986 as a lighthearted way to compare currencies and buying power around the world.

According to its latest iteration of the index, released Thursday, Norway's currency is overvalued. There, you pay 62% more than you would in the United States, to get essentially the same product.

So which country has the cheapest Big Mac? It used to be India with it's Big Mac substitute, the Maharaja Mac -- a chicken sandwich. This year though, Ukraine takes that distinction, as political turmoil depresses the value of its currency. There, you can buy a Big Mac for just $1.63, once you transfer your dollars into hryvnia.

As for the average price in the United States, those two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun, cost $4.80 these days.

In China, a Big Mac will set you back $2.73, whereas in Brazil, it's $5.86.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Introducing the $7.76 Big Mac

Kawaii Shoujo

Whoa! That's pretty expensive... there is definitely no way I would purchase a seven dollar Big Mac eek
I dont go to Mcdonalds lol mrgreen

Loyal Exhibitionist

That's one expensive burger. Although Norway may actually be using genuine indigents than processed, frozen and deep fried crap here in the States and prices theirs higher as a result.

Wintry Dragon

That means I should eat twice as many... emotion_omnomnom
What's up with this dude and all his McDonalds threads?

Also, all those exclaimation points in the titles!

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Eh,if the Mac they are making over there was good, I wouldn't mind.xD

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
That's one expensive burger. Although Norway may actually be using genuine indigents than processed, frozen and deep fried crap here in the States and prices theirs higher as a result.
Big Macs are not deep-fried, nor are any other burgers at McD's. IDK what you mean by 'genuine ingredients' either, as the burger patties are simply made from beef seasoned with salt and pepper. Any food that is not in its raw state is defined as processed, so Norway obviously processes their burgers.They are frozen, so you get one out of three.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
oh wow. they are only 3.79 where i live

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Boy that is going to suck for anyone who wants a Big Mac over in China.

Celestial Guardian

60,975 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Worthy Challenger 25
  • Budding Witch 250
... Good thing I don't much care for beef.
I know there's quite a few restaurants here in Ohio that has sandwiches with that kind of price tag on their menus. My family tends to steer clear of those places. sweatdrop
not worth it

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Over here it's 12$...

42 Shekels for those wishing to see for yourselves.

Shy Gaian

I would never ever pay $8 for a Big Mac.

I wouldn't even pay the cheapest price for one!
Their just... Not what they use to be.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces